wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - I have four wings »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 1:04pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what am i
(Moderators: towr, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, william wu, Icarus, Grimbal, SMQ)
   I have four wings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I have four wings  (Read 1494 times)
maryl

Email

I have four wings  
« on: Jun 4th, 2003, 1:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have four wings, but cannot fly, I never laugh and never cry; On the same spot I'm always found, toiling away with little sound. What am I?
IP Logged
Leo Broukhis
Senior Riddler

Re: I have four wings  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 4th, 2003, 2:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I can only think of a windmill. On the other hand, it could be a pair of kiwi birds hatching their eggs.
 Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2003, 3:49pm by Leo Broukhis » IP Logged
maryl

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 4th, 2003, 4:07pm »

on Jun 4th, 2003, 2:58pm, Leonid Broukhis wrote:
I can only think of a windmill. On the other hand, it could be a pair of kiwi birds hatching their eggs.
 Grin

Ya   Smiley
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 4th, 2003, 5:00pm »

I suppose you "Old Country" types might think of that easily. Here on the Great Plains of North America, windmills have lots of "wings", are mostly used for pumping water, not milling, so they do "cry", and if the maintenance is lacking, they definitely don't toil away with "little sound". Heck, with all the tornados we get, you can't even be sure they will always be found on the same spot! Wink
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
maryl

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2003, 1:06pm »

on Jun 4th, 2003, 5:00pm, Icarus wrote:
I suppose you "Old Country" types might think of that easily. Here on the Great Plains of North America, windmills have lots of "wings", are mostly used for pumping water, not milling, so they do "cry", and if the maintenance is lacking, they definitely don't toil away with "little sound". Heck, with all the tornados we get, you can't even be sure they will always be found on the same spot! Wink

Hey, I live on the Great Plains of North America, but not that far removed from remembering what windmills used to look or sound like-I guess that's part of the riddle.
You've got a good point with the tornadoes, I think I'd rather suffer them then the arctic winds and snow up here.
IP Logged
Zeke the Geke

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12th, 2003, 5:26am »

Maybe you should both try the happy in between -- here we have no tornadoes and arctic winds and snow for no more than half the year!  Wink
IP Logged
maryl

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12th, 2003, 6:50am »

Well actually I don't live right on the plains, I guess I just consider it all pretty much the same except for the coasts. And I don't know where you're at Zeke but except for B.C. it gets pretty darn chilly.
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 12th, 2003, 7:33am »

Another place that stays relatively warm year-round is the Niagara/Niagara-on-the-Lake area. It has 'its own climate' due to the Niagara Escarpment.

Good place to go for peaches!
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12th, 2003, 4:05pm »

Kansas is a wonderful place to live! It's far enough north to still be freezing in winter (though you Canadiens would not be impressed), yet in summer it broils hotter on average than those due south (There is a fair stretch in the SW that gets hotter still, but that is the only place in the USA).
It may be flat, but the scenery always changes. Without moving in Kansas, you can see Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and lots of Oklahoma and Texas, depending on which way the wind is blowing. Wink
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Ronin77

« Reply #9 on: Jun 13th, 2003, 6:26am »

Well.. unlike all you guys (or most of you) I live in Australia so its not suprising i dont have a clue about what places you are talking about Roll Eyes.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13th, 2003, 7:58pm »

Take a map of the USA - look at the big part that everyone thinks of when they picture this country (there's also Alaska and Hawaii, but they aren't connected to the rest).

In the very middle of it is a state that would be rectangular if someone hadn't chewed off its NE corner. That's Kansas. Kansas is known best for two things: Wheat - we grow more of it than anywhere else in the world, and airplanes - we build more of them than anybody else in the world.
Kansas is also known for being flat (not entirely true, but our only "mountain" is named so only by legislative fiat - everybody with any sense would call it a low sloping hill).

To the north is another fairly flat farming state called Nebraska. To the east is Missouri, most well known for the Ozark mountains - prime hillbilly country. South is Oklahoma, also mostly given to farming and ranching. This was originally territory set aside for the American Indians to live in, but then people decided they didn't need even this little remnant either.
South of Oklahoma is Texas - a large state most noted for producing hot air. West of Kansas is Colorado - an almost square state noted for its mountains (though the eastern half of the state is actuallly plains).

The Western third of North America is mostly mountainous. A very large widespread mountain chain, called the Rockies, extends from the northern reaches of Canada down all the way into Mexico. To the east of the Rockies along its entire extend is a vast region of plains and prairie, called the "Great Plains", and once called the "Great American Desert", because it is considerably drier than the regions in the eastern part of North America that people were used to (very little of the great plains actually qualifies as desert).

Another thing notable about the plains is their wind. The middle plains, which I live on the edge of, are one of the windest large regions of the world (there are lots of small places that are windier - though Chicago, "the windy city", is not amongst them: about everywhere on the plains is windier than Chicago).

B.C., that Maryl mentioned, is British Columbia, in Canada. It is the western-most Province (here in the US, we have states, but Canadiens prefer provinces) in the southern part of Canada. It includes the Pacific coast and a good section inland (including most of the northern Rockies). We were all set to go to war with Canada to get it about 160 years ago, but decided to fight with Mexico over Texas instead (its amazing how a decision that makes so much sense at the time can prove to be so bad later Wink).

The Niagara region lies along the St. Lawrence river as it flows between the Great Lakes (yes I admit, I don't recall which two lakes it's between). If you don't know where they are, you should sue your local school board for gross negligence.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »