wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - religion »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 10:48pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   truth
(Moderators: Icarus, william wu, Grimbal, towr, SMQ, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder)
   religion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: religion  (Read 23325 times)
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: religion  
« Reply #125 on: Nov 9th, 2009, 2:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 8th, 2009, 3:41pm, BenVitale wrote:
What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?
An immovable object would need to have infinite mass. So aside from the fact that it cannot exist, it would warp space to such an extent that time would stop, if not do something weirder.  
Likewise an irresistible force cannot exist, because it would likewise have to be infinite. Therefore if it does work over any distance the energy involved is infinite. And energy being equivalent to mass, it warps space to such an extent that time stops.
Since it takes time for anything to happen, and given that time stops when these concepts are involved, nothing happens. Tongue Grin
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #126 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 11:38am »

By definition, if an object is immovable, there is no force that can be applied to it without it resisting it - equally, if you have an irresistible force, it will move any object to which it is applied.

Even in cosmologies where you don't need infinities to have irresistible forces or immovable objects, the two can only co-exist as long as they never collide...

And, of course, infinite power doesn't necessarily mean being able to do logically inconsistent things - being able to produce arbitrary, non-negligible amounts of energy in zero time means you supply infinite power over that time - but doesn't enable you to create something too heavy to lift...
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #127 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 12:00pm »

Any force can be resisted by an equal but opposite force; so an irresistible force cannot exist.
IP Logged

Vondell

« Reply #128 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 1:15pm »

on Nov 6th, 2009, 5:31am, Grimbal wrote:

If God could solve the problem, whatever it was, without letting his son die, but didn't, then he wanted him to die and that makes him bad.

He could've.  But a different solution would have taken away free will.
IP Logged

Why is it that people ask for my two cents worth, and then only offer me a penny for my thoughts?
That deal sucks!
Vondell

« Reply #129 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 1:37pm »

As far as the irresistable force/immovable object paradox, I've always considered it a logic question...not whether or not such concepts could exist in reality.

Anyway,  since one can't move, or be moved, by the other...wouldn't they essentially destroy each other thereby cancelling out each.  Just because something can't be moved, that doesn't mean it can't be destroyed.

Thoughts?
IP Logged

Why is it that people ask for my two cents worth, and then only offer me a penny for my thoughts?
That deal sucks!
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #130 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 2:27pm »

on Nov 12th, 2009, 1:37pm, Vondell wrote:
, I've always considered it a logic question ...

Read the Irresistible force paradox

As an exercise in logic. The answer is either:
(a) True
(b) False
(c) Undecidable or unanswerable

I believe the answer to be (c)

An immovable object <==> infinite mass and create a singularity
An unstoppable force <==> infinite energy

In a finite universe, infinite energy does not exist.

In the universe as we know it, there are no irresistible forces and immovable objects.

But, if we imagine a universe A which allows irresistible forces, it won't allow any immovable objects.
Otherwise we have a contradiction.

And, if we imagine a universe B which allows an immovable object, this universe won't allow an irresistible force.
Again, we would face a contradiction.

So, we cannot have both irresistible forces and immovable objects.
So, an irresistible force cannot meet an immovable object.
IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #131 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 2:33pm »

on Nov 12th, 2009, 1:37pm, Vondell wrote:
As far as the irresistable force/immovable object paradox, I've always considered it a logic question...not whether or not such concepts could exist in reality.

But doesn't classical logic tend to be insufficient for dealing with infinities, eg. transfinite numbers, singularities, etc?
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Vondell

« Reply #132 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 2:44pm »

I agree that the scenario is pretty much impossible.  (Personally, I allow the possibility for anything to exist/happen however improbable.)  But, the question is a "what if?"  It does not require that the objects/events in question actually exist...just that thought is exercised on the question itself.

For example..."If you could have any superpower, what would it be?"
Some would answer with a given "power," while others would answer, "superpowers do not exist, therefore the question is irrelevant."  It's the question, not the reality.

It's a "what if" scenario.  IF the laws of physics were bent/broken for just a moment, what would the outcome be?  

Besides, where would we be now if "what if's" were never explored?

IP Logged

That deal sucks!
Vondell

« Reply #133 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 2:47pm »

on Nov 12th, 2009, 2:33pm, ThudanBlunder wrote:

But doesn't classical logic tend to be insufficient for dealing with infinities, eg. transfinite numbers, singularities, etc?

That's why a definite answer can't be agreed upon.  It's an attempt to define/answer something we can't/don't fully understand.

IP Logged

That deal sucks!
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #134 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 3:41am »

on Nov 5th, 2009, 12:56pm, BenVitale wrote:
What was Jesus' “incentive” to go on the cross?

Err..correct me if I'm wrong, but did Jesus had any choice in the matter ?  

In my opinion, God being omnipotent does not mean God can do anything and everything. Aside from the example that Grimbal gave, there are other limitations to what God cannot do. Basically, God could (or as some might say, should) only do Godly things.
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #135 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 12:13pm »

We could define Economics, incentives as:

Economics is the study of the allocation of scarce resources.

We live a life defined by scarcity, Jesus' promise (the promise of heaven if you chose to believe in him) was to transform scarcity into into a world of abundance.  

An incentive is any factor (financial or non-financial) that enables or motivates a particular course of action ... It is an expectation that encourages people to behave in a certain way.

Here's a perspective I found in Time magazine:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,898431,00.html

IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #136 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 12:29pm »

on Nov 13th, 2009, 12:13pm, BenVitale wrote:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,898431,00.html

Quoting the article: "If this supernaturalistic event [Jesus ressurection] did not take place, as unbelievers hold, it requires a natural explanation"

Does an event that did not take place really require any explanation?
IP Logged

Vondell

« Reply #137 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 1:15pm »

I believe it means "What happenned to His body if He were not resurrected?"

But, it seems as if most of the information in the article is taken largely out of context.  

As far as faking His death on the cross, consider that most people condemned to die by crucifixion had their hands and feet bound to the cross with rope.  Jesus had His hands and feet 'nailed' to the cross.  Not to mention He had already been beaten and lashed prior (and was too weak to even carry His own cross.)  After His death, the 2 others with them had their legs broken so that they could not support themselves any longer, but His side was pierced which would contribute to considerable blood loss.  
After His death, the priests and Pharisees were worried that the disciples would steal Jesus' body in order to fulfill the resurrection, so they went to Pilate and had the tomb sealed and guarded to prevent such an occurrence.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2009, 9:25pm by Vondell » IP Logged

That deal sucks!
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #138 on: Nov 22nd, 2009, 3:23am »

Is there any evidence that Jesus actually resurrected?
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #139 on: Nov 22nd, 2009, 7:13am »

on Nov 22nd, 2009, 3:23am, Grimbal wrote:

There's a handful of eye-witness accounts that were written down (according to current thinking as reported on Wikipedia) within a few decades of the event that have Jesus walking and talking after his death.

It's hard to think of any other kind of evidence that would be expected to exist if someone really did come back to life a couple of thousand years ago. Even if someone were to reliably come back from the dead today, it's hard to think of any evidence that we could leave that would convince sceptics in a future where no-one resurrects...
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #140 on: Nov 22nd, 2009, 7:16am »

That depends on what you allow/define as evidence. Clearly there is the Bible, and it is evidence in the sense that it gives (some) people a reason to think that the world is one way rather than another. Whether it is compelling evidence (in an argumentation-theoretic or scientific way), I would say not.

In the same way there is a plenty of evidence for Santa Claus; such as getting gifts at Christmas. But there are many other reasons not to believe it, and the evidence there is for him can be explained in other ways as well. Christmas gifts can both be evidence for Santa and for your parents' generosity and love.

However, aside from the bible, I don't believe there is a lot of (independent) corroborating evidence.
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #141 on: Nov 22nd, 2009, 7:29am »

on Nov 22nd, 2009, 7:13am, rmsgrey wrote:
Even if someone were to reliably come back from the dead today, it's hard to think of any evidence that we could leave that would convince sceptics in a future where no-one resurrects...
If by "skeptic" you mean someone dead set on disbelieving it, then yes; they could always prefer to believe there was some conspiracy out to mislead them (but such people really aren't skeptics).  
If you had pathology report by a reliable physician that someone died, and other reports of a later date that the person was alive, and an explanation by experts how that happened, then I think any reasonable skeptic would be able to value such expert evidence for what it is.
If we had independent witness accounts, of say Roman soldiers, that 1) saw Jesus had died, and 2) (possibly others) that saw him at a later date, then that would do much to substantiate the claims he came back from the dead, or at least did something very much like it. But as far as I know his name doesn't even come up in any Roman records, let alone with such details.
IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #142 on: Nov 22nd, 2009, 1:05pm »

on Nov 22nd, 2009, 7:16am, towr wrote:

In the same way there is a plenty of evidence for Santa Claus; such as getting gifts at Christmas.  

That reminds me of the Curry's paradox or  Lob's paradox

If a man with flying reindeer has delivered presents to all the good children in the world in one night, then Santa Claus exists
IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #143 on: Nov 24th, 2009, 2:14pm »

It seems that there are parallels between the story of Jesus with various pagan saviors:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa6.htm

And here: http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa.htm

Comparative Religion
http://members.cox.net/deleyd/religion/cr.htm

David W. Deley's Home Page
http://members.cox.net/deleyd/index.htm

Horus and Jesus: mythological plagiarism?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2009/05/horus_and_jesus_mythological_p.htm l

IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #144 on: Jul 16th, 2011, 11:01am »

Lionel Tiger: The Brain Creates Religion

Lionel Tiger means that it is a neurochemical process.

"Believing in God generates soothing "juices" in the brain that make us feel good."

http://bigthink.com/ideas/20159

« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2011, 11:01am by Benny » IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #145 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 5:48am »

The brain also has mechanisms for percieving colours, tastes, straight lines, edges, words, faces, etc, etc, etc...

Therefore, nothing has a face!

Or maybe not... But any invoking of the "God-spotter" region of the brain as an argument for the non-existence of gods has to account for the difference between that mechanism and the various mechanisms that exist to detect those aspects of the world that are generally accepted as real - or else it becomes an argument that faces don't exist...
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #146 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 2:19pm »

BenVitale, are you differentiating between 'religion' and 'believing in God'?
If so, perhaps 'believing in God' could be renamed 'religion, but not as we know it (Jim)'. LOL  
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2011, 1:28pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
khuram4u

« Reply #147 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 4:15pm »

this is very serious and sensitive question. You should be good at research to know the reality. there are many religions and views but The God is only one.

In fact, people made this a complex issue due to misguide and wrong interpretation.

Well, go and research your self, i would simply say. if i explained my opinion, to say this is right religion and that is wrong, then i am afraid many of us will hurt.

I must say only one is true else are the wrong interpretations.
IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #148 on: Oct 31st, 2011, 11:56pm »

I know this is an old issue, it got me thinking, for Jesus to be resurrected, he would need to die on the cross.  

Is there any evidence of that ?
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #149 on: Nov 1st, 2011, 10:32am »

Well, we do know that plenty of people have been crucified and died as a result, even if we lack evidence for most individuals it happened to. It's problematic enough to find solid evidence Jesus existed at all; all we have to go on are writings put down long after he supposedly died.  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »