wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - 2 Questions »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 12:18am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   suggestions, help, and FAQ
(Moderators: Grimbal, towr, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Eigenray, Icarus, william wu)
   2 Questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2 Questions  (Read 2148 times)
Brent

2 Questions  
« on: Aug 29th, 2008, 2:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is solving these riddles an art? Does one achieve a higher skill level after solving riddles? I ask this because I read "If you are a first-timer, here are some problems I recommend you start out with:" .  

Why are there some that I need to start out with? To mee it seems one either has the capacity to solve a particular riddle or not. how can practicing make perfect with riddle like these? Many of them are vastly different, so how can solving one, in any way help solve the next?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: 2 Questions  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29th, 2008, 2:32pm »

on Aug 29th, 2008, 2:02pm, Brent wrote:
I ask this because I read "If you are a first-timer, here are some problems I recommend you start out with:" .
Perhaps those are ones William simply likes. He's put in riddles from the easy, medium and hard sections in that list, so the criterion does not seem to be simplicity.  
I'd consider it akin to book suggestions, "I liked these, so perhaps you will too". A first time reader may not know what type of book (or riddle) (s)he'd like to read (solve), so a wide variety of good books (riddles) is the best suggestion you can make.

Quote:
how can practicing make perfect with riddle like these? Many of them are vastly different, so how can solving one, in any way help solve the next?
There's classes of puzzles which require certain types of thinking, which you can practice. Like algorithmic thinking, or association. And of course there's puzzles that require various levels of math, which build off each other.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
falcon

« Reply #2 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 3:59pm »

Does William choose all these riddles himself, or can anyone post a riddle?
IP Logged
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

« Reply #3 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 7:23pm »

In the forum, you can post riddles to your heart's galore. The website- well, occassionally a puzzle gets added there- but don't hold your breath... Roll Eyes

Things to watch out for though are:
  • Check that the riddle's not a duplicate (there's a search function at the top of the page, but using google is just as good)
  • Use appropriate titles. It helps in finding them again later, and also attracts more people.
  • Don't post the same riddle in lots of threads. And HARD means HARD. I don't think I've ever posted a Hard riddle. Plenty of difficult questions, but they tend to be in the Who am I? section...
    My mathsy ones hover between easy and medium. Even when tehy're tricky, they're not HARD
IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »