wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Weeping Tower »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:00pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: towr, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Icarus, william wu, Eigenray)
   Weeping Tower
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Weeping Tower  (Read 2325 times)
alien2
Uberpuzzler

Weeping Tower  
« on: Oct 2nd, 2013, 4:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A man approaches a 50 m tall and round tower on a coast. The door is open and the window near the top is closed. There is a flag with a big black eye on a white field, carried by a ropeless flagpole centered on the top. The square flag has a side 2 m long. He enters the tower out of curiosity and the door closes behind him. Sensing danger, he tries to open the door, to no avail. He is even more scared and puzzled because his backpack vibrates for a few seconds. He notices a big black eye on the ceiling staring at him. A weepy voice addresses him: I am Weeping Tower. I am above all mean since I will soon start to shed tears of joy. Huge tears will continuously fall from my eye until I am completely filled with seawater within 3 hrs. The legend among us sentient towers says that before oceans, there was Lone Tower. Lone Tower was lonely because he was the first and only living creation on Earth, so he started to cry and his tears made the seas. There is a magical hemisphere around my eye and it cannot be penetrated by you. You cannot open the window or damage its magic glass. Although I would be delighted if you drown, I prefer even more so that you die of thirst or jump. And since my trapdoor is unlocked, you may use the staircase and climb all the way to my top if you like. I have disintegrated the flask of water and other objects in your backpack, excepting the rope. The rope is a few meters longer than my height. But I have cast a spell on your rope, so that you can firmly grab only 2 m of both ends whereas the rest of the rope is very slippery. The slippery part of the rope will remain like so for one month and it cannot be cleaned by liquid or other means. You strike me like someone who likes riddles. I too like riddles, and so I will tell you that there is a way for you to survive this. I feel sorry for you so now I will start to cry my eye out. How could the man save himself?
IP Logged

Nursejim

The 1 Inch Punch

Re: Weeping Tower  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 4th, 2013, 5:56am »

“I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
IP Logged

Advanced Sales Funnel System
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2013, 5:44am »

How could the man use the rope and the flagpole?      

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome! - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

IP Logged

alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27th, 2013, 3:51am »

Answer: He ties one dry end of the rope to the flagpole and then spools the  slippery part of the rope around the flagpole up to the other dry end of the rope, which then he ties around his waist. He should then grab firmly dry part of the rope around his waist, lean back and slowly start making careful steps while unrolling the slippery rope from the flagpole. Thus he could spiral down around the walls of the tower until reaching the firm ground.
IP Logged

Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jan 1st, 2014, 11:50am »

I'd like to improve on the answer
hidden:
It could be a problem to go around the tower and unroll the rope, especially if the top is crenellated.
So I would propose the man attaches one end to the flagpole, the other end to himself and rolls the rope around his waist.  He can get down while unrolling himself, one half-turn at a time.

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2014, 11:50am by Grimbal » IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jan 1st, 2014, 1:35pm »

Both answers require a quite deal of dexterity, so it is questionable which one is easier to apply. But anyway, I thank you for pondering upon the solution of the riddle, which with all modesty, I invented. I would like to add that the roof in my mind wasn't crenellated.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »