Re: Down with Democracy!

Seth David Schoen (schoen@uclink4.Berkeley.EDU)
17 Dec 1997 03:57:28 GMT

Daniel C. Burton writes:

>Sure, we could invite some left-anarchists (though it would probably serve
>us better to try to recruit the "fuck everything" variety and some
>objectivists first).

Of course, a lot of "fuck everything" anarchists are not concerned with
basic rights or with freedom -- at least, not for anyone but themselves.
So sometimes there can be substantial disagreements there.

(I agree with the left anarchists much more than with the "fuck everything"
anarchists.)

And few objectivists are anarchists, although most of them also have strong
objections to government.

>We should let anyone participate as long as they
>agree with our basic premises and they're willing to let us promote our
>organization.  Then we should just let everyone add their own ideological
>spin to the basic message.
>
>There are a few points I think they should all agree on:
>
>1. Democratic rule can be a bad thing.
>2. Basic liberties should not be subject to the opinion of the majority.
>3. A limited republic with checks against democracy is better than pure
>democracy.  (In my opinion, the most important of these checks is that
>powers are enacted locally and limited nationally.)

I guess these are appropriate principles.

>I don't think we have to worry about begin outnumbered by any particular
>other ideological group, because there are a bunch of anarcho-capitalists
>in the BLU and outside the Cal Libertarians who would probably be
>interested in participating, but even if we were, it would still be cool.
>We would still be the sponsoring organization, and I've never seen
>anything like that here at Cal before.  I'd say we should just go and get
>as many people as we can.  Any protest where people can hoestly hold up
>anarchy signs would be invariable cool.

Yes, absolutely.  It will be a lot of fun.

--
   Seth David Schoen L&S '01 (undeclared) / schoen@uclink4.berkeley.edu
Magna dis immortalibus habenda est atque huic ipsi Iovi Statori, antiquissimo