wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - What happened I »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 9:55pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: william wu, Grimbal, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, SMQ, towr)
   What happened I
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What happened I  (Read 2870 times)
itsme

What happened I  
« on: Jun 14th, 2005, 5:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There's a man lying dead in a telephone booth beside a river. The phone is off the hook, and there is smashed glass on the floor of the phone booth. What happened?

Note: I've always felt uncomfortable with these "what happened" riddles, because it seems like you could design a wide variety fantastic explanations. Indeed, the official answer I've been e-mailed for this riddle is quite fantastic

Can anyone tell me whats the fantastic answer to this riddle?
 Cheesy
IP Logged
Three Hands
Uberpuzzler

Reucserru+Oymai

Re: What happened I  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14th, 2005, 9:38am »

I think the normal one given is:

The man in the phone box was a very excited fisherman phoning his friend about the one he had just caught which was THAT big. Sadly, in his enthusiasm to convey the size, he forgot not only that his friend could not see his hand gestures, but that there were glass walls to the phone booth that he had just shattered, causing the various injuries leading to his subsequent bleeding to death.

Is this fantastical enough, or should we start coming up with even stranger ones Roll Eyes
IP Logged
baddab457

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18th, 2005, 9:17am »

well the man went to make a call, but due to his uncontrollable metabolic rates, after the sandwich he ate, the pounds just overwelmed him and he got so fat the phonebooth shattered...and he died from both a heart attack by clogd arteirys and the glass wounds...DAM YOU MCDONALDS!!!
IP Logged

"Dont Die For Your Country, Make Them SoB's Die For Theres" G Paton
xyz

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 2:32pm »

The man was in a fishing competition. He won, and while he was calling a friend to tell him, the looser smashed the glass and killed the guy who beat him.
Enough?  Grin
IP Logged
lemonpants

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2012, 9:49am »

Maybe it's a play on The Matrix? The man was trying to get out of the Matrix (via the phone), but he didn't get "out" in time before an agent drove into the phone booth?

I can't think of anything else, I'm quite curious to hear this "fantastic" answer. But, the cheering after catching a large fish and then slicing his wrists is quite clever. But I feel like the copious amounts of blood would have been mentioned? I have a feeling that there's gotta be a cleaner answer...
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2012, 11:25am »

The large fish one is the answer I was told when this joke/riddle was told to me long, long ago.
It is fantastic, in a quite literal sense.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13th, 2012, 2:19pm »

Me too.  I heard the story about a fisherman calling his friend about the large fish he caught in the 70's maybe.

As Sheldon would say: an interesting case for memetic epidemiology.
IP Logged
cartoonle

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17th, 2012, 1:29am »

Where can we find that fantastic answer?
IP Logged

friv - something i've built
marlonmark

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24th, 2012, 3:25am »

may be the Killer must have killed a man earlier then droped him inside the telephone booth beside a river so no one can see him, also he must have kept the phone off the hook and broken the window to show its not a murder
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »