wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - need help answering this one »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 4:36pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, Icarus, SMQ, towr, william wu, Grimbal)
   need help answering this one
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: need help answering this one  (Read 3409 times)
sid_shady

need help answering this one  
« on: Mar 20th, 2003, 7:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This one has had me stumped for a a week now. It came from the Mind Trap game as far as I know, but I don't own the game so I can't check the answer. I just know its one of those black diamond cards. Anyway her's how the question goes:
Shadow flipped the tent flap open and surveyed the scene. On the floor, in the center of the tent, a man lay dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. In the corner of the tent was a small cot. A package of cigarettes and an empty whiskey bottle lay on the bedside table next to a kerosene lamp. Shadow combed the tent for additional clues to the possible motive. Other than the articles mentioned, the only things Shadow found were a half dozen small circular wooden discs under the cot, the man's personal effects and a variety of scrapbooks and news clippings. Shadow found the last articles particularly strange since it was learned the suicide victim was completely illiterate. What was the reason for the apparent suicide?
Thanks in advance if you know/figure out the answer to this one!
IP Logged
BNC
Uberpuzzler

Re: need help answering this one  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21st, 2003, 1:01am »

1. This belongs in "what happend"
2. Hints: where do you find tents regularly? And why was the cot "small"?
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
sid_shady

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21st, 2003, 3:30pm »

1. Yeah, I was thinking that also after I posted it. It's still a hard riddle though, so close enough  Tongue
2. You can find tents anywhere that's why people use them. In the mountains I guess. The cot was small because he was ummmmm, a midget?  Grin
3. I need an answer ASAP. I'm the kind of person that can't sleep if there is an unanswered question in the air cuz I'm obsesive compulsive. Thanks again
IP Logged
Wacky

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22nd, 2003, 1:58am »

If the man died of self-inflicted gunshot wounds, where happened to the gun?
IP Logged
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22nd, 2003, 2:11am »

on Mar 21st, 2003, 3:30pm, sid_shady wrote:
The cot was small because he was ummmmm, a midget?  Grin

Right!
Now, on to the paper clippings. What would most people (even if completely illiterate) recognize on the newspaper??

Another hint: the "half dozen small circular wooden discs under the cot" are the key. Where did they come fromHuh

BTW: I know this one from long ago. Not a big fan of "what happend" riddles myself, I must say this one is not better than the rest.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2003, 2:13am by BNC » IP Logged

sid shady

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22nd, 2003, 8:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The gun was also bothering me I don't know what happened to it. Was there really a gun involved? And I was just kidding about the midget part. What does that have to do with anything though? I already thought about the news clippings. He would have been able to look at the pictures. What's bothering me though is what he saw. The wooden discs have been bothering me since the start! I have no idea where to even begin thinking about where they came from.
 Angry Angry Angry Angry
IP Logged
cho

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:32am »

I think I may have it figured out: The guy's a midget, so the tent is obviously a circus tent and the self-inflicted gun shot was not with a handgun, he shot himself out of the cannon. The wooden disks are old poker chips. Combine gambling with the whiskey bottle and you've got the recipe for a very foolish bet. He bet the regular human cannonball that he could do that guy's stunt. But since he's so small, he didn't need a net to catch him, just his little cot. He miscalculated. I guess he just wasn't the same caliber. That just leaves the newspaper clippings. Maybe they were comic strips and he was using Superman as a pictorial user's manual on how to fly. Did I get it right?
IP Logged
sid_shady

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22nd, 2003, 6:00pm »

No, that's not right. I don't know what the real answer is though, I just know that's not right. You are right about the tent though, it was a circus tent. And I also know that a real gun was involved, but I still don't know how. I need an answer ASAP. If anyone knows can you please tell me? Thanks a bunch
IP Logged
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23rd, 2003, 6:38am »

OK, two more hints:

1. A big hint: the paper clippings are about the (now dead) midget.
2. A huge hint:The cot is standing on 6 legs.
IP Logged

sid_shady

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23rd, 2003, 2:33pm »

Do the news clippings really play a large role in this riddle? It doesn't seem like it. Ok, so the wooden discs came from the legs on the cot. But what was the midget doing that produced discs from the cot?
IP Logged
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:56pm »

The news clippings simply hint to a property of the midget, that (how? That’s the question!) caused him to take his own life.

The midget didn’t “produce” the discs. They were (hidden) sawed off from the bottom of the cot legs. Now, think what a drunk / hangover person might think when discovering the result of that….
IP Logged

Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24th, 2003, 3:56pm »

Is this it? The midget is "the world's shortest human". An enemy has gotten him drunk and shortened the legs of his cot to make him think he has grown bigger. When he discovers this, he figures his career is over and takes his own life in despair!
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25th, 2003, 6:39am »

You da man, Icarus!
IP Logged

bobcat

« Reply #13 on: Mar 31st, 2003, 10:16pm »

I agree with Icarus' answer, but wouldn't you end up with cylinders rather than disks in that instance?  I guess I was thinking more along the lines of something like a coin.  Also, how are the newspaper clippings relevant to that scenario?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31st, 2003, 10:27pm »

If you want to get technical, a coin is also a cylinder..
You might even go as far as saying a disc only exists in 2-D, but that depends on what you consider a disc..
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Allaran

Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 8th, 2003, 8:26am »

I had heard this one before with an even more cryptic offering.  The entire riddle was as follows:  

"If he had seen the sawdust, he wouldn't have killed himself."

In this case, the sawdust was from his cane rather than the cot.

IP Logged
redPEPPER

« Reply #16 on: Apr 9th, 2003, 5:40am »

The solution I knew mentions more details, like that his ennemy is the second shortest midget on earth.  The cane (or cot legs) was reduced of a few millimeters each day, giving the illusion of a progressive growth, which explains why the cylinders are disk-like.
IP Logged
Boody

Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 15th, 2003, 4:45am »

on Apr 8th, 2003, 8:26am, Allaran wrote:
I had heard this one before with an even more cryptic offering.  The entire riddle was as follows:  

"If he had seen the sawdust, he wouldn't have killed himself."

In this case, the sawdust was from his cane rather than the cot.

Yes I knew the same story.

The title is awful and boring.
Perhaps sid_shady should reword the title with the good idea:
If he had seen the sawdust, he wouldn't have killed himself
IP Logged
Chewdog

Bluefox1287   Bluefox1287

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15th, 2003, 11:47am »

But how does the Newspaper pictures incorperate itself into any of the answer we've come up with so far. I think that the enemy probably inplanted a newspaper, that along with the illusion of making him think he was growing taller, had some other sort of picture that would make the midget want to kill himself. I'm lost on this puzzle, can someone please get in here and figure it out once and for all?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »