wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Se7en »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 9:57pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, william wu, Icarus, towr, Grimbal, SMQ)
   Se7en
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Se7en  (Read 2443 times)
alien2
Uberpuzzler

Se7en  
« on: Mar 15th, 2008, 1:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

standby for a brilliant riddle * it needs polishing * it will be ready in a few days

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2008, 7:17am by alien2 » IP Logged

Random Lack of Squiggily Lines
Senior Riddler

Everything before 7/1/2008 is now irrelevant.

Re: the nameless riddle  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 1:20pm »

.nameci boj dooG
IP Logged

You can only believe i what you can prove, and since you have nothing proven to cmpare to, you can believe in nothing.

I have ~50 posts to hack a "R" into a "D". Which one?
iono
Senior Riddler

dehydrated water....

C47v1u

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 9:12pm »

so why not just start it when you have it ready?
IP Logged

So, if I help you, I'll get kicked for ksing, but if I don't, then I'll get kick for not helping...
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 9:29pm »

This is a soft launch of the riddle, to build up the suspense. Hope denis doesn't answer it in his first post, otherwise the build up would be wasted.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 10:35pm »

Coming soon ... a brilliant answer.
It needs polishing.
It will be ready in a few days.

Grin
IP Logged
Random Lack of Squiggily Lines
Senior Riddler

Everything before 7/1/2008 is now irrelevant.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 1:24pm »

?elddir a pu ekam ot gnitanitsarcorp rouY

.namecI ton os s'ti
IP Logged

You can only believe i what you can prove, and since you have nothing proven to cmpare to, you can believe in nothing.

I have ~50 posts to hack a "R" into a "D". Which one?
alien2
Uberpuzzler

Re: Seven  
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 9:00am »

Sorry for the peculiar delay. Here's the riddle.

Seven

Detective Somerset is investigating a murder case. The murder occurred in victim's secluded house, where the killer left the note in her hand: 'find me Somerset'. Janis was a loner and w/o living relatives, which was one of the reasons the demented, intelligent killer has chosen her.  

So Somerset is in the bedroom where the body is laying. These are the objects in the room: bed, nightstand with lamp and Bible on it, painting of sunset and analog clock both on the wall. Nothing, including fingerprints, was found at the usual investigation inside the room, as the killer cuts the skin of the tips of his fingers. But then the detective Somerset has an idea, so the killer is located and arrested the same day. How? Mind you, it wasn't because the killer was sloppy and the detective didn't find additional objects.  

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008, 10:57am by alien2 » IP Logged

Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 10:03am »

Sorry for the peculiar delay. Here's the answer.

Somerset had the whole city checked for fingerprints.  He arrested all those who had the skin cut from the tip of their fingers.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008, 3:47pm by Grimbal » IP Logged
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 10:12am »

How was she killed Icey?
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 10:43am »

on Mar 18th, 2008, 10:03am, Grimbal wrote:
Sommerset had the whole city checked for fingerprints.  He arrested all those who had the skin cut from the tip of their fingers.

Is this your brilliant answer or still suspense? Roll Eyes

on Mar 18th, 2008, 10:12am, ima1trkpny wrote:
How was she killed Icey?

She was throttled, although it is unimportant for the riddle.
IP Logged

alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 10:59am »

on Mar 18th, 2008, 10:03am, Grimbal wrote:
Sommerset

Actually it is Somerset. I made a similar mistake but I corrected it now.  
IP Logged

denis
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 12:29pm »

on Mar 18th, 2008, 9:00am, Iceman wrote:

painting of sunset on the wall.  

How do we know its not a painting of sunrise?

The note was written in advance on the killer's  paper pad. Somerset could read the signature indentation from the previous note that was written on the same pad.  

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008, 12:37pm by denis » IP Logged
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 1:26pm »

on Mar 18th, 2008, 10:43am, Iceman wrote:

She was throttled, although it is unimportant for the riddle.

Well, you could at least eliminate a few people based on the ligature marks on her neck. I'll keep working...  Smiley

[edit] The killer is a 7 fingered man? That shouldn't be too hard to find... [/edit]
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008, 1:27pm by ima1trkpny » IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 1:46pm »

on Mar 18th, 2008, 12:29pm, denis wrote:

How do we know its not a painting of sunrise?

The note was written in advance on the killer's  paper pad. Somerset could read the signature indentation from the previous note that was written on the same pad.  

This time I don't know what you're talking about. There was no previous note, as this was his 1st misdeed, and last.  

on Mar 18th, 2008, 1:26pm, ima1trkpny wrote:

Well, you could at least eliminate a few people based on the ligature marks on her neck. I'll keep working...  Smiley

[edit] The killer is a 7 fingered man? That shouldn't be too hard to find... [/edit]

Nothing like so.  

You have to enter the spirit of the riddle to solve it.  
IP Logged

denis
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 3:08pm »

Nothing, including fingerprints, was found at the usual investigation inside the room, as the killer cuts the skin of the tips of his fingers.
There was no previous note, as this was his 1st misdeed, and last.    

If this is the one and only only misdeed, why bother cutting his finger tips? He need only wear gloves. Or is this part important to solve the puzzle?

The fact the note mentioned Somerset by name could mean the murderer knew he would be assigned to the investigation. How could that be unless it was someone who worked with him?

Somerset went back to his precinct and checked everyone's fingers. The one that has all his fingers tips cut would be the murderer.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008, 3:18pm by denis » IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 3:42pm »

on Mar 18th, 2008, 3:08pm, denis wrote:

If this is the one and only only misdeed, why bother cutting his finger tips? He need only wear gloves. Or is this part important to solve the puzzle?

Perhaps he thinks ahead, and he wanted to do it again, in the future. Then again, a part of him, evidently, wanted to be caught by Somerset, as he thinks highly of him. In short, he's demented, as I said.  

The fact the note mentioned Somerset by name could mean the murderer knew he would be assigned to the investigation. How could that be unless it was someone who worked with him?

He likes Somerset. But yes, it would be more appropriate that this wasn't his 1st misdeed, so more power to you. I dunno much about organizational design of the police department, but perhaps Somerset likes stranglers in the night. Did I say stranglers? I meant strangers. In any case, only this time he left a note.  

Somerset went back to his precinct and checked everyone's fingers. The one that has all his fingers tips cut would be the murderer.

Nope. No fingertips and no fingers. Tongue

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008, 3:49pm by alien2 » IP Logged

Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 3:55pm »

He thought the killer must have read the Bible.

The murderer must have turned some pages.   He had to lick his fingers because they are so smooth and dry.  That way Somerset go a DNA sample.  He arrested his arch-enemy, Winterset.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008, 3:55pm by Grimbal » IP Logged
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #17 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 6:26pm »

Sounds like the movie of Se7en. When you say routine check, did they check behind the painting? Did they use UV light? Things like that?
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 4:37am »

on Mar 18th, 2008, 3:55pm, Grimbal wrote:
He thought the killer must have read the Bible.

The murderer must have turned some pages.   He had to lick his fingers because they are so smooth and dry.  That way Somerset go a DNA sample.  He arrested his arch-enemy, Winterset.

But why would he ever think that he cuts his fingertips like that? It is reasonable to assume that he used gloves instead. And perhaps it sounds a bit silly, but at least your thinking now. Wink

on Mar 18th, 2008, 6:26pm, mikedagr8 wrote:
Sounds like the movie of Se7en. When you say routine check, did they check behind the painting? Did they use UV light? Things like that?

It doesn't sound like routine check to me. Then again, I dunno much about it, and after the above movie maybe it is the routine now. Perhaps it wasn't routine check, but later Somerset had an idea. Focus on what I said, instead of inventing things like something behind the picture.  

Keep guessing like that you both, but no saliva and the picture wasn't turned upside down either. This time I'm looking exclusively for intended answer and an original one if I may say.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008, 4:38am by alien2 » IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #19 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 5:25am »

Clearly, the murderer wanted Somerset to find him. Knowing Somerset's first name is Matthew, he laid out the clues a la' Dan Brown.

He set to clock to 4:18pm ( the sunset points the time to be pm ), which translate to 16:18. Combined with the note, he had to use his name together with that clue, giving him the next clue Matthew 16:18. Referring to the Bible on the nightstand, he came to the verse, "And I say to thee. thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." He immediately run the name Rocky Peter, Peter the Rock, Rockey Petey, etc, through the database, rounding them up, to check on their fingertips.

I'm still waiting for a clue here..  Tongue
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 5:33am »

Nope. Clock is unimportant. Maybe if we eliminate one thing at a time, the remaining one will be a give away? Hm..  

on Mar 19th, 2008, 5:25am, JiNbOtAk wrote:
I'm still waiting for a clue here..  Tongue

.....perhaps rightfully so. Roll Eyes  Cool
IP Logged

gotit
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 6:51am »

From where did he get the paper to write the note. Did he tear it from the bible?
IP Logged

All signatures are false.
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #22 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 7:19am »

It is just a note.
IP Logged

gotit
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #23 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 7:49am »

But then the detective Somerset has an idea

What does that mean. Did he lay a trap for the killer or did he actually find a concrete proof against him?
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008, 7:49am by gotit » IP Logged

All signatures are false.
denis
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #24 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 8:49am »

Somerset went to the local library to see who borrowed the bible recently. Of course the killer would not leave his real name otherwise Somerset would not find him by virtue of this being his first misdeed. The entry that would interest Somerset would be something like "John Doe" , "me", "Janis Sunset" or even "Somerset". But since the murderer wanted to get caught, he used his correct address on his library card (Just like in the movie Se7en). So Somerset finds his man at the address listed in the library records which was confirmed by the cut fingertips and blood DNA of Janis on his clothes.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008, 8:50am by denis » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »