wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Crossover »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 8:44am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: william wu, towr, Eigenray, Grimbal, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Icarus)
   Crossover
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Crossover  (Read 2269 times)
maryl

Email

Crossover  
« on: Jun 4th, 2003, 12:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

During WWII, there was a bridge connecting Germany and Switzerland, and on the German side, there was a sentry tower with a guard in it. He would come out every three minutes to check on the bridge, and he had orders to turn back anyone who tried to get into Germany, and shoot anyone trying to escape without a pass. There was a woman who desperately needed to get into Switzerland, and she knew she didn't have time to get a pass. It would take her at least six minutes to cross the bridge, but she managed to do it. How?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Crossover  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 4th, 2003, 1:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

walking backwards?
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
maryl

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 4th, 2003, 2:10pm »

on Jun 4th, 2003, 1:53pm, towr wrote:
walking backwards?

Can you elaborate?
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Jun 5th, 2003, 3:00am »

she wants to get from germany to switzerland, the guard turns back people coming from switzerland to germany, so by walking backwards from germany to switzerland it looks like she's coming from switzerland (if she stand still when the guard looks) and will be told to go back there.
IP Logged

Ronin77

« Reply #4 on: Jun 5th, 2003, 4:38am »

You are close towr. The real answer is:

She walks a little way accross then turns back after 1 1/2 minutes of walking. She is then seen as someone comeing from switzerland and is turned back thus she gets accross.
PS this my first post and not sure if thats what to do with the colour. If it isnt could someone post how to make text dissapear? TY.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jun 5th, 2003, 4:48am »

you can use hide tags
[hide] hidden text [/hide]
IP Logged

wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #6 on: Jun 5th, 2003, 5:43am »

Of course it depends on the cleverness of the guard, but she should try to make sure by starting her walk across the bridge when the guard goes back after checking the bridge. She'll then be in the middle of the bridge after one and a half minutes. I know the guard is not expected to be very bright, but it could arouse suspicion if the woman were near the German side.
IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Jun 5th, 2003, 5:53am »

Its always possible he doesn't follow the orders he was given and/or can be bribed..
Or maybe the woman gave him poisoned cookies before trying to cross. Dead people tend not to follow orders :p (unless you order them to stay where they are)
IP Logged

Zeke the Geke

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12th, 2003, 6:55am »

on Jun 5th, 2003, 5:43am, wowbagger wrote:
... She'll then be in the middle of the bridge after one and a half minutes...
(cf: Ronin as well)

hmmm...am I the only one that sees a problem with the numbers here?  It takes 6 minutes to cross the bridge, so 3 minutes to halfway, right?  Not 1 1/2.  Regardless, towr's got the idea as long as she stops while the guard is looking.
IP Logged
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #9 on: Jun 12th, 2003, 8:02am »

You're right, Zeke. I meant three minutes, of course - the time that passes until the guard comes back.
The main message of my previous post was in the last sentence.
IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
jenniegurl

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 8:19am »

hey this is sammy here.

you know how they say the guard comes out to check on the bridge? is he coming out to some window balcony just to look out for anyone, or does he go walk around and patrol the bridge? cuz then my bf said if it's the 2nd one, the lady could just walk halfway as fast as she could and the guard couldn't catch up to her until she got to swiss-land and he got halfway, so then he'd have no way to prove she even came from germany...lol

the lady could run really fast. PUMP THOSE CRAZY LEGS!

but then i told him the german guard would prolly just shout at her the way germans do...you know lol

she could just cling down to the edge of the bridge until he quits yelling cuz or else he'd prolly just yell for a really long time instead of going down there and making sure she goes back, maybe he'd get tired and have to go inside to have some haggis before he has the energy to keep on yellerin'

or maybe she was a prostitute and she got away cuz she promise to impregnate the german guy's pigs (germans :|)

but anyway the real answer wazs really nice and clever.
IP Logged
Death

For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you

« Reply #11 on: Aug 18th, 2006, 11:06am »

Assuming that we are working with accurate figures here (6 and 3 minutes), then the 'correct answer' wouldn't work. If it takes the lady 6 mins to cross, then after having turned once, she would walk for another 3 mins until the guard came out. And where exactly would the lady be by then? On the other side of the brridge, true, but ONLY JUST. This means that the guard would walk into her/see her on the german side. Good luck to the lady for explaining that, as I doubt that the guard would believe that 'she left her purse behind'.
IP Logged

The theory goes that a million monkeys typing at a million typewriter will produce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know that's not true.
alien

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18th, 2006, 4:40pm »

She did know she didn't have time to get a pass, as stated in the riddle, but she already had the pass. So there was no need get another one, as one can be desperate with the pass too. I mean, you can have the pass and be desperate because there is something urgent you must do in Switzerland, like, to buy a Lindt chocolate. Those chocolates are really good, man.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #13 on: Aug 18th, 2006, 7:34pm »

on Aug 18th, 2006, 11:06am, Death wrote:
Assuming that we are working with accurate figures here (6 and 3 minutes), then the 'correct answer' wouldn't work. If it takes the lady 6 mins to cross, then after having turned once, she would walk for another 3 mins until the guard came out. And where exactly would the lady be by then? On the other side of the brridge, true, but ONLY JUST. This means that the guard would walk into her/see her on the german side. Good luck to the lady for explaining that, as I doubt that the guard would believe that 'she left her purse behind'.

You seem to be thinking that the guard post is in the center. According to the riddle, it is at the German end. The lady waits just behind it until the guard finishes a patrol. Then she moves as fast as she can until the 3 minutes is almost up. There, just shy of middle, she turns around and starts running as fast towards the german end as she can. The guard comes out and sees her running towards him from Switzerland. Being a lazy and stupid guard (which he would have to be to not watch the bridge at all for 3 minutes), he didn't read the memo that went around that morning explaining that a woman would attempt to cross the bridge today, "but it takes her 6 minutes to cross, so keep her on whatever side you find her on." Therefore he doesn't know how slow she is, and simply assumes that she was fast enough to get more than halfway across in 3 minutes. So he sends her "back" to Switzerland.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Death

For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you

« Reply #14 on: Aug 18th, 2006, 11:46pm »

Ahhhhhhh.....

My mistake, i thought the question asked how she could get across if the guard couldn't let anyone enter germany but had no problems letting people leave. The lady also started on the other side in my head  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Thankyou for making sence of that otherwise excedingly innaccurately historical riddle
IP Logged

The theory goes that a million monkeys typing at a million typewriter will produce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know that's not true.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »