wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Wrong number »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:02am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: Icarus, Grimbal, towr, Eigenray, SMQ, william wu, ThudnBlunder)
   Wrong number
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wrong number  (Read 845 times)
mistysakura

Wrong number  
« on: Sep 11th, 2003, 5:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It was the evening. Mr. Jones was sitting and watching his favorite show on TV, and Mrs. Jones was sitting down on the couch in the living room and knitting. Suddenly, the phone rang, and Mr. Jones went to answer it. Apparently, the caller had the wrong number, and Mr. Jones, angry, didn't mention anything about the TV show being interrupted, just had an annoyed attitude when he told him it was the wrong number, and hung up.
Although Mr. Jones was angry about the incident, Mrs. Jones was even MORE angry.  Why?
Thanks to Zak of TPM
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

Re: Wrong number  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 8:27pm »

A few guesses:

Mr. Jones was holding the yarn for Mrs. Jones and had to put it down to answer the phone, thus causing it to get tangled. I am not sure how it works, but that routine where the yarn is wrapped around his outstretched hands to keep it untangled while the knitter winds it into a ball.

Mrs. Jones' secret lover was calling during Mr. Jones' favorite TV show so he would be preoccupied. When Mr. Jones answered unexpectedly, the lover gave the standard "sorry, wrong number" excuse.

Mr. Jones walked in front of the TV to answer the phone, and Mrs. Smith is a bit grouchy.

Earlier in the afternoon while Mr. Jones was at work, Mrs. Jones recieved dozens of wrong number calls and was fed up. That final call was the last straw, and Mrs. J lost her temper.

IP Logged
mistysakura

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2003, 12:28am »

All wrong, although 1 and 3 aren't bad.  1 is the closest guess so far, and feel free to ask questions.

By the way, Mrs Jons wasn't watching the TV, but she could hear Mr Jones.  Also, the title wasn't named "wrong number" for no reason.

I know that many answers fit this one, and it's more of a challenge to find how many answers fit.
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12th, 2003, 6:44pm »

A couple more guesses:

Mr. Jones got snagged on Mrs. Jones' knitting project before running to the phone and caused it to unravel.

Earlier in the day Mrs. Jones had recieved several telemarketing calls from the same salesperson who always wanted to speak with the "lady of the house".  She assumed the same person was calling when Mr. Jones answered, and got angry upon hearing him say, "Nobody here fits that description".

IP Logged
maryl

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13th, 2003, 10:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How about: It made her lose count with her knitting?
IP Logged
mistysakura

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14th, 2003, 5:44pm »

Good on you, maryl, and on the first hint too.  The people from TPM didn't get it until the second page of guesses... but they're not bad, so...
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15th, 2003, 10:36am »

Haha! I know!

The show was "Who wants to be a millionaire", and the the contestant on TV had just decided to use her lifeline. "I would like to phone my good friend Mrs. Wright" she said. But Mrs. Jones' maiden name was Wright...
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2003, 10:37am by James Fingas » IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »