wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - hotdesking »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:01pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   wanted
(Moderators: william wu, towr, Eigenray, Icarus, Grimbal, SMQ, ThudnBlunder)
   hotdesking
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hotdesking  (Read 2385 times)
simplex

kmit

greatsimplex@yahoo.com  

hotdesking  
« on: Apr 18th, 2005, 11:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all

Is it possible to mathematically work this out.

There are 11 people in my lab-office; we split our time between working in the lab and in the office. The split is anything between 50-50 to 25/75 (or vice-versa). i.e if 50-50 you typically spend 1/2 the time in the lab and rest sitting on a computer. So for 11 people there are 6 computers. ..people walk-in, walk out. Some with a smile if they find a free computer some a bit miffed if it is busy.

I wanna work out - given the above split - what is the minimum number of computers required? A 7th would be good - but how do I justify it?

cheers
sim

PS: Needless to say, the way people walk in-out and split their times is pretty random.

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2005, 12:46pm by simplex » IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: hotdesking  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 2:45pm »

Without some further information about de distribution of the splits, it's hard to say.
In the worst case everyone will still want to use a computer, because the 25-75% they're somewhere else may not come till later.
On average you could say 50% of the people need a computer, so 5.5 (6) is enough.
You could also argue you want one standarddeviation above mean. But we don't know what the standard deviation is, because we don't have the distribution.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
fatball
Senior Riddler

Can anyone help me think outside the box please?

Re: hotdesking  
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15th, 2005, 6:34am »

I think you may formulate the problem as a linear programming model and solve for the minimum number of computers required.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »