wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - ABW II – The sports page »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 3:17am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, towr, william wu, Grimbal, Icarus, SMQ)
   ABW II – The sports page
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ABW II – The sports page  (Read 2104 times)
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

Re: ABW II – The sports page  
« Reply #25 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 3:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

eh? Please explain?
IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #26 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 3:16pm »

So the sports page was a red herring? Why did he lay out the sports page when his purpose was simply to say "score"? Or did Asimov not address this?
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #27 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 5:55pm »

I can see how score=20, but also miss the relevance of the sports page. Maybe it is to give a clue that the word is score (but causing confusion in the process).

Although it is BNC's approved answer I like some of the others better.  Turns out there was a single "socer score" on September 10, 1960.  Yugoslavia defeated Denmark 3-1 for the gold medal in Olympic soccer.
IP Logged
Padzok

« Reply #28 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 6:21pm »

Is that the final answer (20), or is there more?

Its clever that there is a double clue to the same result, of course.

But was there any reason not to spell the six letters of "twenty" rather than the five he did pull out?   Wink

IP Logged
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #29 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 3:02pm »

Hey, don't shoot the messenger...  

Don't have the time now, will reply with Asimov's full answer later.

[e]
OK, this is "later". Here is what Asimov had to say:

on April 1977, Asimov wrote:

"Ah," said Pentili, "then it comes to Henry in the end. What does all this mean, Henry?"
   Henry, who had been remaining silently at the sideboard throughout the discussion, said, "I cannot say, sir, unless the number 20 would be of signify-"
   He was interrupted by a suddenly frowning Pentili. "Twenty! Is that a guess, Henry?"
   "Not entirely, sir. Is it significant, then?"
   "Significant? I've spent years gloomily suspecting he was trying to tell us twenty. Twenty meant 'government in firm control.' I haven't mentioned twenty in the course of the story, have I?"
   There was a chorused negative.
   "<snip>But I don't see how you get twenty out of this, Henry."
   "Why, sir, if it is true that Mr. Stepan was only moderately knowledgeable in baseball, then he would see on the sports page only what other moderately knowledgeable people would see – like myself, for instance. As Mr. Gonzalo would say, I speak from ignorance when I say that all I see on the sports page is the result of the games – the score in other words – and that brings 'twenty' rather forcibly to mind."
<Snipped section about "Fourscore and seven years ago">
   Pentili looked disappointed. "It's a clever notion, Henry, but not convincing. Too bad."
   "It becomes convincing, sir, when you realize that the Scrabble letters also signify twenty."
<snip>
   "I'm not thinking of Russian words," said Henry. "As you have said, habits are hard to break even at the point of death, and Mr. Stepan must have found himself using Russian letters…"
   "The Cyrillic alphabet," said Rubin.
   "Yes, Mr. Rubin. Now <snip> the Russian 'c' is equivalent to our 's' and the Russian 'p' is equivalent to out 'r' <snip> and the Russian 'k' is equivalent to our hard 'c' so that in our letters, 'epock' becomes 'erosc', and that can be rearranged to read 'score.' "

Now, the other solution (suggested by his readers) does not involve numbers... and it does required "some" knowledge of baseball. Note that I know next to nothing about the game, but the readers wrote to Asimov that "Any person 'moderately familiar' with baseball is <the other answer>". Care to give this a try?
[/e]
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2005, 8:24am by BNC » IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #30 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 8:27am »

Sorry for the double post... just wanted to let you know I entered Asimov's solution...
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »