wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Crossing the ice »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:36pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, SMQ, towr, william wu, Icarus, Grimbal)
   Crossing the ice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Crossing the ice  (Read 1060 times)
maryl

Email

Crossing the ice  
« on: Jul 23rd, 2003, 4:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

OD-1 was out in his ski slope snow grooming machine (don't ask why he had one - he just did) and wanted to take a short cut across the lake behind Duffuses place. He knew the ice was only about 3 inches thick and that 2 snowmobiles and 4 men had gone through the ice just that morning. He also knew his machine was much larger and weighed as much as 10 snowmobiles. Yet he calmly drove across the middle of the lake to the other side without as much as the ice cracking under the heavy weight of his machine. He wasn't assisted by aliens or any other supernatural stuff like that. This is a real life teaser with no quirky tricks.  

Why didn't he go through the ice?
IP Logged
Chewdog

Bluefox1287   Bluefox1287

Re: Crossing the ice  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23rd, 2003, 6:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Did there happen to be a bridge?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24th, 2003, 1:49am »

Weight on it's own isn't very indicative, as long as it is distributed well, that is the pressure on the ice is low, he won't go through
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
mistysakura

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24th, 2003, 4:59am »

And of course, the lake itself might only be 3 inches deep in the first place.  Droughts...
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 1:47pm »

mistysakura,

In the middle of winter? Huh
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
turtler7

turtler7

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20th, 2003, 3:19pm »

i might be wrong on ice thickness i havent been to my uncles latly...  he has a chart with all the weights for ice at his house/bait shop.  I THINK these are right but dont give it 100% credibility.
4" i think is the ice thickness for a car...  Snowmodile is liek 2" i think...  So 3" should hold one of those machines.  As well as
towr is correct in the weight distribution.  People that weigh 200 pounds can walk on snow if they use snowshoes to distribute the weight.   Same as a VERY heavy polar bear can walk on ice and snow because its large paws distribute the weight.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Oct 7th, 2003, 12:22am »

Hey maryl, what is the real answer?  

He used the slope grooming machine to push great piles of snow in front of him, which helped to distribute the weight of the machine more evenly. And, he drove in the shade, where the ice was stronger.  

Or, it was a grooming machine for water skis.  Grin
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
maryl

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 8th, 2003, 5:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Speaker, towr had it.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Oct 8th, 2003, 7:58pm »

Okay thanks.

You said that this was a real life teaser. So, we can assume that a person actually drove across the ice of a lake which two men and their snowmobiles had fallen through earlier that day.  

My question. Was the guy so smart and aware of the distribution of the weight of his machine that he was certain it would not fall through?  

Or, was he just lucky, his calmness a result of ignorance of the situation?  

I guess you can only answer this if he was interviewed, or if you know the driver.  Maybe I should give ole Bill Duffes a call and ask him. Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2003, 7:59pm by Speaker » IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 8th, 2003, 9:10pm »

Actual incident or not, I don't know, but a snow grooming machine is made to ride over the top of the snow instead of digging deep grooves into the very snow it is intended to smooth. Any one operating such a machine should realize that the weight distribution that allows it to ride over the snow without crushing it should also be sufficient to spread out its weight on thin ice.

However, he did take more of a risk than he may of realized. If the water below the ice recedes any, the ice may not be well supported. This means that a significant portion of the load of his vehicle will be applied as a sheer force, which will easily cause the ice to crack. Once cracked, it will be unstable, even if it is now fully supported by water. The ice will tip, leaving him in the drink.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Oct 8th, 2003, 9:26pm »

Okay, I do not know either. But, many years ago, if memory serves, the snow grooming machines left big tracks in the snow. They used them to remove moguls (bumps). They must have squished them or pushed them out of the way. So, there is some weight.  

Now, I recall a large vehicle used in the far north for oil exploration. This vehicle was designed to drive across the tundra without leaving behind any damage (or very little damage), they had a picture of it driving over some oil explorer (exploiter). One of the tires was directly on top of the guy but he appeared unharmed. The idea was to convince us that they could explore for oil without destroying the ecology of the area.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »