wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Registered Access only? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:18pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   suggestions, help, and FAQ
(Moderators: william wu, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, Grimbal, Eigenray, towr)
   Registered Access only?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Registered Access only?  (Read 1553 times)
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

Registered Access only?  
« on: Oct 5th, 2007, 7:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yesterday, when I linked into this forum, I suddenly stumbled upon the following:

"Only registered members are allowed to access this forum."

That's new, and I feel it's related to the spring cleaning.

IMHO such actions hurt the attractiveness of the forum. I remember when un-registered members were not only allowed to view the forum, but even to post there. In fact, this is how I began my life here.

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2007, 7:59am by Barukh » IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Registered Access only?  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 5th, 2007, 7:57am »

It's related to a problem with spam-bots. I don't really know the specifics about it (how this helps, for example), but William felt that for the time being this was necessary until we can increase the security of the forum.
There are plans to update the forum (but no time-frame on that yet), perhaps the security issues can be resolved then and we can some options back.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
jagatsastry

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 5th, 2007, 2:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How about something like 'Read Only Facility' for guests. No spam bots can be used then i think. Also i've(most of us in our college) been facing a login problem wherein i get logged out automatically once i click on a forum topic or any other link. This forum is just becoming popular in our college and i think the moderators and owner should reconsider the decision.
p.s.: I tried to observe the cookies of my mozilla browser and i observed that whenever i was clicking on any link(forum or like) the password and username part were getting deleted.
IP Logged
pex
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 9:27am »

on Oct 5th, 2007, 7:57am, towr wrote:
It's related to a problem with spam-bots. I don't really know the specifics about it (how this helps, for example), but William felt that for the time being this was necessary until we can increase the security of the forum.

Yet, the dzinga1 spambot found us...
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 11:43am »

The guy made 5 posts, all in a few minutes.  They all say "me too", "thanks for the info", "I am confused", etc.  I removed the posts I could.
IP Logged
temporary

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 9:53pm »

on Oct 5th, 2007, 7:48am, Barukh wrote:
Yesterday, when I linked into this forum, I suddenly stumbled upon the following:

"Only registered members are allowed to access this forum."

That's new, and I feel it's related to the spring cleaning.

IMHO such actions hurt the attractiveness of the forum. I remember when un-registered members were not only allowed to view the forum, but even to post there. In fact, this is how I began my life here.

Roll Eyes

Are you sure unregistered members used to be able to post? If a post is made by a "guest", it simply means someone made the post then got their user deleted.
IP Logged

My goal is to find what my goal is, once I find what my goal is, my goal will be complete.
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 1:38am »

on Jan 29th, 2008, 9:53pm, temporary wrote:
Are you sure unregistered members used to be able to post? If a post is made by a "guest", it simply means someone made the post then got their user deleted.

That is an isolated case. We had no choice, that troll was too annoying.
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #7 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 3:51pm »

on Jan 29th, 2008, 9:53pm, temporary wrote:

Yes, unregistered members used to be able to post. Most of us long-term members started out posting as guests. If you look at the oldest threads, you will find that most of the posts are from non-members. In all my time here, I know of only one real person who was banned (many bots have been, but only one person behaved so poorly and refused to either clean up his act or move on, that the action of banning him had to be taken) and only a couple instances where data corruption led to a user account being lost (one of those was Iceman, who used to be known as "Alien" - his account was lost in a major system crash Berkeley experienced a couple years ago).
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #8 on: Feb 3rd, 2008, 1:55am »

Here is an example which just came up (I mean I didn't exactly have to go searching very hard Roll Eyes). Reply #23, Michael Dagg who is a prolific member now.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2008, 1:57am by mikedagr8 » IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »