wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - The online Riddle. »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:03am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what am i
(Moderators: Eigenray, william wu, Grimbal, SMQ, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, towr)
   The online Riddle.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The online Riddle.  (Read 4849 times)
Yvon

The online Riddle.  
« on: Feb 14th, 2007, 6:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is a tough one, your guess is as good as mine.
Try to get this one in under 25 hours and i'll give you a cookie!!

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/479/puzzleht9.gif

btw the hint givin by the maker of this says it's simpler then it seems, if that helps. GOOD LUCK!
IP Logged
Yvon

Re: The online Riddle.  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14th, 2007, 7:41pm »

hmm i've been working really hard on this one for about a day i wonder if someone can answer this it's just killing me
IP Logged
thecow135

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 6:32pm »

what do the lines and dot havta do with it? is it morse code?
IP Logged

cuz everybody noe that the game dont stop try to make it to the top fo ur ass get popped
Yvon

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 8:12pm »

good question figure it out. I dont even know
IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 7:58am »

There is a thread with 50+ pages going on for 1/2 year, they still haven't found out.

2 interesting remarks:
- the number of dots between the slashes is always 4 or 8.
- if you count the dots and take _ to mean zero, you get something that looks like a date
......../... ./..__......  -> 8/31/2006
which is about when the thing started.
IP Logged
Yvon

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 12:33pm »

ya i know i can't figure it out though i've read that and alot of other stuff. you guys need to think outside the box

i mean cmon if you guys can'[t crack then who the hell can honestly
IP Logged
Yvon

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 1:00pm »

alright guys i think the top is a Date, and the bottom is a word

someone was showen the answer and they said this in irc

<LadyCrimson> I saw the step by step, line by line
<Mirko> that's the problem with it
<Mirko> yes ofcourse you did
<Mirko> he probably showed you
<LadyCrimson> how each line figures into the answer
<LadyCrimson> LOL
<LadyCrimson> yup

Mirko> lady crimson did he show you how to complete it?
<LadyCrimson> yes
<LadyCrimson> line by line

someone please solve this omg...im going crazy
IP Logged
raven
Senior Riddler

"Why is a raven like a writing desk?"   ~M. Hatter

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 1:19pm »

Gee, I don't solve riddles on other forums...this is my one-stop riddling home.
IP Logged
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 1:26pm »

on Feb 16th, 2007, 1:00pm, Yvon wrote:
someone please solve this omg...im going crazy

It's been out in the wild for months; it's been posted here for two days; give us a little time, eh?

[Edit] For what it's worth, the two original sources appear to be here and here. [/Edit]

--SMQ
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2007, 1:30pm by SMQ » IP Logged

--SMQ

raven
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 2:12pm »

I don't know if I will try to work on this puzzle. Since IF it is poorly constructed and the poster doesn't visit this forum, I may never know if I solved it no matter what efforts I give it...but here's a repost just for fun:

Here I changed the underscores (_) to hyphens (-) for readability, I changed the end boxes to brackets ([]) for simplicity, and I changed the forward slashes to pipes (|) for the YABB CGI handling issues...

........| ... .| ..--......| .--.. ..-...--[]
. . . . . . . .| -.... . ...| .... ....| ........[]
....| . .......| ..--..| .--...----[]
-------....| .-.. .| ........-| ........

Second in Aqua, but reverse.
Just like each word except the last character.
Just like end without the fifth.
........?:

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2007, 2:12pm by raven » IP Logged
Yvon

« Reply #10 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 3:08pm »

it's not my one stop shop by any means i've spent countless hours and im reaching for straws here im geetting it looked at by alot of people at my school who are stumped, im goign to probably hand it to a few professors at my school to help me decypher it, so honestly im here to gain knowledge and the truth behind this thing plagueing my mind
IP Logged
Yvon

« Reply #11 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 3:09pm »

BTW if you have an answer give it to me i'll enter into this game thing and i'll tell you if it's correct, PLEASE work on this puzzle
IP Logged
raven
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 12:05pm »

Yvon, If you are still monitoring this thread, this is a riddle from a video game...can you tell me what the name of the game is, what the storyline is, is this a Pokemon game, and any other background info that might give us clues as to possible nature of the answer to this riddle? I'm not really interested in doing this research, or reading the entire thread from the other site...

Also, have you tried Grimbal's answer of: 8/31/2006?

Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2007, 1:30pm by raven » IP Logged
Yvon

« Reply #13 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 2:37pm »

dude it's a stand alone riddle doesn't matter where the riddle is from trust me. no the date did not work im guessing no one here can solve it because it's been about 4 days now and no one has really attempted to answer it at all, so i guess some 16 year odl kid who made this is smarter then you all

if you wan tot prive your smarter then that 16 year old give this your best try, i will be giving you a prize for helping me out, Invites to iptorrents, demonoid, oink's for music and a few others i'llg ive you all my invites i coudl care less, i just want to solve this
IP Logged
raven
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 4:31pm »

Relax man, sure some sixteen year old might solve this, or one of us, or a sixteen year old one of us, or none of the above...who knows. I'm here for the enjoyment I get out of making and solving riddles, so you're not going to be able to get my hackles up with a juvenile challenge like the above...that doesn't mean I or one of the wu forum master riddlers wont be solving it...just in our own time, not necessarily yours...of course--if you're in such a monster hurry--feel free to go ahead and solve it yourself right now if you want.

Just out of curiosity, what is the prize/reward that ASayre is giving out to who ever solves this riddle?

And BTW, I have been looking at this riddle, and while I have NOT read all 60 pages at uodemise.com on this topic, I have already thought of at least one concept that I have not seen or heard discussed, on the several dozen pages and several other web sites I've reviewed on this topic, already.

Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2007, 4:35pm by raven » IP Logged
raven
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 5:51pm »

Alright Yvon, I have no real conviction in these extrapolated guesses, but if you're willing to make a couple entries on my behalf--you do have access to the entry form field I'm assuming, and not just passing these attempts to someone else--then plug these in and see if anything happens:

undine
unbind
unwind
ground

If you are just passing these along to someone else, then you don't have to pass these along...Meanwhile, I will keep trying to crack the code.

Roll Eyes

edit: I removed the capitalized versions--supposedly the answer is case-insensitive.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2007, 11:44am by raven » IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 12:52am »

on Feb 18th, 2007, 2:37pm, Yvon wrote:
so i guess some 16 year odl kid who made this is smarter then you all
Making a riddle no one can solve does not require much intelligence. I could pick a random prime and encode a message, and you'd have one hell of a time decoding it because you wouldn't know which prime I chose. It's a real asymmetry in effort.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
raven
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 11:41am »

towr, I think Yvon is saying that a sixteen year old kid will solve this riddle before one of us does...although I would not be surprised if ASayre--the person who devised this riddle--is also a sixteen year old kid.

I do agree with your sentiment though, as one of the posters on the main forum trying to solve this stated:

Quote:
I can make sense out of some Albert Einstein and Steven Hawking theories after I read about them, know the answers, and look back in hind sight. But Albert is dead and when I e-mailed Steven this Rizzle he said - fo Pizzle Dizzle the Rizzle is Bull Shizzle.
I think this Riddle is a great idea. I just cant think of any other approach to take.
reference

I believe he was trying to say the same thing.  Grin
IP Logged
raven
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 12:23pm »

Currently, I have had no success with the .__.. .._...__ stuff.
My best efforts on the plain English section is as follows:

Hint: do not over think the riddle
Hint: solve this line-by-line

Second in Aqua, but reverse.
Second in "Aqua" could be "q" but reversed could be "p|g|b|d"
 --or--
"Aqua" could be reversed "auqA", and the second would be "u"
 --or--
"Aqua" could be a reference to something (Mac OSX GUI), --or-- an Abbrev. for 'aquatic', 'aquamarine', etc. --or-- a color: 'greenish-blue', etc, --or-- as some suggested 'water', 'liquid', 'H2O' (the second would be 2 and reversed would be 'S')... but I think these last possibilities all contradict the first hint above.

Just like each word except the last character.
"each word" could be referring to each word of this riddle --or-- each word of the deciphered .__.. .._...__ stuff --or-- as some suggest "each"... but I'm not convinced with these suggestions...
 --or--
Just like "each word" except the last character. "d" (possibly "h" and "d"), so "each wor" or "eac wor"

Just like end without the fifth.
in the same vein as using the words in the riddle itself, this would be "end" and as some suggest, "e" is the fifth letter of the alphabet
 --or--  
repeating the letters 1e 2n 3d 4e 5n would be "n" --or-- "end" would suggest 'finish', 'death', etc... but I don't believe so...  

This gives us a final composite answer of something like this:

p+each wor+nd
but we already know that the last character is/was "d", so maybe:
p+each wor+n
or if we also drop the "h" on "each" we have:
p+eac wor+n --or-- p+eac wor+nd
but the riddle didn't say to drop the last character, it said 'except the last character', so this could leave us with a mystery character:
p+each wor_+n   --or--   p+each + wor_+nd -  -or--   p+eac_ wor+n  --or--   p+eac_ wor+nd, etc...

So without having access to the form entry field to test these answers, I would say the best guess is:
peach worn or peace worn or beach worn or ...etc.
...or something on those lines.
peace worn almost makes sense.

Tongue
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2007, 12:38pm by raven » IP Logged
Yvon

« Reply #19 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 8:05pm »

tried all your suggestions to be the answer and yes i can enter the answer into the game.  it's unlimited the number of tries one cna make so gimme a TON of answers i'll try them all  ofcourse make sure it makes sense and guys keep breaking it
IP Logged
Yvon

« Reply #20 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:25pm »

bump cmon you call your selves good at riddles??
IP Logged
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Uberpuzzler

Sorry Goose, it's time to buzz a tower.

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:39pm »

Yet another descent into insults...

In the time I've been posting to this forum, I have not once seen someone claim to be good at riddles.  Also, as several others have already mentioned, it is much more difficult to make an impossible riddle than a difficult one.  Even so, in my opinion, this riddle is most likely a joke someone is playing on the online community, not telling anyone the answer and watching people like you drive people like me crazy.

I've stayed out of this one so far and I'm not planning on putting much more into it.
IP Logged

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #22 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:18am »

I don't think that was meant as insult, but more an attempt at rousing people into action again..

However, without having the answer, I think it will prove nigh impossible to find out how the riddle fits the answer. It's like a one-way encryption.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
raven
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:44pm »

I would like to mention that the creator of this riddle-puzzle-rizzle is 18 years old, and the riddle is part of an online role-play campaign. That said, I was an avid role-play gamer at 18 (ridiculously so) and in some ways much more creative than I am now--so, IMO, age isn't necessarily a factor of creativity, unless it is has an inverse influence. However, age often plays a role in maturity and understanding what is viable vs. what is impossible. So far nobody, out of no less than 30 people, has been able to solve this riddle in no less than 6 months and 61 pages [here]...this does not make this riddle 'good', nor does this make this riddle 'impossible', I might suggest, IMO, that this does make this riddle 'ridiculously difficult' and it is worthy of note that the creator is getting great joy and much gloating out of watching people struggle trying to solve it...it is very easy to be smug when you are sitting on the answer.

Since I have no personal investment in solving this riddle, and I have no assurance it is even solvable, since the creator of this riddle has earned no credibility with me as someone who makes solvable riddles...the amount of energy I'm willing to put into this is limited. It has been mentioned that people who have been shown the answer, and 'walked through' how to solve this riddle, say "it makes sense"...that provides little credence to its solve-ability, for reasons already mentioned in this thread and elsewhere. Likewise, if I do solve this riddle, and I know I have the correct answer, and Yvon keeps goading us, I might just shop around for the highest bidder for my answer before I post it here...

Grin

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:48pm by raven » IP Logged
raven
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 1:19pm »

On a riddle-solving note, there has been much debate if the dot-underscore-forwardslash stuff is Morse code. Most people who investigate this line to any depth strongly refute this possibility. But they also state the length of characters (element-codes) of the riddle elements as too long, as their major reason why it is not Morse code.

If you look deeply into Morse code, you will find that it has been extended in many directions for many purposes, such as musical notation (with up to seven-element codes [link]) and prosigns which combine mulitple element-codes to create a 'Morse code word', such as the familiar:

···---···
  S O S
  [link]

Also worth mentioning, in Morse code, eight (or more, but  usually eight) dots in a row means to erase or disregard the previous data... It's like the backspace on your keyboard.

The other reason people state this can not be Morse code is the use of the forward slash notation. This is actually not an uncommon notation for writing Morse code:

-- --- ·-· ··· ·   / -·-· --- -·· ·
  M  O   R   S   E  (space) C    O   D   E
  [link]

of course it has no place when using it in real applications.

In short, I wouldn't be so quick to rule this out as a possibility, especially since ASayre states that the coded stuff is simple and solvable outside of the context of the role-play game and all other information given. Morse code seems to readily fit this hint and the coded stuff is deeply obscure otherwise, which contradicts this hint.

Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »