wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Bottom     »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 7:32pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: Icarus, Eigenray, Grimbal, SMQ, william wu, towr, ThudnBlunder)
   Bottom    
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bottom      (Read 1412 times)
alien2
Uberpuzzler

Bottom      
« on: Jun 16th, 2012, 9:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Richie and Eddie are flatmates. They spend their time coming up with desperate schemes to acquire sex, attacking each other violently, and getting into dodgy deals and scrapes with the law.  

While sitting on the sofa in the morning, watching TV, Eddie loses consciousness for no reason. The next thing he remembers is waking up naked on the bed in a strange room without openings of any kind. The room is well illuminated, but he can't tell the source of light. He says: "Hey! Who took my clothes!? Is this your doing Richie!? Whose neat bed is this anyway?"

Next a deep voice speaks to him: "I am your mysterious captor. You were brought here for my amusement. I am not allowed to discuss my unique technology. I will just say that at all times I know everything what goes on inside the room. I will let you go, but first there is a simple test.

You've been here for 24 min or maybe 24 h. You must assert one of the options which is true. The clue is you could be sure in your assertion's validity. If your claim is true, you'll be $1000 richer. If false, you won't get any money and you'll experience severe pain caused by an energy beam before I let you go. You have half an hour. I'll periodically warn you about how much time you have left."
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2012, 3:04am by alien2 » IP Logged

towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Bottom      
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16th, 2012, 12:45pm »

Maybe if he shaved that morning, he can tell by the amount of stubble whether it's been a day.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
pex
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Jun 16th, 2012, 2:03pm »

on Jun 16th, 2012, 9:16am, alien2 wrote:
You've been here for 24 min or maybe 24 h. You must assert one of the options which is true. The clue is you could be sure in your assertion's validity. If your claim is true, you'll be $1000 richer. If false, you won't get any money and you'll experience severe pain caused by an energy beam before I let you go. You have half an hour. I'll periodically warn you about how much time you have left."

So if he waits until just before the end of the half hour, he can be sure that he has been in there for more than 24 minutes...
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24th, 2012, 3:16am »

Towr wins. Nice try pex.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »