wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - WEDDING RING FINGER »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:30pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: Grimbal, Eigenray, william wu, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, towr, Icarus)
   WEDDING RING FINGER
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: WEDDING RING FINGER  (Read 18304 times)
Macduff472y

WEDDING RING FINGER  
« on: Apr 26th, 2003, 11:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A woman with her wedding ring finger missing and a man step off of a train and are met by a man they haven't seen for thirty years. The man pulls a gun and shoots the woman dead. However, the police take no action.  

The big question is:
Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2003, 4:29pm by Macduff472y » IP Logged
Kitty

Re: IF SOMEONE KNOWS THE ANSWER, PLEASE TELL ME!  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26th, 2003, 1:09pm »

Write meaningful titles.
 Tongue
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=riddles_eas y;action=display;num=1036468244
 Grin
IP Logged

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would still be so stupid that we couldn't understand it.~Kant (1724-1804)
Macduff472y

Re: WEDDING RING FINGER  
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26th, 2003, 4:30pm »

Thanks for the advice Kitty, but do you have a solution?
IP Logged
maryl

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26th, 2003, 4:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I seem to remember hearing this one before, but I can't remember exactly. I think the man they met was her husband from years before; and she had told him she wanted to leave him but he would only agree if they would fake her kidnapping. They cut her finger off and told the police the kidnappers had killed her.  
I hope I'm not too far off here.
IP Logged
Macduff472y

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26th, 2003, 5:01pm »

I don't know the answer myself, but why would the police not arrest the guy?...I don't know. Undecided

IP Logged
jon_G

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26th, 2003, 7:37pm »

I have seen this situation in a movie before, so my guess is that the man was arrested for the kidnapping and murder of his wife. So 30 years later the husband gets out of jail and finds the wife that framed him and decides to kill her since he already did the time in jail. That is why the police didn't do anything to the man. I don't know why he didn't kill the other man also, maybe he didn't want to go back to jail for another 30. heh in this case, do the time then do the crime. Wink
IP Logged

Why climb the corporate latter, when you can own it.
Macduff472y

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27th, 2003, 6:08am »

Grin  This has been bothering for a while, thanks a bunch.
Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
IP Logged
Kitty

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27th, 2003, 10:14am »

on Apr 27th, 2003, 6:08am, Macduff472y wrote:
Grin  This has been bothering for a while, thanks a bunch.

Your welcome! (even though i did not do anything  Grin)
IP Logged

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would still be so stupid that we couldn't understand it.~Kant (1724-1804)
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #8 on: May 28th, 2003, 6:13pm »

Argh! I heard this problem nearly two years ago now and I've never found the answer that the person who asked me the puzzle expected. I have made countless suggestions, but they've all failed so far, including the idea of the woman being married to the killer and the 'double jeopardy' principle.

Other ideas I've tried: the killer was a soldier and the train was arriving at a concentration camp; the woman was a clone (clones are products of replication and not procreation and so they are not protected by human laws); the killer was a siamese twin and it is not possible to send both to prison when one insisted that they had no part in the crime; and many more!

I have been reliably informed that the woman did not know the killer.

I am absolutely desperate to find the answer to this! In fact, I'd do anything to find the answer. Even if it meant giving my wedding ring finger, having a sex change and at some point in the future being be met by some mysterious man on a train platform and getting shot by him. Aha! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2003, 6:18pm by Sir Col » IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
pedronunezmd

« Reply #9 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 6:38pm »

To resurrect an old riddle here: is the double jeopardy answer the "correct" one?

A sidebar question: Would double jeopardy rules actually prevent someone from being arrested and convicted of a murder like this one? There was a movie like this recently as well, I think it was called "Double Jeopardy" where the wife is convicted of murder and later goes after her actually-alive ex-husband.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21st, 2004, 7:04pm »

I do not think that double jeopardy would hold in this case. The first case is tried for the murder on such and such a date in such and such a place (how they convict without a body is another question).  

The second murder takes place at a different time and location, so it is a different crime.  

In the first case, he was falsely convicted, and should get some form of recompense from the state (maybe $1 a day for time served).  

I think the two crimes are different, so no double jeopardy. But, I think the riddle is asking for the double jeopary answer.
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
alien

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 22nd, 2004, 3:50am »

Police did nothing because they weren't there.
IP Logged
EZ Lonny

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 5:46am »

Couldnt it just be so, that the woman is the criminal, the man in the train was the hostage and the man at the station was a member of the SWAT-team?
IP Logged
DeMark

« Reply #13 on: Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:23am »

No, the jon_G's answer is the right one. This is one of my favourite riddles.  

Hey, Alien, don't you think the other man would call the police?  Smiley
IP Logged
Three Hands
Uberpuzzler

Reucserru+Oymai

« Reply #14 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 9:08am »

Well, DeMark, I imagine it depends on whether the man believed he should. For instance, the other man, apparantly an old friend from 30 years ago, may well have just done what the man himself was longing to do, and so they both agree to dispose of the body in a location where it wouldn't be found - I'd say where, but I haven't found it yet Tongue - and then kept quiet about the incident. The woman having no surviving family or sufficiently inquisitive friends is forgotten about, and so no report is ever made to the police. For some reason, no-one was at the station when the woman stepped off the train to witness the event either...

However, I agree that jon_G's answer is the more plausible (although I'm sure King_T can provide some suitable explanation involving government conspiracies, corrupt police forces which were told not to get involved by the CIA who were covering everything up due to some Colombian drug baron being involved in setting up the hit, and blackmailing the FBI with stolen evidence of UFO's having infiltrated NATO, or something like that Grin)
IP Logged
DeMark

« Reply #15 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 10:39am »

Well, I must admit that the other man does not appear in my version. So, I don't know how he reacted.  Tongue
IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 2:21pm »

OK.  Next time I need to kill someone, I just tell the police it is a case of double jeopardy.  So they won't bother arresting me.  Grin
IP Logged
John G

Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 4th, 2004, 6:21am »

The woman had faked her death earlier and her husband was prosecuted for her faked murder.  So when her husband got out of jail 30 years later, he kills her for real.  But the law says you cannot be prosecuted twice for the same crime. (Double Jeopardy) Since the husband had already done time for killing his wife, he cannot be arrested twice for it.
IP Logged
Three Hands
Uberpuzzler

Reucserru+Oymai

« Reply #18 on: Aug 4th, 2004, 9:01am »

Of course, if it was a case of double jeopardy, I would imagine that the police would get involved, but the man would not be convicted a second time for the murder. The police would still, I imagine, investigate appropriately, and then, after receiving the confession of the murderer and identification of all involved, as well as uncovering the criminal record for the man, be satisfied with the conclusion of the investigation.

However, the police didn't get involved, so I guess either a cover-up happened, meaning no report was made to the police, or the investigation was immediately taken up by the CIA, FBI or Army, or some other similar organisation which could claim jurisdiction over the police - thus not involving the police.
IP Logged
uhhhhh

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 20th, 2005, 12:00pm »

It's a play on words.
The riddle says "shoots the woman dead".
In other words he shoots her while she's dead.
This is the only other solution I can come up with other than the double jeopardy one.
IP Logged
River Phoenix

« Reply #20 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 7:58am »

As written, I don't think it's a play on words, I doubt that this was the original wording of the puzzle.
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #21 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 7:44pm »

This took place a while ago in Iraq. The woman was picked as a baby by Saddam Hussein for the secret Iraqi Women's Olympic track team based on the premise that ring finger length is linked to running ablility of women. When she accidently lost her ring finger and never did become an outstanding athlete, Uday Hussein, known for his brutal treatment of Iraqi athletes brought her by train to Saddam, who had last seen her 30 years ago, and she was executed. Saddam wanted to make sure she was killed to prevent anyone knowing that he was secretly considering allowing women in the Olympics. Of course, no police would dare arrest the Husseins.

Another very plausable explanation: The woman was a fugitive assassin who came to town by train with her associate, but her old nemesis from 30 years ago happened to be at the station. He is a federal agent. The agent pulled a gun and asked her to surrender, but she went for her weapon and was shot. Being a federal matter, the police were not involved in this case. The woman was a member of the Yakuza- the Japanese organized crime group known for cutting off fingers of their left hands.
IP Logged
Michael Dagg
Senior Riddler

« Reply #22 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 9:04pm »

Obviously there is some irony to be found here -- interesting about the ring finger length.
IP Logged

Regards,
Michael Dagg
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »