wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - need help with penny track game »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 5:26pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   suggestions, help, and FAQ
(Moderators: Eigenray, Grimbal, SMQ, Icarus, towr, ThudnBlunder, william wu)
   need help with penny track game
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: need help with penny track game  (Read 4090 times)
priyagopi76

need help with penny track game  
« on: Aug 24th, 2004, 9:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can I get some hint on solving the penny track game?

There are three one-dimensional tracks, of length 12, 7, and 5 spaces respectively. You start with pennies in the first space of each track; your opponent starts with pennies in the last space of each track. On your turn, you may move any one of your pennies any number of spaces in either direction along a track (as a chess rook), however you are not permitted to bypass the other player's penny or occupy its space. If a player has no legal move, he loses.  

What should your first move be?

Thanks  
Priya

IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

Re: need help with penny track game  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25th, 2004, 5:48am »

This is a thinly disguised version of one of the Nim-like puzzles. If you look in the Easy forum for a thread with the word "pearl" in the title you should (if memory serves) find a general solution.
IP Logged
Ladadadada

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21st, 2008, 7:21pm »

I must be confused about how this game works because I can't see any challenge at all in winning if you go first.

I have to assume that when the puzzle said "move any one of your pennies any number of spaces" that zero spaces was not allowed.  Otherwise the game would always end in a stalemate with both players having legal moves and neither player willing to give up any ground.  In fact, even a trapped penny would still have a legal move of moving zero spaces.

Here is the opening position with my penny (M) in the first space and his penny (H) in the last space of each track.

|M| | | | | | | | | | |H|

|M| | | | | |H|

|M| | | |H|

For my first move I move my penny as far as I can on the longest track.

| | | | | | | | | | |M|H|

|M| | | | | |H|

|M| | | |H|

For his first move he will (presumably) move his penny as far as he can on the second longest track.

|M|H| | | | | |

|M| | | |H|

And following this I move my third penny to the far end of the remaining track.

|M|H| | | | | |

| | | |M|H|

Now he only has one penny that has a legal move.  He must move it at least one space.  No matter how far he moves his penny I will move my penny as far as I can on the same track leaving him only one legal move again until he ends up at the far end of the track and has no legal moves left.

Have I completely misinterpreted the rules of the game or is it really that simple ?
IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:30am »

If you  do
|M| | | | | |H|
|M| | | |H|

I do
|M| | | |H| | |
|M| | | |H|
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »