wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Stephen Hawking's quotes »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:16pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   truth
(Moderators: towr, Grimbal, Eigenray, SMQ, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, william wu)
   Stephen Hawking's quotes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Stephen Hawking's quotes  (Read 7508 times)
Benny
Uberpuzzler

Re: Stephen Hawking's quotes  
« Reply #25 on: Sep 19th, 2010, 5:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Towr,

Re: we have seen this movie before, and it didn't go well.  

It's just an American expression, meaning, we've been thru this argument or similar argument before, namely, the "spontaneous generation"

And, I'd like to repeat the following just in case it gets overlooked

He and Mr. Mlodinow don't claim to have proved that God doesn't exist; their argument is somewhat more confined, but still important in its implications.  

http://physicsandphysicists.blogspot.com/2010/09/grand-design-book-revie w.html  

« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2010, 5:09pm by Benny » IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #26 on: Sep 29th, 2010, 3:01am »

IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

« Reply #27 on: Sep 29th, 2010, 1:01pm »

@towr,
I was about to post that one myself after I saw it Cheesy

As I said before, Hawking was most likely quoted out of context by the media (as usual).  

-- AI
IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
Mickey1

« Reply #28 on: Sep 30th, 2010, 7:13am »

Suppose  

Re: Hawking - that the universe contained only two Earth like planets, Earth being one.
Where would the new number (2=1 known +1 unknown) lead us (and Hawking) in terms of aliens?

Re: God - that I could prove that I (all) God-believers were wrong in their reasoning about the existence of God .  Would that change anything?

(I was at the bottom of the first page - I see now that the discussion has strayed away somewhat/M1)
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2010, 7:16am by Mickey1 » IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #29 on: Sep 30th, 2010, 8:33am »

on Sep 30th, 2010, 7:13am, Mickey1 wrote:
Suppose  

Re: Hawking - that the universe contained only two Earth like planets, Earth being one.
Where would the new number (2=1 known +1 unknown) lead us (and Hawking) in terms of aliens?
It would be less likely; it depends on how likely an earth-like planet is to develop life. If there are many earth-like planets, then even if this probability is low, you'd get a large expected number of aliens, but if there are just two earth-like planets than this reasoning doesn't work.
(On the other hand, considering how early on life sprung up on earth, it might be rather likely that an earth-like planet (at the right distance from its sun, with a large moon, etc) will develop life.)

Quote:
Re: God - that I could prove that I (all) God-believers were wrong in their reasoning about the existence of God .  Would that change anything?
No, because you'd just be ignored (and/or attacked) by most people that don't want their beliefs to be disproven.
(And this isn't limited to people's religious beliefs either.)
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #30 on: May 15th, 2011, 2:27pm »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/may/15/stephen-hawking-interview- there-is-no-heaven
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #31 on: May 15th, 2011, 4:49pm »

Towr,
I like the pic you posted, I'll use it on my blog.

I have 2 questions:

1) What do you think of this media coverage? Does it harm physicists ?

John Lennox, a  professor of Mathematics and a christian, believes that Hawking is wrong

2) How can you be a mathematician, a scientist and a believer at the same time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennox

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1308599/Stephen-Hawking-wrong- You-explain-universe-God.html

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2011, 4:49pm by Benny » IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #32 on: May 16th, 2011, 9:02am »

on May 15th, 2011, 4:49pm, BenVitale wrote:
2) How can you be a mathematician, a scientist and a believer at the same time?
I don't think mathematics has much conflict with religion, they deal with different imaginary realms Wink
And not all fields of science find themselves as conflict with (literalist interpretations) of religion either. The most problematic sciences in that respect are biology, astronomy and geology (and closely related fields); because they directly conflict with religious accounts of creation.

Aside from that, people are very good at deluding themselves and at being inconsistent. ( And this isn't necessarily a bad thing, because it would be terribly stressful to be consistent. Not to mention annoying to others. )
It also "helps" simply not to think too much; I remember an anecdote that (I think) Michael Shermer wrote, about a woman who was convinced she'd been abducted by aliens, and that the aliens stole her unborn baby. Not until he asked her if she had been pregnant at that time, did she notice that inconsistency.
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #33 on: May 16th, 2011, 9:57am »

Science and spirituality operate in entirely different spheres - if you want to know which restaurant in the town centre offers the best value nutrition for your money, then a scientific approach will get you your answer; if you want to know whether you should choose your restaurant based on per-dollar nutrition, or on ecological responsibility, or on how they friendly their staff is, then a scientific approach tends to flounder...

Once you've set your goals and/or priorities, a scientific approach can tell you how best to achieve them, but it's kinda bad at setting goals, except by reference to higher-level goals...
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #34 on: May 16th, 2011, 11:21am »

on May 16th, 2011, 9:57am, rmsgrey wrote:
Once you've set your goals and/or priorities, a scientific approach can tell you how best to achieve them, but it's kinda bad at setting goals, except by reference to higher-level goals...
Are religion and spirituality really so different in that respect? They're also about achieving certain goals, such as eternal life after death, or living a moral life. But you still need to set those goals yourself.  
And on the other side of the argument, it's not outside the bounds of science to be able to tell you what is statistically the most likely approach to live a happy life. Psychology and neuroscience have much to say on it.  
So to me they both seem like a means to an end. Albeit perhaps different kinds of ends.
IP Logged

sahibagupta

« Reply #35 on: Aug 1st, 2011, 2:11am »

Hi

Stephen William Hawking, CH, CBE, FRS, FRSA (born January 8, 1942). is an English theoretical physicist and cosmologist whose career spans over forty scientists years. His books and public appearances have made him an academic celebrity. He is an honorary member of the Royal Society of Arts, a lifetime member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, and in 2009 was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor the United States.
Thanks
spam link removed
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2011, 5:58am by Grimbal » IP Logged
manita23

« Reply #36 on: Jul 20th, 2014, 6:46am »

I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.  

Stephen Hawking's Quotes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »