wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Can I copy riddles to another site? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:20am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   suggestions, help, and FAQ
(Moderators: towr, Icarus, Grimbal, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, william wu, SMQ)
   Can I copy riddles to another site?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can I copy riddles to another site?  (Read 15614 times)
zarpie

Can I copy riddles to another site?  
« on: Jan 11th, 2012, 5:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some friends & I have recently become involved with a Facebook competitor called [url="http://www.friend.io"]Friendio[/url]

They want to add a riddles / jokes section.  I come here sometimes to read riddles, can I reproduce them or is this all copyrighted?

Hey, better I ask then just copy & paste, right?  If the answer is no I will not touch the riddles here.

Thanks!
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

Re: Can I copy riddles to another site?  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 4:20am »

Many of the riddles here (particularly the ones on the original lists on the website) are retellings of ones that are traditional or otherwise in the public domain. Others are retellings without the originator's permission. Still others are original to posters here.

Legally, I know the words of individual posts are copyright the individual poster. I'm not sure how far the protection extends - specifically whether or not it covers the sense of a riddle, or just the particular phrasing used. It might be worth consulting a lawyer if you want to be sure.

As far as I'm concerned, you're welcome to retell any riddles or puzzles I've posted here. If the precise wording is essential to the riddle, then feel free to copy that, but otherwise I'd rather things were put in your own words...
IP Logged
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

Re: Can I copy riddles to another site?  
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 1:35am »

yeah, similar to my thoughts.  
I've worked hard on tryign to get some of these riddles polished enough, and wouldn't like to see someone ride on my coattails, but by the same measure, would love to have more people play with what I thought was a good riddle.

and besides, it's all recorded here as to who wrote it first.... Cheesy
IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »