wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - test attachments »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 1:19am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   suggestions, help, and FAQ
(Moderators: SMQ, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, william wu, towr, Grimbal, Icarus)
   test attachments
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: test attachments  (Read 5796 times)
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: test attachments  
« Reply #25 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 7:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 7th, 2006, 4:57pm, Sameer wrote:
I stopped reading after windows ME. Sir, you need to buy Windows XP.
Why? It's already been superseded by vista, hasn't it.
Besides unless you can get a cheap OEM version, windows is rediculously overpriced. Just switch to linux, at least it's free.  
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #26 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 12:01pm »

I certainly agree that just about anything is better than ME (I once used it for about 3 months, and will never forgive Microsoft for deigning to sell such garbage - I even had better luck with Windows 95).  

As for Alien's problem: I don't know anything about winamp. All I can tell you is that the "always logged in" feature works by a cookie stored on your PC. If it is failing for you, then my guess has to be that something is deleting, or otherwise corrupting, the cookie.

Double check your settings for this site to make sure that the "always logged in" box is checked. Then hunt down the "wu forums" cookies in your cookie folder. Once you know what the cookies are, exit or log off or reboot, or do whatever it is that happens between your visits here where the logged-in part fails. Before visiting the forums again, check to see if the cookies you identified are still there.

If any are gone, then you will need to track down what is deleting them. If they aren't, I'm out of ideas as to what could be wrong. You may want to send a message to William to ask him about it.  Sad
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
alien

Email

« Reply #27 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 12:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I suppose ME is no match for XP, but I choose this 'garbage' over XP regarding interface. Of course, I need to upgrade my PC, but if you ask me, XP's interface belongs to garbage department, not ME's.
IP Logged
alien

Email

« Reply #28 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 12:45pm »

Yes, this is a cookie mystery.  Huh I reboot, and the wu cookie is still there. Then I connect to this forum, and that is the precise moment when the cookie disappears. After logging in for the zillionth time, the cookie appears. But why was it deleted when I pressed the standard link connecting to this forum? Yet another riddle still unsolved..
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #29 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 12:58pm »

I do have an explanation.  Cookies time out.  They have a validity deadline.  It makes sense that this deadline is checked at the time the cookie is needed.  Your browser finds the cookie, reads it, finds it is outdated and deletes it.
IP Logged
alien

Email

« Reply #30 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 2:53pm »

Any way to get around this? Do I write certain date somewhere, alter IE settings, or my hands are tied in this matter? Can I delete all other cookies, except for the one in question, will that help? It is not a big problem, but it is a bit annoying.   Wink
IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #31 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 4:34pm »

This is a bit of a stab in the dark, but... a common reason for this is that you may have recently had your system date/time set incorrectly. When you visit the forum, the cookie is updated with a "current" time/date stamp based on your PC system time/date. If your system time was wrong and you fixed it, then the next time you log in the cookie would be checked and it would now have expired, hence deleted.
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #32 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 12:32am »

The expiration for the forum cookies on my computer are set in the year 2038, and I doubt it's much different for others. So it's unlikely they are expiring.

Have you tried using another browser and seeing if you have the same problem there?
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #33 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 4:09pm »

Is the date/time on your PC operating correctly? If you have a hardware problem that prevents your PC from properly tracking time, that may explain the dilemma. Date comparisons at the ends of the "epoch" are a little dicey, so it may think its default date (Jan 1, 1970 for MS products) is actually greater than the 2038 cookie date.

The problem I had with ME was that it gave me the joy of having to reboot my computer on average at least once a day (some days I would get by without it hanging, but others it would hang two or three times). All I was doing was web-surfing - and not even to intensive sites (mostly web comics). Switching to 2000 Office solved that problem, and XP has given me no trouble at all. Maybe MS has fixed the bugs in ME since then, but I still consider the fact that they released it in the condition they did to be fraud.

XP can be set up to mimic the "classic" Windows user interface (I half do this). Just right-click on the background to bring up the properties and choose the Appearances tab, the choose "Windows Classic Style" in the Windows & Buttons pull-down. Then right-click on the Start button, choose properties, and the "Classic Start Menu" radio button.  

I prefer the new menu structure, but found the new look annoying.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2006, 4:12pm by Icarus » IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #34 on: Oct 10th, 2006, 3:16am »

I get spontaneously logged out every few days (XP, Firefox)

No idea why, but it also happens (very rarely) on other sites - at least here it's frequent enough for me to remember my password...
IP Logged
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #35 on: Oct 10th, 2006, 9:07am »

It only happens to me if I switch my internet connections i.e. get off my office's internet to home wirless , etc.. Otherwise I always stay logged on as long as I don't switch.
IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
alien

Email

« Reply #36 on: Oct 10th, 2006, 12:15pm »

Now that I think about it, this Windows ME really is more of a recycle bin than OS. It is full of bugs. I thought virus was responsible for these troubles, but now I see, it is ME. Well, not me, rather ME. But I use it because my printer is also special, in that, it works only with ME.  Lips Sealed
IP Logged
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #37 on: Oct 10th, 2006, 2:40pm »

on Oct 10th, 2006, 12:15pm, alien wrote:
Now that I think about it, this Windows ME really is more of a recycle bin than OS. It is full of bugs. I thought virus was responsible for these troubles, but now I see, it is ME. Well, not me, rather ME. But I use it because my printer is also special, in that, it works only with ME.  Lips Sealed

That is the reason for my first post where I said "I stopped reading after ME" ... ME has been the worst OS that ever came out of microsoft.. even DOS is better than ME.. in either case I have huge appreciation for XP.. its one of their best and most stable products.. (at least for home/office uses) .. Linux is definitely free however u need to be a little tech savvy to use it.. I have XP home on my home PC.. XP Pro on my work PC as well as Linux Server/Windows 2000 advanced server which i use via VNC. All in all I use everything everyday. But for home use XP home is what i will recommend.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2006, 2:41pm by Sameer » IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

Re: test attachments   afro.gif
« Reply #38 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 10:48am »

test attachment : afro smiley below
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2006, 10:49am by william wu » IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »