wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Cross the river »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 3:04am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: Grimbal, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, towr, SMQ, william wu)
   Cross the river
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cross the river  (Read 2203 times)
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

Cross the river  
« on: Mar 15th, 2004, 6:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There is a wide river with a fast current flowing from the north to the south. You are on the east side. A chest of gold is on the west side. You need to get the chest of gold and bring it back to the east side before the bandits find it. The bandits are on the west side of the river and you can hear them in the distance approaching. Once the bandits reach the river they will be able to see the chest of gold.  

On the east side of the river there is a small rowboat. In the boat are a life jacket, a long rope, a big hammer, some nails, a bottle of brandy and a book. But, there are no oars, and no motor.  

You are wearing a strong belt and a dagger. Your boots are made of soft leather and your hat is of straw. You are carrying a bag with your lunch and other camp gear, but it is early in the morning and you are not hungry.  

There are a few tall trees growing on the banks of the river, but their lowest branches are above your reach. There are bushes, but their branches are thin and thorny. There are some rocks along the riverbank. You pick up a rock and try to throw it across the river, but it falls short. The river is too wide. You try to wade across the river, but the river is too deep. You try to swim across the river, but the current is too swift.  

However, you get the gold and escape the bandits.  Cool
What happened?  
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
DeMark

Re: Cross the river  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 10:53am »

Who cares?  Cool
IP Logged
Cathos

Carpe Canum

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 2:56pm »

What if you tore apart the boat, and reassembled it to form a bridge, using the rope, nails, and belt as needed to secure it.  Would that be fast enough of even work at all?

How about this:  you tie one end of the rope around your belt, tie the other somewhere secure on the east bank (the boat, maybe, or you could make some sort of stake with the wood, hammer and nails).  Then put the life jacket on.  I'm assuming the rope is long enough to reach the west side.  When you jump in, the life jacket will keep you from drowning, and the rope will keep you from getting swept too far downstream.  In theory, you could get to the other side, if the rope was long enough and you were strong enough.  To get back, tie your end of the rope to the chest, then follow the rope back to the east, and drag the chest back through the river.

Or you could just look in the book - an atlas of the surrounding area - and take the bridge that it mentions 50 yards the north.
 Smiley
IP Logged

Sum Arbor
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 4:21pm »

There is not enough wood in the boat to make a bridge across the river. Also, this might take too much time. Depending on how fast you can build, and how fast the bandits are coming.  

The rope is long enough to reach the west side.  

I never considered dragging the chest back through the river, but I don't think it is possible to do that before the bandits arrive. You need to move faster.  

The book is an atlas, if you want it to be, but there are no bridges. Afterall, if there was a bridge, then the bandits would chase you
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 4:33pm »

I assume it is a very long rope? much longer than the river is wide? If so, then there is an old trick that I am sure is the intended answer. But, living as I do in the heart of the old West, I say that you use the rope to make a big lasso, lasso the chest, and haul it back! Grin
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 4:54pm »

The old trick is the intended answer, padnah  Wink

I wun't a thunk you could toss a lariat further than you could throw a rock. But, maybe yer a better roper than a pitcher.
IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 5:14pm »

Now 'round these parts, them's fightin' words. But then again, round here, a "wide" river is about 20 feet, lessin' yer ah referin' to the Platte. Then ya jist walk across. What's the matter? Afraid ta get the bottoms of your boots wet? The tops'll still be high an' dry!
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 5:24pm »

Did I ferget to mention, that thar river is plum full of them thar peeraniyah fish. You dab one toe of jist one of yer boots and them fishes will bite it right off and suck all yer juices right out the hole in yer toe. Best stay dry if ye plan on spendin any o' that gold.
IP Logged

Cathos

Carpe Canum

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 6:00pm »

Hmm... There's pirannahs in the lake, so you can't even touch the water, right?  But earlier, you tried to wade and swim across, so you're already fishfood.  Guess that makes gold a moot point.   Tongue

When you drag the chest across, though, all you have to do is drag it into the water before the bandits arrive.  The gold will make it sink, so they won't see it.  When they ask you what you're doing, you tell them your fishing for whales with a huge rope.  They'll laugh at you, and when they leave, haul in the treasure and have the last lauh gyourself.

I've no idea what the 'old trick' is.
IP Logged

Sum Arbor
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 6:43pm »

Well, the piranha did not arrive until Icarus came along wearing his cowboy boots. And, anyway, maybe the piranha are in the Platte River. But, you can get the gold without getting wet, piranha or not.  

I guess you could pull the gold into the river with the rope, but I do not think that you could pull it all the way across. I cannot say it is impossible (I think it is, because there would be a lot of rocks, or soft sand or something). But it is not the answer I am looking for, the one Icarus calls the "old trick." We just have to assume that the old trick I am thinking of and the one Icarus is thinking of are the same. I think they are because of what he says.
IP Logged

SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 6:50pm »

Is the "big hammer" big enough that it could anchor the boat yet small enough to be thrown a reasonable distance? If so, just keep throwing it with the rope tied to the hammer, and pull the boat to the hammer, reel in, and throw again and again until across. To get back more quickly you could have tied the rope to a tree on the starting side, so the boat can "swing" back across as the current pulls the boat downstream.

If the big hammer is too large to throw, is it large enough that the handle can be layed across the river as a bridge?   Smiley
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 6:54pm »

The hammer is big, but not big enough to anchor the boat in the fast current of the river. Its handle is not long enough to form a bridge. You have some nice ideas, but they will not work until you get across.
IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 8:29pm »

on Mar 16th, 2004, 5:24pm, Speaker wrote:
Did I ferget to mention, that thar river is plum full of them thar peeraniyah fish. You dab one toe of jist one of yer boots and them fishes will bite it right off and suck all yer juices right out the hole in yer toe. Best stay dry if ye plan on spendin any o' that gold.

Now there ain't no pie-ranny fish in the Platte, which is the only river near here that's too wide ta lassoo across. An it's the only one I suggested walkin' across - it ain't wadin' if the water don't come over yer toes! Any pie-ranny ud have lay on their sides just ta stay wet!

(The Platte, which goes through Nebraska, not Kansas, so "near here" is a bit of a stretch, is an ordinary river for most of its length, but there is a place (or at least was), where it spreads out to great width, but practically no depth.)
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 1:43am »

Okay, this river is not the Platte. Also, there are no piranha in the river actually. But, you need to get the gold without swimming, that is why I put in all the stuff about wading and the current.  

But, if anybody trys to swim over to get the gold, then the piranha just might manifest themselves again.  

And, while I admire Icarus's skill with a lasso, the river is two wide to throw a rope straight across.
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 3:33am »

are there trees on both sides of the river?
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 3:53pm »

on Mar 18th, 2004, 1:43am, Speaker wrote:
And, while I admire Icarus's skill with a lasso, the river is two wide to throw a rope straight across.

It's amazing how skillful you can be when you don't have to demostrate it! Tongue
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 7:46pm »

Tie the boat to a tree with a long piece of rope. The strong current will force it downstream and pull the rope tight.  Climb in the boat and use the book as a rudder against the rapidly flowing river to steer it to the other side.

Or: The branches of the trees may be out of reach, but with the rope, climbing to the level of the branches should not be difficult.  Then,...  well I will wait until this is judged as allowable before I continue.

Or: bring the boat upstream so the bandits see it before they see the gold. Being bandits, they will be unable to resist trying to swim across to steal the boat, and be eaten by the piranhas, giving you time to build a bridge with the hammer, nails, and lumber from the trees on your side of the river.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 4:40pm »

Towr, there are trees on both sides of the river.  

SWF, you are almost there. However, the book is not suitable for a rudder. In fact, you do not need a rudder, if you know the old trick.  

I do not think you would have time to climb the tree and cut down a branch because the bandits are coming.  

The bandits might end up eaten by piranha, but some will survive.
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:25am »

well, if there are trees on both banks, then I'd say tie one end of the rope to a tree on your side (around the trunk. Then the other end to the hammer, and flail it around to give it momentum, then swing it into a tree on the other side. Chances are it will eventually get vastened onto a branch, and you can pull yourself and your boat toward the other bank, get the gold, and pull yourself back..
IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #19 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:33am »

Maybe, eventually it will work if you can throw the hammer far enough. How far can olympic athletes throw the hammer? Then, the river is just a little wider. hehe.   Grin

There is a different way, which can be done quickly and surely. It involves the application of certain principles, which I think Icarus is familiar with.
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 1:10am »

on Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:33am, Speaker wrote:
Maybe, eventually it will work if you can throw the hammer far enough. How far can olympic athletes throw the hammer? Then, the river is just a little wider. hehe.   Grin
Well, the I'd probably still make it, since they can't use rope to swing the hammer, and I can  Tongue
IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #21 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 1:16am »

Okay.  

But, If I make the river twice as wide, and put the gold on a small island in the middle. Then, the bandits are one side of the river, and you are on the other. So, they can reach the island just as fast as you, if they are trying to snag the hammer in a tree. So, how can you do it faster?  

Or, I can just use my godlike powers to remove all the branches from the trees on the other side of the river.  Tongue
IP Logged

kellys

« Reply #22 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:25am »

So I seem to remember (in the dark recesses of me brains) from Physics that if you blow against directly something that's flat, say a piece of paper of just the right size, the air currents will circle around to the back and push it toward you.  I also seem to remember something about how windsailing works.  Anyways, I'd say that once you're in the boat as described by SWF (and after pulling out your physics textbook) you twist the boat with your body so that its [insert boating term] length is perpendicular with the current.  Or maybe something.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #23 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 4:16pm »

Kellys you are on the right track, along with SWF. All you need now is to apply the correct theory. Maybe what you need is not a physics textbook, but a different kind of textbook. Actually, I have never seen this in a textbook, but then again, the textbooks I have seen are limited. I am sure that the theory is described in some kind of textbook.
IP Logged

kellys

« Reply #24 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 4:24pm »

hmm... if you were really skilled, you might be able to push the nose of the boat into the water so that it "scoops" the water.  The fact that you're propelling mass downstream would mean you would go upstream.  Or sink.  Probably sink.  Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »