wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Some suggestions... »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 11:10am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   suggestions, help, and FAQ
(Moderators: Eigenray, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, william wu, Icarus, Grimbal, towr)
   Some suggestions...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Some suggestions...  (Read 1425 times)
Locke64

My goal in life is to never achieve anything.

Some suggestions...  
« on: Jan 6th, 2007, 10:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have no idea whether or not anyone has suggested these (most likely yes), but here are my ideas:

-Have a 'user(s) viewing this page' function, or put a button in the 'users online' section that shows where each member is (what page they're on).

-Longer sigs (255 characters?!?  And I thought 500 was rediculous...)

-Better smilies: cowboy hats?!? O_o  At least make a setting where I can chose never to use the smilies other than checking that box every time I want to post.

-censors

-avatars should be 64x64.  64 is a much better number than 65. ;)

-HTML!!!!

Thank you for reading those.  As a reward, I will post some positive things about the forum.

-good moderators:  Nice and active.

-lots of YABBC tags:  The forum that I usually go to uses HTML, but all the good tags don't even work! (like table, span style, marquee, glow, etc.)

-members make new members feel welcome:  They don't (usually) flame people who post stupid things.

-good riddles!:  I think that if I stay here and read a lot of riddles, it may help my thinking process and will lead to being more intelligent. :P
IP Logged

"Smart people don't care about homework and all that crap." ~ANTISNAKERZ_RULE
"Do you care about homework and all that crap?" ~LOCKE64
"Not really, but-" ~ANTISNAKERZ_RULE
"You just proved yourself wrong!" ~LOCKE64
Ghost Sniper
Senior Riddler

Do not hide. It is useless.

Re: Some suggestions...  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 6th, 2007, 10:53am »

Locke don't forget that this forum has a lot more functions than Nsider has.
IP Logged

*sob* I miss my mommy... *blows nose* huh, I'm on? oh right.

(thinks to self) Time for my speech to these college kids.

"Reason is more important than all emotions..."
Locke64

« Reply #2 on: Jan 6th, 2007, 12:36pm »

Also, put subcategories in each of the riddle categories to put solved ones.
IP Logged

Locke64

« Reply #3 on: Jan 6th, 2007, 5:29pm »

Another big one: Macros.  If you don't know what macros are, my website (not that I own it...) has them.  Though I'm not sure if you can use them with BBCode forums.
IP Logged

towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 7th, 2007, 8:12am »

First off, you shouldn't expected any changes any time soon. Our admin has been pretty much absent for the last few years. Real life is keeping him occupied..
Also, this site is already straining the server enough as it is. (You might notice that it is frequently sluggish) Any more functions would only worsen that.  

Aside from that, my own opinion is that added functions generally make a forum function less. Too many bells and whistles tend to make any actual discussion inaudable (although that's mostly experience from other forums with less sensible people)
What that amounts to, though, is that if any functionality were added, I'd also want the option to turn that off for my personal view of the place. If people want sigs a page long; I don't want to have to see it. If people want avatars a mile wide, same thing. Preferably, I'd like forum that is to a high degree personalizable.
On the serverside that's not feasable at the moment though. A few small changes perhaps, but nothing that would make the 'neighbours' complain. (Perhaps one day we could get a dedicated server, and have bit more space and bandwidth for nice extras. But that won't be soon.)

on Jan 6th, 2007, 10:19am, Locke64 wrote:
-Longer sigs (255 characters?!?  And I thought 500 was rediculous...)
Actually, 255 is quite long, if someone neglects to put any spaces in it. (Someone had that a while back, which broke the forum layout on every page it was used).
Personally, I'm not at all a fan of signatures, which often turn into miniature webpages. On other forums I simply have them turned off if possible.  
It would seem reasonable to me, that if they are used, there is at least a limit to the actual size (rather than the number of characters).

Quote:
-Better smilies: cowboy hats?!? O_o  At least make a setting where I can chose never to use the smilies other than checking that box every time I want to post.
That's a good idea actually. It won't happen though, our admin being awol.  

However, if you install greasemonkey, you can make a script that always automatically check that box.
It's great for user-customization of webpages (come to think of it, I could use it to do any number of things to reduce bothersome features people use. Maybe I should work on an anti-marquee and anti-glow script..)

Quote:
-censors
? I'm not sure what you mean here.
I'm not for censoring in the sense of someone stopping someone else from saying things.

Quote:
-HTML!!!!
On any other forum I'd probably scream "GOD NO!!", because the general internet populace can't be trusted with such options. But it might not be too bad here. On the other hand, the YaBB tags work fine for almost anything you need. (It's just a bit of a bother if you want to copy code from a page, like tables).

Quote:
Also, put subcategories in each of the riddle categories to put solved ones.
I'm not sure how usefull that would be. It's sometimes hard to say a riddle is definitely solved, and sometimes there are followups in the same thread. And we usually come up with tons of alternatives.
Anything past the first page or two of a category can generally be said to be solved. Although a few slip by sometimes. (And some puzzles are near impossible to solve in the firts place).

Quote:
Another big one: Macros.  If you don't know what macros are, my website (not that I own it...) has them.  Though I'm not sure if you can use them with BBCode forums.
I know what macros are, but not what you mean with them in this context. In a sense the YaBBC tag buttoms are macros, shortcuts for inserting the tag they represent.
You could use greasemonkey to make a whole range of things and insert it into a page, at no cost to the server.
Or bookmarklets; e.g. I have an unhide button. You could make a folder on your toolbar with tons of bookmarklet type macros.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 7th, 2007, 3:22pm »

As I understand it, the reason for YaBB tags (which are actually a more general standard that YaBB adopted) is that full HTML introduces security risks. The YaBB tags implement only portions of HTML that are safe. Other sites that use HTML only allow a limited version for the same reason, which I assume is why you found some tags that didn't work on those sites. By using a different format, YaBB doesn't pretend to have full HTML. I very much suspect that macros are not available for exactly the same reason.

As for the smileys, William used to switch them out every so often. He put up the cowboy hat smileys shortly before he got involved in other things and stopped spending much time here, so we've had them ever since. Quite frankly, I don't see how they are better or worse than any other smileys. If you find them that bothersome, then I would suggest not using them on any site that you design. Wink (Of course, you can also set up a greasemonkey script, like towr suggests. You could even get it to replace all smileys with emoticons, so that you wouldn't be subjected to them in other people's posts, either! Tongue)

I agree with towr about long signatures, though I don't mind short ones. Short pithy remarks are enjoyable, but long treatises make you a bore. If we had longer signatures, I too would want some means of turning them off.

And concerning censorship: Censoring is the one thing that towr and I could do that is on your list. I have on a few occasions censored something, but it was not done lightly. I have only done it when I saw someone doing something that I thought would signifcantly and adversely affect the nature of this forum. I can recall only doing it four times. Once for a post of a particularly repugnant nature that was intended to be insulting, once for some scam posts that a robot was leaving, once for a troll who decided to entertain himself by flooding the forums with senseless ramblings, and recently I censored two posts of someone who attempted to engage in a nasty flame war even after being asked (and warned) not to do so.  

Mostly, I prefer to ask people to stop behavior that I think is very inappropriate (mildly inappropriate, I ignore). Almost everyone is willing to do so.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Locke64

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2007, 12:23pm »

Ah, I see. ;)
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »