Re: What to call "Econ-Libertarians"?

Robin Hanson (hanson@econ.berkeley.edu)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 13:30:08 -0700

Paul Torelli wrote:

> ... "econ-libertarian" ... might be a bit too restrictive.  There are
> some--perhaps
> many--libertarians who prefer to defend their beliefs on generally
> utilitarian grounds.  Of course, "econ-libertarians" fall under that
> category, but there are also others who are not very knowledgeable about
> economics who might fall under that category as well--for example,
> people who are familiar with history and the state's role is producing
> human misery over the centuries.  So a phrase like "utili-libertarian" ...

"Consequential libertarians" would be broader still, describing people who
like the consquences of liberty.  "Utili-'" bothers me because I'm not clear
that everyone who uses it means to evaluate consequences from the point of
view of the people effected.   "Subjective Utili-" would be clearer, but is
a bit ponderous.

--

Robin Hanson
hanson@econ.berkeley.edu    http://hanson.berkeley.edu/