Re: Government Radio Propaganda

George J. Lee (gjlee@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
04 Nov 1997 21:59:59 -0800

Kevin Dempsey Peterson <kevin@cafe.berkeley.edu> writes:

> I heard the radio commecial last night.  It says something like
> "sitting in a smokey room for 2 hours is just like smoking 4
> cigaretes, and did you know that that smoke is 20 times worse than
> what smokers get?"  "Really?"  "Yeah, it's not filtered"

I think another factor we must consider is that smokers are trying to
inhale the smoke, while non-smokers are trying not to inhale it. A
smoker purposely fills his lungs with hot, concentrated smoke; this
causes much more damage to the lungs than a non-smoker who is only
breathing in diluted smoke.

> This might be correct, if by chance cigarette filters did anything,
> and if the smokers put on gas masks between puffs.
>
> Payed for by your tax dollars.

What's the estimate on how much the gov't takes from each person a
year? About 50%? That's bad enough, but they take so much more
indirectly. For example, the extra money people would have to spend
could be invested in the stock market, which is experiencing an
incredible bull market. At the current rate of increase, someone could
easily double his (or her, of course) money in as little as 5 or 6
years.

George
InvestSmart
http://library.advanced.org/10326/