wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Fisherman Riddle, help please! »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:50pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: towr, Grimbal, SMQ, william wu, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, Icarus)
   Fisherman Riddle, help please!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fisherman Riddle, help please!  (Read 12039 times)
B.R

Email

Fisherman Riddle, help please!  
« on: Dec 26th, 2004, 1:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A blind fisherman goes into a pub and orders a seagull, he then eats it. After this, he comes out of the pub and shoots himself. WHY does he shoot himself?

Hi guys ive been struggling with this a while now? Just why does this blind fisherman shoot himself? please give some  suggestions if possible!

Thanx alot in advance.

PS.  Man this forum's whack!
IP Logged
Kim

Email

Re: Fisherman Riddle, help please!  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26th, 2004, 6:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

U r what u eat? or drink for that matter. Kiss
IP Logged
EZ_Lonny

Real anarchists play chess without the king

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 2:56am »

Isn't this a riddle for the "What Happened" section of this forum?

The answer is: UNKNOWN TO ME   Tongue
IP Logged

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge - Bertrand Russel
Padzok

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 2:10pm »

Hint:

He'd never eaten seagull before

IP Logged
DeMark

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 10:46am »

I consider this riddle stupid, because you can't get to the answer without some hints, or without wild imagination. And the solution...yuck.  Even if you know he's never eaten seagull before, you can't solve this easily. So I think it's the best just to tell the answer.
IP Logged
Padzok

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 9:55am »

on Dec 29th, 2004, 10:46am, DeMark wrote:
I consider this riddle stupid, because you can't get to the answer without some hints, or without wild imagination. And the solution...yuck.  Even if you know he's never eaten seagull before, you can't solve this easily. So I think it's the best just to tell the answer.

The way these are supposed to be played is that one person knows the answer, and the others are allowed to ask YES/NO questions.  Every time a player gets a YES, s/he gets to ask another question.   Once they get a NO it is the next player's turn.  The winner is the person who is the first person (in the opinion of the setter) to completely explain what had happened.   That person will then create a new puzzle.

They're good fun on long journeys, or camping trips, etc.  I agree they're not well-suited to playing in a message board.  An ideal riddle of this type, is one that cannot be guessed quickly no matter how much intuition is used.  The guessers are supposed to arrive at the correct solution by ruling out all the more obvious explanations first.

I do not know exactly what BR's setter had in mind, but I have heard one scenario which is similar.

Second Hint:
In the country in which the fisherman lived, eating seagull had always been illegal.   He was on holiday in another country when he saw a pub which sold seagull.  This trip was the first time he had ever been in a country in which eating seagull was legal and so was the first chance he had ever had to buy it in a restaurant.

Third Hint:
The main cause of his suicide was the fact that he did not recognise the taste of the meal served to him in the restaurant.

IP Logged
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 10:15am »

I think the intended solution is that the fisherman was in a war a long time ago, or stranded somewhere with a few other people one way or another. Food ran low, and they were forced to resort to cannibalism. The other guys fed the fisherman human meat, telling him it was a seagull. When he ate seagull at the restaurant he knew that his friends lied to him and fed him human meat, so he killed himself for whatever reason, such as cannibalism is against his religion or something.

Not that I think cannibalism is a good thing, but if it was a last resort and death was the alternative, I think I probably would. Shhh... don't tell anyone Wink
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
DeMark

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 11:07am »

The solution I've heard of included...ummm, eating his baby daughter. Disgusting.  

Hey, John, what if they decided that you'll be the first they'll eat? Would it sound like a good solution then?  Wink Just joking.  

Anyway, 2004 has been a good year. I wish you all happy 2005, happiness, love, health etc. and a lot of good riddles!
Love, DeMark  Smiley
IP Logged
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 1:03pm »

I would not be the first eaten. My meat would not be very good -- too much fat, not enough muscle. Grin
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
EZ_Lonny

Real anarchists play chess without the king

« Reply #9 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 7:02am »

If you'll get some meat served and someone said to you that it's either seagullleg or humansteak.

You'll want to know the answer, don't you. If a pub offers you the opportunity to taste seagull and you find out it tastes different than what you ve been served before .....

Go figure ... draw your conclusion
IP Logged

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge - Bertrand Russel
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 2:39am »

John, a question about that cannibalism thing. How would the blind fisherman knew the difference of taste between the seagull he ate at the pub and the meat he ate during the war wasn't due to the cooking ? Kinda hard to imagine the cooking of the meat during the war (if they did cooked it) would be similar to the cooking in the pub. Just a thought anyway.

Anyway, my idea was the blind fisherman was a hopeless romantic, and the love of his life just died. She made him promised that he would kill himself to be with her. He just wanted to taste a seagull before joining her.  Tongue
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Pureblade

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 8:01pm »

on Dec 29th, 2004, 10:46am, DeMark wrote:

It isn't that hard. My class (6th grade) got it in about 20 mins. What our solution was:

The man was on a cruise with his wife, and their boat sunk. He and his wife survived, along with one other man, on on island. The other man killed his wife, and gave it to him, saying it was Albatross/Seagull. The man was suspicious, and after they were rescued, he went to taste Albatross, discovered that it tasted differently, and he commited suicide.
IP Logged
alien

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 6:02pm »

You are talking about a gull, right?  Huh  This bird is not edible as far as I know.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #13 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 11:58am »

on Aug 15th, 2005, 6:02pm, alien wrote:
You are talking about a gull, right?  Huh  This bird is not edible as far as I know.  
Why wouldn't it be? It's not poisonous..
Might not taste nice, but I'm sure it's edible.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Fishy

Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 6:18am »

Here's a riddle I find hard...

A man returning from a fishing trip in the mountains is found dead in a phone booth, he wasn't shot, stabbed, poisoned or beaten. He didn't commit suicide. How did he die?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #15 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 1:40pm »

on Sep 24th, 2005, 6:18am, Fishy wrote:
A man returning from a fishing trip in the mountains is found dead in a phone booth, he wasn't shot, stabbed, poisoned or beaten. He didn't commit suicide. How did he die?
Aliens
Or maybe he choked on a pretzel.
Avalanche? Exposure? Highly unlikely event involving a telephone booth that isn't constructed using safety-glass, and a fish that is 'this large'?
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Fishy

Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 2:44am »

on Sep 24th, 2005, 1:40pm, towr wrote:

Aliens
Or maybe he choked on a pretzel.
Avalanche? Exposure? Highly unlikely event involving a telephone booth that isn't constructed using safety-glass, and a fish that is 'this large'?

Hint: His wrists were cut
IP Logged
Three Hands
Uberpuzzler

Reucserru+Oymai

« Reply #17 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 6:13am »

Perhaps you should re-read Towr's post, in particular the last line...

This isn't the first time the riddle has been posed on this forum.
IP Logged
Blitzer

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 12:31am »

ok, i actually know this one. It's because he was once stranded on a boat and was fed his wife's dead body and told it was seagull, when he ate the seagull in the dinner  he realized what ahd happened and killed himself
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »