Re: Information sheet thingie

Seth David Schoen (schoen@uclink4.Berkeley.EDU)
18 Dec 1997 10:20:29 GMT

Kevin Dempsey Peterson writes:

>Oh, yeah.  I didn't want to mention the anti-democracy protest because
>it would take a long time to explain why we don't like democracy and
>what we have to replace it.

Good point.

>Incidentally, I'd love to know what can totally replace it.  I'd like
>to see extreme restrictions on democracy, like a 75% majority to pass
>any law, and a more plainly worded constitution that can't be
>misinterpretted.  (Although, "the right of the people to keep and bear
>arms shall not be infringed" is pretty damn clear to me)  I'm thinking
>along the lines of a layered system of laws, where one set, that can
>only be changed by *extreme* difficulty outlines how the second set is
>changed.  The second set, which can be changed with about the
>difficulty of our current constitution, outlines what government
>agencies there are.  The first set limits some powers, and says that
>other powers may be granted in the second set.  The third set is done
>by a legislature, and is just normal criminal and bureaucratic law
>(with 75% majority).  The second set of laws would specify that a bill
>presented to the legislature must do only one thing and so on.

We should really have a game of Nomic.  Maybe I'll bring it up at the
next CalLib meeting.

>But, even if you limit it, it's still democracy.

Incidentally, your proposed changes (which I snipped) move closer to
direct democracy structually, but perhaps not procedurally.  They do
create a presumption against any new law, which doesn't exist now, which
might be the main libertarian thing in favor of your changes.

--
   Seth David Schoen L&S '01 (undeclared) / schoen@uclink4.berkeley.edu
Magna dis immortalibus habenda est atque huic ipsi Iovi Statori, antiquissimo