Re: Constitution requirements and deploring them

Seth David Schoen (schoen@uclink4.Berkeley.EDU)
4 Feb 1998 02:51:36 GMT

Seth David Schoen writes:

>I went to SAS today for another reason and picked up their sheet on how to
>write a Constitution for a recognized group.

The ASUC _Activity Group Handbook_ has slightly different wording.  In fact,
it might be technically incompatible with the SAS guide.

The ASUC guide comes closer to suggesting that these provisions have to be
word-for-word; it says "the following statements are required".

However, if they're serious about that meaning "literally", then

(1) Their requirements conflict with the SAS requirements;
(2) No actual organizations are in compliance;
(3) They ask us to make a meaningless statement, because there is apparently
no longer any such thing as the California Administrative Code.  The
prohibition of hazing is found in the California Education Code.

So I think probably the ASUC doesn't have much standing to insist upon
literal statements either.

--
   Seth David Schoen L&S '01 (undeclared) / schoen@uclink4.berkeley.edu
Magna dis immortalibus habenda est atque huic ipsi Iovi Statori, antiquissimo