wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - [ FAQ: member ratings and stars? ] »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 10:20pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   suggestions, help, and FAQ
(Moderators: towr, Eigenray, Icarus, william wu, SMQ, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder)
   [ FAQ: member ratings and stars? ]
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: [ FAQ: member ratings and stars? ]  (Read 18834 times)
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

Re: [ FAQ: member ratings and stars? ]  
« Reply #25 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 2:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 3rd, 2003, 3:53pm, Sir Col wrote:
Did you know that, of all the science produced in the 18th century, Euler produced one-third of it?

No, I didn't.

on Sep 3rd, 2003, 5:03pm, maryl wrote:
I don't mind sweating a little longer-it always makes you appreciate things more.

That's right. If it weren't for those poor newbies, one could up the thresholds every once in a while. Although more ranks would be the right track, I think.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2003, 2:36am by wowbagger » IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #26 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 3:46pm »

multi et super matura   Tongue

Thanks! I needed a new signature!  

Quote:
To dig myself out of the hole, I need to point out that one of my heroes, Leonhard Euler, was both prolific and profound in his mathematics. Did you know that, of all the science produced in the 18th century, Euler produced one-third of it? I kid you not.

I didn't know that particular number, but I knew that he was far and again the most prolific researcher of all time. Also, last I heard not all of his work has yet been published. There is a committee dedicated to publishing it.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #27 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 6:44pm »

Did you know that, of all the science produced in the 18th century, Euler produced one-third of it? I kid you not.

One-third!? Not even Icarus has that high percentage of the posts in this forum.  Actually, I think this statement about Euler is a slight exaggeration. I was able to find several links on Euler with this statement:
Quote:
His 866 books and articles represent about one third of the entire body of research on mathematics, theoretical physics, and engineering mechanics published between 1726 and 1800.

That does not cover all the sciences or the whole 18th century. In that century there were plenty of important discoveries in chemistry, for example.

Not that I have anything against Euler. His achievements are remarkable, and he has been my favorite mathematician/scientist/engineer for some time. Favorite mathematicians may be a good topic of discussion for another thread, since Euler does not have enough posts to qualify as a one-star Newbie.  
IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #28 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 8:49am »

I just noticed my post count, 559, as I post, and I was thinking how silly it is that I will be an Uberpuzzler in 41, or so, posts. When I compare my puzzle solving skills with the experts on this site it hardly seems right that a post count should determine the rank; after all, I rarely advance beyond the 'Easy' puzzle section, and my attempts at many of the 'Medium' and 'Hard' puzzles are, at best, brave. And, no moderators, please don't start deleting my posts to 'fix' the problem!  Tongue

So I have a suggestion for the members' rating system, albeit rather contentious. The moderators award ranks over time to promising members. It should be partly related to post count, as it would be equally unfair to promote a member if they only solves one puzzle a week; even though their solution is earth-shattering.

It is certainly true that the moderators are regular visitors and get to know other regular visitors. The ranking system, although it does appeal to the ego on one level, should be as a guide to newbies and casual visitors, to give them some indication of the puzzle solving skill of the member they're interacting with. Over time, and to regulars, there is little doubt who are the experts, but imagine walking into a lecture room with a question, and addressing the janitor just because he's standing at the front.
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #29 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 6:02pm »

Now, don't be fooling with things like that! I'm ahead of towr and James the way things are now, so don't be messing with it! Angry

Besides, didn't you ever watch "Good Will Hunting"? That janitor might be just the guy you need!
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #30 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 12:36am »

on Oct 27th, 2003, 8:49am, Sir Col wrote:
When I compare my puzzle solving skills with the experts on this site it hardly seems right that a post count should determine the rank;
I often have the same feeling (about my own rank Wink)
Pretty much in every field we touch on in this forum there's someone vastly more skilled than me.. Though I guess I'm pretty well-rounded.

Quote:
So I have a suggestion for the members' rating system, albeit rather contentious. The moderators award ranks over time to promising members. It should be partly related to post count, as it would be equally unfair to promote a member if they only solves one puzzle a week; even though their solution is earth-shattering.
That also depends a little on how long they've been coming every week. There are a few 'regulars' that don't show up here often, but are nonetheless exceptional puzzlers..
Some people do have a life, after all Wink
I don't think I would be too comfortable handing out ranks though, enivitably you'll get people wondering 'why did he/she get a rank, but not me?'. If it's automatic than there's no such problem.

Quote:
It is certainly true that the moderators are regular visitors and get to know other regular visitors. The ranking system, although it does appeal to the ego on one level, should be as a guide to newbies and casual visitors, to give them some indication of the puzzle solving skill of the member they're interacting with.
If rank is to give some indication of puzzle-solving skill, then it should probably also reflect what kind of puzzles someone is skilled in.  
Maybe we could just try to implement William's massively multiplayer online puzzle roleplaying game Wink

Quote:
Over time, and to regulars, there is little doubt who are the experts, but imagine walking into a lecture room with a question, and addressing the janitor just because he's standing at the front.
If nothing else he could give direction to how can answer the question..
I don't really think it's much of a problem here though, if someone has a question they just post it, and some experts will usually swarm to it like flies to a rotting carcas (maybe not the best analogy Wink)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
srn437

the dark lord rises again....

« Reply #31 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 10:43pm »

Who keeps shifting them and is it related to the robots attacking the server?
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #32 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 1:06am »

*Sigh* again with the gravedigging. Why can't you leave multiple-year-old threads to rest in peace; especially when you don't contribute to them in the slightest.

on Sep 19th, 2007, 10:43pm, srn347 wrote:
Who keeps shifting them and is it related to the robots attacking the server?
It has nothing to do with bots.
The ranks are attributed automatically by the forum, and the thresholds are set by the admin.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »