wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Request »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 11:14pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   wanted
(Moderators: Icarus, william wu, SMQ, towr, Eigenray, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder)
   Request
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Request  (Read 2199 times)
LisaD

Email

Request  
« on: Sep 19th, 2005, 8:26pm »

Hi,  
I work for a production company in Australia and for a film we're doing we need a guy writing solutions to maths problems. Only I am not a mathematician and have no clue what to write! Would someone be able to post say a page of maths solutions (doesnt matter if it makes sense), it just has to look impressive.  

Thank you very much!  

Lisa
IP Logged
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

Re: Request  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19th, 2005, 9:54pm »

try asking  the maths dept at UNSW, or UQ, or UTas.

COnversely, have a sticky beak at Questacon

Am certain they'll be able to help...
IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 3:06pm »

It would help greatly to have some idea about the background of this mathematician. Who is (s)he, and why is (s)he solving problems? Are these problems on a blackboard, or written out on paper, or on a computer? At what level is (s)he working? Research mathematics, or college?  

If you have someone whose expertise is in theoretical physics, showing him working diophantine equations is not going to make much sense (and this will be recognizable to a larger portion of your audience than you may think). Conversely, if he is an expert in cryptography (codes and security), then it would be ridiculous to show him doing partial differential equations.

Don't blow off the question of whether or not it makes sense in favor of looking "impressive". There are far more people out there who can recognize what the problem is about than you might think, and if you have nonsense down, they will recognize it and completely fail to be impressed (and likely disparrage your efforts to those around who are less well educated).

For some good examples of mathematics in film done right, consider the movies "A Beautiful Mind", and "Good Will Hunting". The mathematics in both of these is both real and appropriate to the situation.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 3:46pm »

Since LisaD has posted this same thread several times in different forums, I have deleted those unreplied, moved the rest to the same forum, and locked all but one thread. Please direct any further replies to that thread.

Please do not do this again!
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »