Re: Down with Democracy!

George J. Lee (gjlee@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
16 Dec 1997 01:42:09 -0800

"Daniel C. Burton" <dburton@ocf.berkeley.edu> writes:

> I think we should have an anti-democracy protest next semester.  People
> who actually believe in government can just protest unlimited democracy,
> and people like me can go all-out and promote anarchy.  We can have a
> little democarcy efficy on a hangman's noose.

Sounds fantastic. Let's do it. Hmm.... I'm not sure whether I'm an
anarchist or not. On the one hand, having multiple defense
organizations and different court systems to choose from has its
advantages, but I have some doubts about how well an anarchy will
stand up against other countries and other governments. How well would
it prevent a dictator from assembling an army and trying to take over
your anarchy? How long could anarchy exist before some people
establish governments?

--
George J. Lee

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence. It is force. Like fire,
it is a dangerous servant and a fearsome master." --George Washington