Re: LP Press Release: Jerry Springer

Daniel C. Burton (dan@autobahn.org)
17 Mar 1998 21:01:58 GMT

I received this letter, so I guess the Libertarian Party isn't slipping to
the right....
----------
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:37:52 -0500
From: George Getz <76214.3676@compuserve.com>
Subject: Jerry Springer release
Sender: George Getz <76214.3676@compuserve.com>
To: Daniel Burton <dan@autobahn.org>

Dear Dan:

Recently the national LP sent out a press release opposing federal
subsidies for close-captioning the Jerry Springer show that has caused some
concern among our members, and we would like to clarify our position.

The central point of the release was that Libertarians object to the
government forcing taxpayers to finance television shows that millions of
Americans consider to be offensive -- in this case, the Jerry Springer
show.

Unfortunately, some of the phrasing in release left readers with the
impression that we were making a moral judgment on the type of behavior
depicted on the show. That was certainly not our intent, and we apologize
to those who were offended.

Our intention was for the Libertarian Party to criticize the subsidies for
the show -- and the subsidies only -- and leave judgments about content to
the television critics.

For example, the fifth paragraph said:  "Libertarians are fervent
supporters of free speech, so we don't object to such programs being
broadcast," said Dasbach. "We do object to the federal government forcing
taxpayers to underwrite what millions of Americans consider to be extremely
offensive material."

Nevertheless, in other parts of the release we simply were not vigilant
enough in making the point that our party declines, as a matter of
principle, to pass moral judgment on anyone's lifestyle. As a result, many
readers understandably were left with the wrong impression. The fault was
ours, and we will be more sensitive in the future.

Sincerely,

George Getz
Press Secretary
Libertarian Party