Re: LP Press Release: Jerry Springer

Seth David Schoen (schoen@uclink4.Berkeley.EDU)
18 Mar 1998 01:35:57 GMT

Daniel C. Burton writes:

[George Getz writes]

>Unfortunately, some of the phrasing in release left readers with the
>impression that we were making a moral judgment on the type of behavior
>depicted on the show. That was certainly not our intent, and we apologize
>to those who were offended.
>
>Nevertheless, in other parts of the release we simply were not vigilant
>enough in making the point that our party declines, as a matter of
>principle, to pass moral judgment on anyone's lifestyle. As a result, many
>readers understandably were left with the wrong impression. The fault was
>ours, and we will be more sensitive in the future.

That's impressive.  I'm glad they have taken the concerns seriously.

If the LP doesn't want to get seen as a traditional left or right party,
it will be important for it to avoid writing press releases like that
which seem to cater to certain other parties' followers.

--
   Seth David Schoen L&S '01 (undeclared) / schoen@uclink4.berkeley.edu
Magna dis immortalibus habenda est atque huic ipsi Iovi Statori, antiquissimo