wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Problems With Accessing Forum »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 10:29am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   suggestions, help, and FAQ
(Moderators: SMQ, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, Eigenray, william wu, towr)
   Problems With Accessing Forum
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Problems With Accessing Forum  (Read 950 times)
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

Problems With Accessing Forum  
« on: Sep 12th, 2003, 4:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You may be aware of this now, William/Moderators, and I'm not sure were to post it. I guess this area is as good a place as anywhere...

I was unable to access the forum for most of 12 September 2003 from England. I tried several different computers, all connected to the internet via different ISPs. I understand from a couple of posts that Icarus has problems too, but William was unaware of any problems from his connection. Perhaps we could help William by letting him know if we also had problems and where in the world we were trying to connect from.
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

Re: Problems With Accessing Forum  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2003, 9:41pm »

Did you get a message along the lines of "Service temporarily unavailable, please try again later"? If so, this was expected because the OCF servers were undergoing maintenance.
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Ragna

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2003, 11:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

There was a (scheduled) power outage in the building where the ocf server is housed. It lasted from about midnight to this morning (Pacific time). There were some other minor problems with the server but they appear to have been fixed now.
IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13th, 2003, 1:44am »

I got that message from about midnight (nearly 10 hours ago), but througout the day, yesterday (12 Sep), it simply wouldn't connect: "Page cannot be displayed" error, I think. I managed to find some windows of opportunity just before midnight, and judging by the lack of posts throughout the day, I assumed that more people had been affected.

On another issue, are you aware that the search doesn't seem to work anymore, William? No matter how restrictive the search is, I always get the following message: "The requested number of results is higher then the maixmum number allowed by the system"
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2003, 2:42am by Sir Col » IP Logged

Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13th, 2003, 3:51pm »

I have had a few problems accessing the forum at times. Usually though it is some system outage such as has been mentioned, or internet problems. Later attempts have worked just fine. My latest problem has not been with access, but in getting the forum to recognize me. And this is clearly a problem in my own machine, since I have no problems when using other computers, such as the one I'm on now.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13th, 2003, 4:41pm »

HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!

Problem is solved. I had raised my security level on IE to high some time back. It was rejecting the cookie sent with the login.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14th, 2003, 2:19pm »

What about the problems I mentioned with the 'Search' facility? Has anyone else noticed this too?
IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14th, 2003, 2:58pm »

I KNEW there was something I was intending to mention to William, but had forgotten!

The search function suddenly will no longer work for any number of posts above 20, saying that the requested number is larger than the max allowed by the system.

Since the DEFAULT value is 50, this is particularly annoying.

So William, was the restriction on search size deliberate, or an accident? (I notice that the "ALL" option has disappeared from the  
"show this members latest posts" link on the profiles page, as well.)
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14th, 2003, 4:10pm »

Thanks; problem fixed by shifting upper bound on search results to 100. Upper bound on recent posts by a user is now 50. The restrictions are deliberate due to security issues.
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »