wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - [ FAQ: member ratings and stars? ] »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:23am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   suggestions, help, and FAQ
(Moderators: william wu, Grimbal, Eigenray, towr, SMQ, Icarus, ThudnBlunder)
   [ FAQ: member ratings and stars? ]
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: [ FAQ: member ratings and stars? ]  (Read 18827 times)
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

[ FAQ: member ratings and stars? ]  
« on: Sep 9th, 2002, 2:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

FAQ: member ratings and stars?

so some people have been asking me what determines how many stars get placed next to your name in the forum. stars are determined solely based on how many posts you make. it's a pavlovian system that came with YaBB that i didn't design. you need to register as a member so the forum software can keep track of how many posts you make. the ranking thresholds are as follows:

15 - junior member
40 - full member
75 - senior riddler
125 - uberpuzzler

these threshholds have been recently slashed from their original values of (50, 100, 250, 500). i think this reduction is appropriate considering the nature of this forum. compared to most other forums on the net, it's relatively difficult to post here. we talk about very complex problems. you might spend many hours on writing just a couple paragraphs. plus there's always some worry about looking stupid -- which i think is actually a good thing, but that's another story. i was reading thoughtful posts by the prolific forum regulars, and it didn't seem right to see labels like "junior member" next to someone who had written 70 or so well thought posts.

btw, if anyone has better ideas for the member ranking names, i'm open to suggestions. riddle freak? puzzle god? Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2002, 3:21am by william wu » IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

Re: [ FAQ: member ratings and stars? ]  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 9th, 2002, 6:49am »

Will,

I am fascinated by my instantaneous leap from three stars to five without a single post!!!  Wink  Imagine, going to sleep a mere Full Member and waking up an Uberpuzzler!!!

on Sep 9th, 2002, 2:24am, william wu wrote:
these threshholds have been recently slashed from their original values of (50, 100, 250, 500). i think this reduction is appropriate considering the nature of this forum. compared to most other forums on the net, it's relatively difficult to post here. we talk about very complex problems. you might spend many hours on writing just a couple paragraphs. plus there's always some worry about looking stupid -- which i think is actually a good thing, but that's another story. i was reading thoughtful posts by the prolific forum regulars, and it didn't seem right to see labels like "junior member" next to someone who had written 70 or so well thought posts.

I definitely agree with this!  I had the same thought when I was a newbie at 30 posts!!!!!

on Sep 9th, 2002, 2:24am, william wu wrote:
btw, if anyone has better ideas for the member ranking names, i'm open to suggestions. riddle freak? puzzle god? Smiley

I think they're pretty good overall, Will -- I was certainly intrigued to see my new "position"!  Cheesy  If anything, "god" sounds better to me than "freak", but I think it's tough to fit into the current hierarchy of names (all of which seem fairly appropriate).

Two questions:

1)  Can you extend the system beyond 5 stars?  Otherwise what reason do Uberpuzzlers have to live??!  Wink  Seriously, though, I would anticipate the possibility of a crunch at the top at some point in time, unless you decide to re-up the limits.  Wink
2)  Why don't the positions show up in the membership list?

Best,
Eric
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2002, 6:51am by Eric Yeh » IP Logged

"It is better to have puzzled and failed than never to have puzzled at all."
AlexH

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 9th, 2002, 7:07pm »

I have to agree with Eric ... while I wasn't looking the bell rang me up to uberpuzzler and I didn't get a chance to salivate, how can I carry on?  

In keeping with the spirit of the forum it might be interesting to have the titles come according to some unknown pattern so we can collectively determine the thresholds and try to solve the pattern.
IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 9th, 2002, 7:16pm »

Although let me be quick to add (before some horrible fate overtakes us) that I am not at all willing to give up my uberpuzzler status at this point  Wink  Wink  Cheesy
IP Logged

william wu

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13th, 2002, 8:19am »

Quote:

In keeping with the spirit of the forum it might be interesting to have the titles come according to some unknown pattern so we can collectively determine the thresholds and try to solve the pattern.

That is a GREAT idea! You guys are so clever. OK I'll see if I can extend the titles further.

Eric: The members list positions column refers to things like "admin" or "moderator", it doesn't show member ratings. I'll look into getting the ratings listed if possible.

For Eric's sake I'll leave the uberpuzzler title around for a little while  Cheesy
IP Logged

Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 20th, 2002, 6:30am »

Will,

The strange thing is that if you click into someone's profile, you will see that they do define Position as the name of the rating.  The rest of the data from the profile is copied straight into the members list, so the asymmetry seems quite strange to me.

More on naming:  After some thought, I decided that I believe "Junior Member" and "Full Member" to be "wastes" of titles in soem sense.  You are throwing away the option to make two categories that are more colorful!  My suggestion would be to change at least one to "Junior Riddler".  Possibly:

Newbie - JR - R - SR - UP

but even that seems wasteful; maybe:

N - JR - SR - UP - PG,

although I am loathe to give up UP, and it would also outdate my Puzzle Forum narrative!!!!!  Perhaps it would be better for the long run, though...

Of course, if you can extend it to beyond 5, that would be far far superior!!!!!

And just to clarify your statment about the changing titles etc.:  The titles themselves will never change after a point, right?  They should at most be changing in cutoff.  (As I mentioned before, I think the cutoffs may currently be slightly low -- for the long term.)

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

TimMann
Senior Riddler

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12th, 2002, 2:55pm »

Hmm, colorful names...

I like Uberpuzzler and Senior Riddler, and we wouldn't want to mess up Eric's Puzzle Form puzzle, so I'd say to keep those.

How about:

Newbie - Junior Solver - Enigmatist - Senior Riddler - Uberpuzzler
IP Logged

http://tim-mann.org/
TimMann
Senior Riddler

« Reply #7 on: Oct 12th, 2002, 2:59pm »

... or if you really like Enigmatist (I do!), you could do

Newbie - Junior Riddler - Senior Riddler - Enigmatist - Uberpuzzler

OK, I'll stop now.
IP Logged

http://tim-mann.org/
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 12th, 2002, 4:13pm »

Tim,

I agree that there's no doubt Enigmatist sounds cool.  My problem with it is that it sounds difficut to place, not knowing anything about it.  Your second post illustrates this point exactly:  is E>SR, or E<SR??  Hard to say what should be, unlike N<JR, UP<PG, etc.

I agree it is something to be thought about, though!

I also don't like the asymmetry btwn "jr solver" and "sr riddler" -- I'm not sure if that was just a typo, though.

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

Lupin

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17th, 2003, 10:00am »

Maybe these:

• Novice
  • Apprentice
  • Solver
  • Riddler
  • Master Riddler
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2003, 10:02am by Lupin » IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 24th, 2003, 3:37pm »

novice sounds all right v newbie, tho it would change lore a bit  Wink  but i think uberpuzzler is still far and away best for top honors!  (plus, some of those others sound a bit similar to me...)
IP Logged

Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 12th, 2003, 1:07pm »

eh.  i got downgraded.  whats up w that??!

hahaha jk.
IP Logged

mistysakura

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12th, 2003, 10:56pm »

Yeah, people are being "degraded" - I seem to remember Speaker and myself as Senior Riddlers, for instance.  What happened?  People with 300 posts are meant to be uberpuzzlers...
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2003, 10:57pm by mistysakura » IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #13 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 1:56am »

interesting how this is leaving everyone puzzled..

But the reason the thresholds where lowered in the first place is because william didn't think people would post as much as they do.. But, since they do, the thresholds can be set higher (though I suppose one could also invent new intermediate ranks)
On the other hand one could dispose of rank alltogether, that why it won't be an issue..
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2003, 1:57am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
william wu

« Reply #14 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 3:18am »

hehe ... don't worry guys ... once i figure out how to hack this forum properly and insert intermediate ranks, we'll have plenty of grandiloquent titles and crypto-encoded post threshholds for everyone Smiley

let me try to get this math symbol / smiley hack working properly first ... Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2003, 3:19am by william wu » IP Logged

Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 5:48am »

no worries; i know ive been gone for ages.  im still not sure why after a year ppl suddenly started writing to [several different ones of] my watch threads again!!  o well  Tongue

and no, i was never "puzzled" towr, haha.  just joking around.  as you can see from my original posts to this board (starting from #2), i always thought the thresholds should be higher too.  and its good that im finally given a chance to moonlight as a senior puzzler, since ive never been one before!!!  hahahahaha  Wink

and will, my only humble suggestion is that you are very careful to preserve "sensibility" if you insert many new titles.  
as may be evident again from my earlier posts to this very thread, i find it really funny when a title structure encompasses levels which are not clearly different from one another.  in the current scheme i think it is easy to see which title is "better" for any two titles...  i hope it will remain that way!!

o -- and ive also always thought that contributors should get something distinguishing too  Wink  but i know i know, thats getting greedy hahaha.
IP Logged

william wu

« Reply #16 on: Aug 29th, 2003, 3:12am »

on Sep 9th, 2002, 6:49am, Eric Yeh wrote:
2)  Why don't the positions show up in the membership list?

update: membership list has been revamped. members are now ordered from greatest number of posts to least. also displayed are ranks, country flags, bar graphs, registration dates, e-mail addresses, homepages, and links to four different instant messaging screennames (forum IM, ICQ, YIM, AIM) Smiley
IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #17 on: Sep 1st, 2003, 2:09pm »

I assumed when you changed the scales again that you had changed them back to the defaults (50, 100, 250, 500). But I see that Maryl has over 500 posts but is still listed as a Senior Riddler.

What are the new cutoffs?
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
william wu

« Reply #18 on: Sep 1st, 2003, 10:29pm »

I shifted it to 50, 150, 300, 600. This was intended to be a temporary threshold sequence until the forum is modified to have additional membergroups (ranks). However, adding ranks turned out to be more difficult than I expected due to boring technical issues (recent modifications affecting intended modifications, incompatibilties with the version of YaBB we're running, etc). I'll try again.
IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #19 on: Sep 2nd, 2003, 4:25pm »

It's no skin off my nose, obviously. I was just curious. Smiley
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Sep 2nd, 2003, 7:58pm »

That is easy for you to say, Icarus. You weren't demoted from Uberpuzzler down two levels to Fool Member, like me.   Cry

I just need to be more prolific to improve my status.
IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #21 on: Sep 3rd, 2003, 1:30am »

Don't you dare, SWF; no one could produce posts to your standard in abundance, without sacrificing quality. In the words of Gauss, pauca sed matura, which means, "few, but ripe".  Cool
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2003, 1:34am by Sir Col » IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #22 on: Sep 3rd, 2003, 3:32pm »

on Sep 3rd, 2003, 1:30am, Sir Col wrote:
Don't you dare, SWF; no one could produce posts to your standard in abundance, without sacrificing quality. In the words of Gauss, pauca sed matura, which means, "few, but ripe".  Cool

Ahh! So this shows what you think of James', Towr's, and my posts! Wink

I guess the words me would be "many, and overipe!"  Cheesy
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #23 on: Sep 3rd, 2003, 3:53pm »

multi et super matura   Tongue

To dig myself out of the hole, I need to point out that one of my heroes, Leonhard Euler, was both prolific and profound in his mathematics. Did you know that, of all the science produced in the 18th century, Euler produced one-third of it? I kid you not.
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
maryl

Email

« Reply #24 on: Sep 3rd, 2003, 5:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Sep 1st, 2003, 10:29pm, william wu wrote:
I shifted it to 50, 150, 300, 600. This was intended to be a temporary threshold sequence until the forum is modified to have additional membergroups (ranks). However, adding ranks turned out to be more difficult than I expected due to boring technical issues (recent modifications affecting intended modifications, incompatibilties with the version of YaBB we're running, etc). I'll try again.

Actually, I think these numbers make more sense; oh I don't mind sweating a little longer-it always makes you appreciate things more.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »