Re: privledged

George J. Lee (gjlee@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
26 Feb 1998 19:03:24 -0800

"Daniel C. Burton" <dan@antispam.autobahn.org> writes:

> Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with the Cal
> Libertarians.  Unfortunately, you seem to misrepresent what Libertarians
> stand for.
>
> Many of my best friends live in places like the Mission District or East
> Oakland, so of all the Cal Libertarians I probably have the most firsthand
> knowledge of the conditions in these neighborhoods.  I have seen the crack
> addicts hanging out on corners and seen the effects of the stress people
> are under, and believe me, I know it is real.
>
> However, government has done far more to create these conditions than it
> has done to eliminate them.  The poor and minorities have reason to feel
> oppressed; they are being oppressed -- by the government.

I think it's very important to let people know that government
programs not only do not help the poor; they actually harm them. This
is a very common misconception and your piece here does a good job of
explaining the issue. Ruwart addresses this in more depth in "Healing
Our World".

We should try to plan an event showing the failure of government to
effectively aid the poor; that will open many people's eyes to the
true nature of welfare and the minimum wage.

George