wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Thomas Hobbes' ideas on todays world »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 1:05am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   wanted
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, towr, william wu, Grimbal, Eigenray, SMQ, Icarus)
   Thomas Hobbes' ideas on todays world
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Thomas Hobbes' ideas on todays world  (Read 12100 times)
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Thomas Hobbes' ideas on todays world  
« on: Feb 14th, 2008, 4:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'd like some input on what ideas Thomas Hobbes might have on todays world; especially of today's politics.  
Why? you ask; because I'm following a course of political philosophy and I'm supposed to make a small (10 min) presentation on it next week, and I haven't the faintest. It's supposed to be a group assignment, but currently the group consists solely of me.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

Re: Thomas Hobbes' ideas on todays world  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 8:12am »

on Feb 14th, 2008, 4:29am, towr wrote:
I'd like some input on what ideas Thomas Hobbes might have on todays world; especially of today's politics.  

Well, to my knowledge, Hobbes was a big fan of a strong central government. Believing that if people were left to each govern themselves individually, they would create a state of "war of all against all". So he would probably approve of the strong central governments demonstrated in many modern countries. However he didn't believe in a seperation of powers, prefering a sovereign government that controls all aspects of the country and abuses of power are to be expected and tolerated to maintain a stabile society.  
My guess is he'd be pleased with the number of strong governments in the world, but displeased with the checks and balances like those in the U.S. Constitution. Hobbes would also presumably like the competition between politicians, the idea being that it promotes stronger candidates, but once elected should keep their positions for life.
I hope you find some inspiration for your speech. If I knew more, I could be more helpful, but unfortunately my knowledge of some political philosophers is a little lacking. Embarassed
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2008, 8:13am by ima1trkpny » IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
Benny
Uberpuzzler

Re: Thomas Hobbes' ideas on todays world  
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20th, 2009, 10:15pm »

This is my first visit to the "Wanted" forum.

I don't like Hobbes' views, but whether we share his views or not, one cannot ignore Hobbes.

I read an article in behavorial sciences where the authors discuss his views on human nature.

And, a couple of years ago when I took few courses in philosophy I wrote an essay question on Hobbes.

According to Hobbes, humans in the state of nature are inherently in a "war of all against all," and that people only leave the state of nature to take part in a community in order to protect their property rights.  

What do you think of Hobbes's Leviathan ?
Is it a desirable place to live?
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2009, 10:16pm by Benny » IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »