wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Difference-between-Formal-and-Informal-English »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:30pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   wanted
(Moderators: SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, towr, william wu, Eigenray, Grimbal)
   Difference-between-Formal-and-Informal-English
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Difference-between-Formal-and-Informal-English  (Read 7828 times)
nitapaul87

Difference-between-Formal-and-Informal-English  
« on: Oct 23rd, 2013, 1:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys  
I'm Nita Paul i would like to get your opinion on  my post about Difference between Formal and Informal English.I'm also writing blog for Leospeak.com.

http://englishabeautifllanguage.quora.com/Difference-between-Formal-and- Informal-English Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2013, 1:18am by nitapaul87 » IP Logged
nitapaul87

Re: Difference-between-Formal-and-Informal-English  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23rd, 2013, 1:16am »

Do check my post on Leospeak blog too I'm a beginner.Google " Leospeak blog "the blog  is just few months old.So please post your reviews.
 Wink
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30th, 2013, 12:33pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2013, 1:09am, nitapaul87 wrote:
Hi guys  
I'm Nita Paul i would like to get your opinion on  my post about Difference between Formal and Informal English.I'm also writing blog for Leospeak.com.

http://englishabeautifllanguage.quora.com/Difference-between-Formal-and- Informal-English Grin
It's not very good English, to be honest.  
There are words missing in places: e.g. "A native speaker might easily pronounce a word that they have never <missing word(s)> but ..."
Punctuation is, let's say, "creative": e.g. "but for a person who is Learning English as a second language; it might be a difficult task" Why is there a semicolon there?
And grammar is not that good either: e.g. "Formal English is commonly used in giving speech, presentation etc."  You can't "give speech", you can either "give a speech" or "give speeches", and I'd opt for any of "used to give", "used for giving", "used when giving" or "used in" in favor of "used in giving".

Additionally, the content is a bit obvious, not specific to English, and lacking in examples.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
louisgarcia

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2013, 10:45pm »

Contracted Forms
Formal - Don't use contracted forms, use the entire auxiliary verb: They have lived in New York for many years.
Informal - Use contracted forms: They've lived in New York for many years.

Relative Structures
Formal - Use relative structures: The woman thought that it was important to be on time.
Informal - Drop certain relative structures: The woman thought it was important to be on time.

The Use of 'Whom'
Formal - Use 'whom' as an object: Whom have they chosen for the position?
Informal - Use 'who' as an object: Who have they chosen for the position?

Auxiliary Verb Usage
Formal - Always use the full form of an auxiliary: Have you finished your work?
Informal - Sometimes the auxiliary verb is dropped in informal speech. Note: This is often grammatically incorrect, but is certainly common in everyday usage: Finished your work?

Word Choice
Formal - Many words tend to be used in more formal situations. For example, certain verbs tend to be used in formal situations, but have other synonyms (often phrasal verbs) that are used in informal situations. Also, it uses more vocabulary derived from French and Latin (bigger words) It uses more synonyms and doesn't repeat the same words as much. The police investigated the situation.
Informal synonym: We looked into the situation.

Passive structures
Formal - It uses more indirect language, making it less personal. The student was given a book.
Informal synonym: We gave the student a book.
IP Logged
jordan

« Reply #4 on: Feb 8th, 2015, 12:08am »

My English teacher said that the most popular language in the World is not English... but the most popular language is broken English Cheesy
IP Logged

My personal fashion blog for hippie and free women Boho and Flower
gitanas

« Reply #5 on: Jun 23rd, 2016, 1:09am »

Jordan, I guess that the most popular language is Chinese English Smiley
IP Logged

Dummy Frog - my blog about interesting and funny things in our World
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Mar 2nd, 2017, 8:20am »

I would guess there are more anglophones in India than in China.  But I don't have any data to support that statement.

PS: Wikipedia thinks so
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_popu lation

On the other hand that page don't think there are so many english-speakers in China.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2017, 8:28am by Grimbal » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »