wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Real Life Down Elevator/ Up Stairs Problem »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 1:35am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, william wu, SMQ, Eigenray, Icarus, towr)
   Real Life Down Elevator/ Up Stairs Problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Real Life Down Elevator/ Up Stairs Problem  (Read 2407 times)
SWF
Uberpuzzler

Re: Real Life Down Elevator/ Up Stairs Problem  
« Reply #25 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 7:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Correct, Icarus!  Even people living on the 1st floor had no choice but to take the elevator down to do laundry.

For better security people could only enter the building from the first floor (sometimes a guard was on duty). The main stairway went from the 1st to the 17th floor. The basement stairs were outside the building separated from the main stairs, and were locked from the outside but not the inside. Even though it meant going outside for bit, taking the steps back up was much faster than waiting for an elevator.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #26 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 9:41pm »

SWF, I said almost the same (going outside and having the door lock, and then needing to go up the stairs to an open door) thing in a post a couple of days ago. It was the last of three ideas, so maybe you did not see it.   Cry
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #27 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 7:06pm »

Speaker, I did see your suggestion, and that is what I meant when saying one of the previous guesses was close. To point out which  guess was very close would have given away the answer. I did not consider it correct because it was not quite right. The situation you suggested would not work for somebody who prefers the steps, and I had already hinted that I prefer the steps.

The question, was to guess the real reason, and that wasn't it, but was certainly on the right track. Also, it is not very realistic for a building to have an outdoor laundry room that requires everyone to take at least one flight of stairs up, since not everyone is able to climb stairs.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »