wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Creation vs Evolution »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:48am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   truth
(Moderators: Grimbal, Icarus, Eigenray, towr, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, william wu)
   Creation vs Evolution
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Creation vs Evolution  (Read 24114 times)
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

Re: Creation vs Evolution  
« Reply #125 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 6:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Reading back on the previous posts, something strike me as a bit weird. Do you have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas ? Does that mean you also have to be Christian to celebrate New Year ? (The Christian's New Year, which falls on Jan 1st.)

We (Malaysians) celebrate at least 3 New Years, the Muslim's (1st of Muharram), the Chinese (the latest was on the 3rd of Feb), and of course, the Christian one, 1st Jan.  

Is it ok for Buddhist to celebrate Diwali ? Does a Christian considered "fallen" if he celebrates Eidul Fitr ? Is it sinful for Muslims to celebrate Valentine's ?

Do Americans who's not in America celebrate 4th of July ?  

Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #126 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 9:05am »

It depends on your viewpoint. You can't really celebrate the birth of Christ if you don't believe it happened or consider it rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things. You can of course celebrate crass consumerism on the very same day, but that wouldn't be what a Christian considered celebrating Christmas.
So it's very much a question of what exactly you are celebrating. I think most of us can get behind the "good will towards men" sentiment of Christmas; so that is something everyone could celebrate together in Christmas, but other aspects won't appeal to everyone.
If it's an official holiday and day off, we can probably agree on celebrating a free day. Wink
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #127 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 2:58am »

on Feb 16th, 2011, 6:52am, JiNbOtAk wrote:

Do Americans who's not in America celebrate 4th of July ?  

Americans who are not in America don't need an excuse to celebrate. Tongue

(Well, Canadians might.)  

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2011, 1:47am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Mickey1

« Reply #128 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 5:12am »

You have come a long way from Creation vs Evolution.

Is that due evolution or creation?
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #129 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 5:57am »

on Feb 17th, 2011, 5:12am, Mickey1 wrote:
You have come a long way from Creation vs Evolution.

Kiss ? Kiss

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2011, 8:45am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #130 on: Mar 13th, 2011, 5:48pm »

on Feb 14th, 2011, 10:09pm, towr wrote:
The following links go a long way to explaining the problem:
http://www.skeptically.org/logicalthreads/id15.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/447/does-reading-about-cogni tive-biases-improve-reasoning
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #131 on: Mar 23rd, 2011, 5:01pm »

on Feb 16th, 2011, 9:05am, towr wrote:

I think most of us can get behind the "good will towards men" sentiment of Christmas;  Wink

If that sentiment implies '...and screw the ladies' then I think I can get behind it, too.  
After all, one in the bush is worth two in the hand.  Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2011, 10:04am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #132 on: Mar 24th, 2011, 9:35am »

It wasn't all that funny the first time you posted it to be honest, so why repost it today?

Quote:
man1 [man] noun, plural men
2. a member of the species Homo sapiens or all the members of this species collectively, without regard to sex: prehistoric man.
3. the human individual as representing the species, without reference to sex; the human race; humankind: Man hopes for peace, but prepares for war.
4. a human being; person: to give a man a chance; When the audience smelled the smoke, it was every man for himself.
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #133 on: Mar 24th, 2011, 12:29pm »

on Mar 24th, 2011, 9:35am, towr wrote:
It wasn't all that funny the first time you posted it to be honest, so why repost it today?

I didn't repeat it. I added to it. And reposted it so that it wouldn't be buried. Why do I need to explain my actions to you?
I happen to think it funny. I daresay ladies would also find it funny. Can't speak for men like yourself, of course.
Anyway, I don't expect somebody whose posts are as relentlessly mirthless as yours to be a good judge of what is funny.

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2011, 12:30pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #134 on: Mar 24th, 2011, 12:45pm »

on Mar 24th, 2011, 12:29pm, ThudnBlunder wrote:

I didn't repeat it.
I didn't say you did. But it is not now posted where it was before.

Quote:
Why do I need to explain my actions to you?
I never asked for an explanation, nor do I expect one. Do you really think that I think you need to explain your action?

Quote:
Anyway, I don't expect somebody whose posts are as relentlessly mirthless as yours to be a good judge of what is funny.
Haha. Guess I hit a sore spot.  
I daresay others would disagree with you.
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #135 on: Mar 24th, 2011, 2:25pm »

on Mar 24th, 2011, 12:45pm, towr wrote:

Haha. Guess I hit a sore spot.  

Laddish humour also has that effect on some of us.  Tongue    
IP Logged

sahibagupta

« Reply #136 on: Aug 1st, 2011, 2:20am »

Hi

Americans do not believe humans evolved, and the vast majority says that even if its evolution, God guided the process. Only 13 percent say that God was not involved. But most could not replace the teaching of creationism for the teaching of evolution in public schools.Support of evolution is more heavily concentrated among those with more education and those who never attend religious services or almost nothing.  
Thanks
spam link removed (poker site)
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2011, 6:00am by Grimbal » IP Logged
fizyka

Physics&Informa tics <3

« Reply #137 on: Dec 6th, 2011, 4:21pm »

I think christmass now isnt only about christianity and religion. Nowadays it's more like happy, warm day for family staying together Cheesy
I am an atheist, but I couldnt have winter without x-massSmiley
IP Logged

fizyka , karta wzorów fizyka , książki z fizyki
Mickey1

« Reply #138 on: Jan 6th, 2012, 12:29pm »

The initial question is quite open. Let us also examine a more precisely worded issue: how did life develop on Earth the last few billion years.
The first choice is to define our tools: should we use i) science or, should we use ii) religious input?

If we choose i) we must take another step  

We need a method of scenario development, i.e. we must examine possible scenarios or hypothesis about what happened.

In this process we meet the exact same choice; should we use i) science or ii) religious input.  
Logic suggest we should be consistent and use the same tool, that is use the combination i) + i) or ii) + ii).

If we start to combine we get strange alternatives, for instance assume we might examine the alternative that had a genetic evolution for everything except for mosquitoes. They were created 4 years and 3 months ago.  

The AAAS has an interesting post about this on their website, to which I am not allowed to link, being a newbie.  
IP Logged
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #139 on: Jan 6th, 2012, 12:40pm »

on Jan 6th, 2012, 12:29pm, Mickey1 wrote:
The AAAS has an interesting post about this on their website, to which I am not allowed to link, being a newbie.

First, you're welcome to include relevant links in posts at any level, just not in your forum signature; second, you just completed 50 posts, so with your very next post you'll be a Newbie no more!

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

Mickey1

« Reply #140 on: Jan 10th, 2012, 1:40pm »

I am now trying out my new Junior identity for the first time.

I am not sure I understood all the rules about links I read earlier, posted by yourself. However, not to understand everything goes well with me in the spirit of medieval orders, of which I believe this is the logical and appropriate continuation.
IP Logged
StubbyNubbs

« Reply #141 on: Feb 17th, 2012, 1:56pm »

on Feb 16th, 2011, 6:52am, JiNbOtAk wrote:
... Is it sinful for Muslims to celebrate Valentine's ? ...
 Roll Eyes

apparently http://www.panorama.am/en/society/2012/02/15/arabia-valentine/
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #142 on: Feb 17th, 2012, 2:21pm »

You gotta love a name like "The Organisation for Promoting Virtue and Discouraging Evil".

Quote:
The religious authorities say Muslims who take part in Valentine's Day are in fact weak, lacking imagination, and far removed from the "sublime and virtuous" objectives of their religion.
Their wives must be really lucky.

Quote:
The organisation has also confiscated all red roses from shops
I wonder if they gave them to their wives. Though I suppose that wouldn't require a lot of imagination.
IP Logged

frankrizal

Email

« Reply #143 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 4:42pm »

Well for me one thing is sure. That life existed because God did it.  I don't believe that life just existed somewhere..  Grin Grin
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #144 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 5:34am »

Well for me one thing is sure. That God exists because man made It.  I don't believe that God just existed somewhere..  Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2012, 5:35am by Grimbal » IP Logged
sandradiaz770

« Reply #145 on: May 25th, 2012, 4:38am »

I know extremely convincing arguments on both edges. Science teachers stick with development, when theologist stick with creation. I just like to see precisely what individuals here think of the couple, and what kind of one provides the more persuading argument.  

IP Logged
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #146 on: May 25th, 2012, 4:54am »

As a religious person myself (Christian of the US Mainline Protestant variety as I've mentioned before), I find the scientific arguments more compelling, mainly because they are backed by examinable evidence and repeatable experiment. The religious arguments, on the other hand, are based more on tradition (and often very recent tradition at that--Young Earth Creationism, for instance, is a framework less than 100 years old) and rigid authoritarianism than on even an honest attempt to understand holy scripture, let alone the observable natural phenomena.

For myself, if I find my religion running contrary to observable fact (and by this point I think evolution belongs in that category), I have some rethinking to do. Smiley

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #147 on: May 25th, 2012, 5:17pm »

Frankly, I don't know of any convincing argument in favor of creationism.
The arguments boil down to "The Bible says so".  And to me, that has not much weight.

There are some valid arguments against evolution.  But even if the theory of evolution were to be proven completely wrong, that wouldn't mean creation is correct.  Creation would remain an extraordinary explanation for our origins for which there is no evidence.  Well, in my opinion.

In case it matters, I was raised as an agnostic, son of a physicist.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #148 on: May 27th, 2012, 11:39am »

I've always liked this quote from St. Augustine:
Quote:
It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, [... etc etc ...], may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are.

On the other hand he did assert the earth was no more than 6000 years old, so ha ha, in your face St. Augustine.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »