wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Button Button   »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:35pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: william wu, SMQ, Eigenray, Icarus, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, towr)
   Button Button  
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Button Button    (Read 1636 times)
alien2
Uberpuzzler

Button Button    
« on: Feb 16th, 2010, 1:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You are naked inside a room with a green force field instead of one wall, and two closed doors on two adjacent walls. Although at the moment it keeps you captive, the force field could lead to freedom. Each doors leads into one smaller room. Behind the red door is a cloned and hungry Velociraptor. You can hear her scratching and hitting the door. She has mutated as she is now tall as a tall man. Behind the yellow door is just a goat. The doors and the force field are controlled by control panel in the middle of the room. There is also the LED bulb on the ceiling, but it’s out of reach. The bulb is turned on.

The panel has plastic buttons in different colors and one button made out of silver. If you press the red button, two things will happen. First, the red door will open. Second, the force field will recognize you as a human 7 seconds later, and you’ll be able to pass through it. At no time would the Velociraptor be able to pass through the force field. If you press the silver button, you’ll be able to pass through the force field from that moment on. But there is a highly advanced resonant transformer circuit inside the panel and it's connected to the silver button. So the very moment you press it, current of extremely high voltage will electrocute you, most probably killing you on the spot. If you press the bicolor yellow/red button, both doors will open, and 20 seconds later you’ll be able to pass safely through the force field. Again, Velociraptor cannot pass through the force field.  

Which button would you press and why?  
IP Logged

pex
Uberpuzzler

Re: Button Button    
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2010, 1:37pm »

Do velociraptors like goats?
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 5:45am »

Maybe it likes you better. Tongue They were carnivorous.
IP Logged

SMQ
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 6:08am »

If only there were a way to get the 'raptor to press the silver button... Smiley

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 7:25am »

Assuming you are a male velociraptor, just press the red/yellow button and kindly invite her for a meal.  When you are done with whatever business you might think is suitable at that point, even if you are fast, you’ll be able to pass safely through the force field (even though you are not human, but it says this will happen), and you can go out.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2010, 7:27am by Grimbal » IP Logged
cheesepuff
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 1:24pm »

Press the blue one, and then follow Morpheus out of the Matrix and reappear on the other side of the force field.

Press both the red one and the bicolor one at the same time, and hope that it overloads.

Press the silver one and hope that "most likely" isn't "will".
IP Logged

errrrrrrrrrrr........ 24
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18th, 2010, 1:18am »

You could press the silver button while jumping.  If there is no contact with the ground I guess the electricity will not go through your body.  (Warning: don't actually try this at home, I am not an expert in high-voltage currents.)

You could cover yourself in feces.  At least the "you are naked" makes some sense.  If I had a choice, I'd prefer to eat a steak that is not covered with feces.  A velociraptor probably thinks the same.  (Again: don't try this at home, I am not an expert in hungry velociraptors).
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2010, 1:10am by Grimbal » IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: Feb 18th, 2010, 1:39pm »

Assuming that it possible to pry a button off, pry off either the red button or the yellow/red button. Cover the silver button with this plastic and press it.
IP Logged
Random Lack of Squiggily Lines
Senior Riddler

Everything before 7/1/2008 is now irrelevant.

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19th, 2010, 8:54pm »

on Feb 18th, 2010, 1:39pm, 0.999... wrote:
Assuming that it possible to pry a button off, pry off either the red button or the yellow/red button. Cover the silver button with this plastic and press it.

I was thinking like that, except you stand on the button to cut the circuit
IP Logged

You can only believe i what you can prove, and since you have nothing proven to cmpare to, you can believe in nothing.

I have ~50 posts to hack a "R" into a "D". Which one?
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2010, 4:50am »

There is the trick to hide behind the red door when it opens.  Press the red-yellow button.

Or you stand in front of the panel, the velociraptor runs towards you, at the last moment you jump to the side and the velociraptor hits the silver button.

Or you can wait until the velociraptor falls asleep.  When it stops scratching and starts snoring, press very gently on the red button.  As everybody knows, if you press a button very gently, the door will open very silently.

Or press the red-yellow button and let the goat kill the velociraptor.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2010, 4:51am by Grimbal » IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 11:27am »

on Feb 17th, 2010, 6:08am, SMQ wrote:
If only there were a way to get the 'raptor to press the silver button... Smiley

--SMQ

You could stay close to the control panel. So maybe the raptor would get tired of chasing you around the panel and then jump on it pressing the silver button. But that’s a long shot.

on Feb 17th, 2010, 1:24pm, cheesepuff wrote:
Press the blue one, and then follow Morpheus out of the Matrix and reappear on the other side of the force field.

Your answer reminds me of a similar answer to a similar riddle. The answer was: you press the green button. Just because I haven’t mentioned the green button, that doesn’t mean that there isn’t one. Personally, I don’t like that answer all that much, but maybe it can pass for an alternative one.  

on Feb 19th, 2010, 8:54pm, Random Lack of Squiggily Lines wrote:

I was thinking like that, except you stand on the button to cut the circuit

on Feb 18th, 2010, 1:18am, Grimbal wrote:
You could press the silver button while jumping.  If there is no contact with the ground I guess the electricity will not go through your body.  (Warning: don't actually try this at home, I am not an expert in high-voltage currents.)

This is the solution. As you said, if your feet aren’t on the ground when you press the silver button, you most probably won’t get hurt.  

on Feb 18th, 2010, 1:18am, Grimbal wrote:
You could cover yourself in feces.  At least the "you are naked" makes some sense.  If I had a choice, I'd prefer to eat a steack that is not covered with feces.  A velociraptor probably thinks the same.

You must be Salvador Dali's fan. He covered himself in feces of a goat and then entered the museum of his paintings. The museum was full of visitors at the time.

on Feb 18th, 2010, 1:39pm, 0.999... wrote:

Maybe you could pry it off if you were governor of California.

on Feb 22nd, 2010, 4:50am, Grimbal wrote:
Or you can wait until the velociraptor falls asleep.  When it stops scratching and starts snoring, press very gently on the red button.  As everybody knows, if you press a button very gently, the door will open very silently.

That could certainly increase you chances. Hopefully the Velociraptor would be asleep when you press the red button and maybe it wouldn’t hear the sound of the door opening.    

I think that there are no other options, unless you don’t want to press a button. You’ll die out of thirst, but at least the dinosaur won’t eat you alive.
IP Logged

cheesepuff
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: Mar 7th, 2010, 5:49pm »

on Mar 4th, 2010, 11:27am, alien2 wrote:

Maybe you could pry it off if you were governor of California.

Win
IP Logged

errrrrrrrrrrr........ 24
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »