wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Dragon's Blood I »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 4:22am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: towr, Grimbal, Icarus, william wu, SMQ, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder)
   Dragon's Blood I
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Dragon's Blood I  (Read 1995 times)
alien2
Uberpuzzler

Dragon's Blood I  
« on: Jun 25th, 2014, 6:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

1. In which of the two places Betralion has gone to, Equidorn or Nakma Lehtn Adat Ryn? Prove it!
2. What did Ardabal inferred in the Pine Forest to be the treasure and whose treasure was it?

YOUNG AGE AND LEGENDS

Tamanak is the world of magic and iron, with iron being used in weapon production. It is inhabited by many magical and non-magical races. The only known and roundish land called Earthen Wheel is surrounded by the ocean called the Blue Embrace. The two largest of land regions are Mirnodor and Groznomor. Men are Mirnodor’s largest and the most dominant race. Because it is mostly plain, Mirnodor is also called the Palm of a Giant. Groznomor is populated mostly by its most dominant race of Orcs.  

One of the most valued commodities at the Main Bazaar in Mirnodor are Precious Swords and Snails Elixion. Precious Swords are magic swords with an enchanted gemstone in the handle, usually emerald. Snails Elixion, also called Creeping Gold, have silver or golden house. The snails are a delicacy. Golden Elixion are rather rare, but one could find plenty of them only in parts of Wastelands, which is why those daring to look for fortune enter this dangerous and partially unexplored region. Majority of Fire Dragons dwell in the area in Wastelands called Gorgoth.

Men talk in inns as of late mostly about Lemling and a treasure in a Pontil Tree.  

Lemling is a ship made by Elves. The ship was a gift to the Man called Eternef, son of Arnagor and the king of Mirnodor. Men are also called Sealanders as they travel the sea as well as land. Lemling has magic sails that are suited for the fickle Olbuk wind that blows in the unexplored North-West part of the ocean. It has a Fire Dragon's head at the prow and a tail at the stern. Since dragons cannot be tamed, Men of Mirnodor have a saying about the ship: “The only tame dragon in Tamanak.” The ship got its name after the Elf who Men call Lem, which is an acronym that stands for Lasnnor Ereas Moonglade.

A few years ago, the Mage called Krimago spread the story in Mirnodor’s inns and taverns about how the spell Clairvoyance enabled him to see the treasure in the Pontil Tree, full of gold and gemstones. He excels at Clairvoyance, which enables him to clearly see many distant objects in his mind. He said that the Pontil Tree is in the Pine Forest, the most Northern point of Mirnodor. He also said that he saw the Fiend called Oga who lives in the forest. The Fiend shouldn’t be a problem for a well-equipped party, as it is well-known it is difficult to kill Oga with ordinary swords, but the Fiend is highly allergic to Precious Swords.    

Shadow Halflings, who live in the region Candletree, hew Pontil Trees into their homes, as these trees have a very wide and hollow trunk. There is a story about a solitary Shadow Halfling called Grgin Lonetree, who took a seed of a Pontil Tree and left Candletree. Grgin preferred to be alone, always looking for peace and quiet. He met a Druid in Mirnodor who enchanted his seed, so that it grows quickly when in contact with water. They say Grgin planted the seed in the Pine Forest and poured some of the water from a bottle. The Pontil Tree grew in matter of minutes and he lived there alone and content the rest of his days.

Please don’t be too harsh in judging my English. Embarassed
IP Logged

alien2
Uberpuzzler

Re: Dragon's Blood I  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25th, 2014, 6:51am »

BETRALION

Betralion is a Man who has Ice Dragon’s blood. He used to be an ordinary Man and his name was Abergald. The powerful Wizard Hergo, possessed the fiery spell Alteration III, which he acquired from the Fire Elemental called Akres Small. The spell causes some of the magical or non-magical cold to temporarily or permanently leave the target’s body. On one occasion, Hergo successfully cast the spell on an Ice Dragon, lowering the cold might of dragon’s breathe attack. Abergald happened to be nearby, exposing himself to short blue waves that were escaping dragon’s body, and the cold essence of the beast got imprinted on him. That is why his skin is cold to the touch and you can see his breathe at summer. Just like Ice Dragons, Betralion has a very high resistance to cold, as he can live in the cold region Frozen Tears without getting frostbites and resist most Cold Spells. Because of his wild dragon’s blood, he rarely turns on those loyal to him for no reason, as if he is under a Charm Spell. This is how he got the name Betralion, which comes from the word “betray”, as he might betray you and turn against you. Betralion tries his best to control the dragon in him.  

Betralion wields the magic sword called Hailbringer, whose blade inflicts additional extra cold damage on wielder’s command. Hailbringer has a blue sapphire in the handle, which was enchanted by the Mage Modrolin who excelled at Cold Magic.

Two dozen Moons ago, Betralion and the White Wizard Ardabal were talking about land regions Equidorn and Nakma Lehtn Adat Ryn. Betralion said to Ardabal that he is thinking about leaving to one of those places.

Many believe that most of Tamanak’s life originated from Equidorn, which has the most beautiful landscapes, like waterfalls. There dwell many different creatures, which mostly tolerate each other, as Equidorn is renowned for being a peaceful place and sanctuary. Red Trees, which grow well only in Equidorn’s soil, produce oxygen as well as magic gas called Mirin that pacifies.

Nakma Lehtn Adat Ryn is Old Elfish for an area that apparently exists, the only place in Wastelands where every evil can leave completely everyone who lives there. They say it is because of the magic in earth, rocks and some plants.

Before leaving Mirnodor, Betralion left a scroll containing the following signed note in Ardabal’s Moon Tower: “The only tame dragon in Tamanak.” Ardabal stares at the note for a while and then pensively says: “Sadness is a faithful companion to happiness. I hope you’ll find what you’re looking for, my friend.”

THE PINE FOREST

The Fellowship of Saramantir enters the Pine Forest, as they promised to the Gnome called Gnashka they will look for the treasure in the lone Pontil Tree. They come across trails of Varnack, a draught animal similar to horse but larger. There are quite a few damaged skeletons mostly of Men, as well as their savagely torn clothes and boots. The party encounters an eight feet tall creature with triangular sharp teeth and claws on his hands. Ardabal recognizes him and tells others to stand still and be quiet. The creature sniffs around for a while, and then heads in another direction. When the creature is out of sight, Ardabal tells to the party: “It wasn’t Oga, rather Femora, a Demon far more powerful. Femora can cast a powerful spell, which affects those of flesh and bone in the vicinity by paralyzing them partially or completely for one day. It is impossible for most to outrun the Demon as he uses the spell Teleportation, which enables him to instantly appear dozens of meters in distance. But Demon’s sight isn’t that good, and if those near him stand still, he cannot see them because his vision is based on movement. Although he can eat pine-cones, he is primarily a gluttonous carnivore and he usually waits for the prey to come to him so that he can devour it. Although he can eat animals, he does so rarely, as he prefers the meat of Men, Elves and the like. It is very difficult to kill him, and probably only I out of our party might defeat him. His skin is very hard to penetrate by a blade or an arrow and he is immune to most magic. It would be wise to leave the forest.” Shem Pocketier, the Shadow Halfling from the Bergud forest in Candletree, says to the others: “I agree that the rest of you should leave the forest. I could enter Shadows becoming partially or completely invisible and look for the Pontil Tree that holds the treasure.” Ardabal replies: “I fear there is no Pontil Tree in the forest, Shem. There is, however, a treasure of the Pine Forest, but it isn’t here.”
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2014, 4:14am by alien2 » IP Logged

dudiobugtron
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2014, 5:23pm »

Interesting read! Great story and setup; is the story part of some other thing you are creating?

Anyway, my answers:
1) Initially, it seems like he would have gone to Nakma Lehtn Adat Ryn, since he would want to cure himself of evil, and that is the only place to do it.  Also, the clue he left is a name for an elven ship, and Nakma Lehtn Adat Ryn is Old Elfish.

However, it seems on further inspection that more of the clues point to Betralion having gone to Equidorn. Mirin gas is also a way of dealing with his ice dragon blood, since it would pacify it, allowing him to become 'the only tame dragon in Tamanak'. Ardabal's comment about sadness being  a faithful companion to happiness also suggests that Betralion doesn't intend to rid himself of the ice dragon blood completely.

Of course, the dragon Betralion mentions may not be lemling nor himself, but a real dragon. Since all of Tamanak's life originated in Equidorn, perhaps there is a dragon living there peacefully, which has been tamed by the gas. Betralion may have heard of this dragon, or predicted its existance, and he is going to Equidorn to find it. This also fits with Arabal's clue, since he doesn't intend to tame himself.

2) I think that the treasure is either lemling, or in lemling, and that lemling was made from Grgin Lonetree's Pontil tree. It may have grown large enough to be the hull when it touched the water, or it might have been large enough already. It had also already been hollowed out, so perhaps when the elves found it they didn't hollow it out further, and then also didn't find Grgin's hidden treasure.

Perhaps Grgin begame an Oga over the years, and is still hiding in the shadows onboard lemling.  Otherwise, the treasure, even if it is not yet discovered, belongs to Eternef. Or, perhaps the treasure always belonged to Eternef, and was placed there after he waa given the ship; but that doesn't explain the Oga.
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27th, 2014, 11:46am »

Thanks for your encouragement. The riddle is abbreviation of my fantasy book which I try to write.

The answer lies in the center of the vortex, and for the moment you are just circling around it.

IP Logged

dudiobugtron
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jul 1st, 2014, 12:09am »

I'm surprised my answer to 1 isn't correct, I thought it fitted the clues really well! Perhaps I shoild look at what clues I haven't used yet.  I'm not sure I'll be able to come up with any other ideas though, but I'll definitely give it more thought.

Of course, if I can't work it out myself, I can always just read the book when it comes out!
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22nd, 2014, 7:05am »

Clue #1: For the 1st riddle, focus only on the note.

Clue #2: You cannot solve the 1st riddle w/o a pencil and a sheet of paper.
IP Logged

dudiobugtron
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22nd, 2014, 4:55pm »

Clue 1 is perhaps slightly misleading (although it lead me in exactly the right direction) since you also need to focus on the names of the places!

The answer is I am gone to Nakma Lehtn Adat Ryn
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23rd, 2014, 4:28am »

Your answer is correct.
IP Logged

dudiobugtron
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25th, 2014, 12:21am »

Still stuck on puzzle 2.

Should we know the answer to either of the following questions?:

1) does the betralion section have any clues to help us figure out the pine forest riddle?
2) does the introduction have any substantial clues for the pine forest riddle, or are they pretty much all in the 'pine forest' section?

If we shouldn't know those answers, then that's fine; but if it is stuff we should know then I don't know it yet.
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Aug 25th, 2014, 4:41am »

on Aug 25th, 2014, 12:21am, dudiobugtron wrote:

1) does the betralion section have any clues to help us figure out the pine forest riddle?

No.

on Aug 25th, 2014, 12:21am, dudiobugtron wrote:
2) does the introduction have any substantial clues for the pine forest riddle, or are they pretty much all in the 'pine forest' section?

The introduction contains a few clues.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »