Hello 👋, I'm Linus.
I'm a computer science student at University of California, Berkeley, and I love working on meaningful design and software projects in and for startups.
If you're curious about what I do, start with this recent blog post, about communities, missions, and student entrepreneurs.
What I'm up to now
This summer, I'm joining Repl.it as a software engineering intern, working on user interfaces and UI infrastructure for one of the best places online to learn and experiment with programming.
During the semesters, I'm ...
- an Investment Partner on Dorm Room Fund's San Francisco team, connecting the best student startups in the Bay Area with fellow founders, investors, mentors, and seed funding.
- a Director at Cal Hacks, UC Berkeley's hackathon and the largest collegiate hackathon in the world with over 2000 students and companies in attendance every year. I also spearhead the Cal Hacks Fellowship program, a 12-week startup accelerator for teams and hacks from Cal Hacks in partnership with VCs and entrepreneurship organizations in the city.
- a Community Manager at CatalistX, which runs BearX, a portal for entrepreneurs, students, and the Berkeley community around Cal's startup ecosystem.
- Teaching Assistant at UC Berkeley's Web Design DeCal, a student-run course on the art and methodologies of web design, and the React DeCal, covering the fundamentals of building engaging and maintainable user interfaces on the web.
- Working on a fast, tiny virtual DOM-based UI library for web applications, called Torus, and a code annotation tool called Litterate.
- Tutoring for computer science courses at UC Berkeley, currently just for CS 61A, Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. You can find more information about that at this microsite.
I'm in lots of places, almost always as @thesephist, and I check most of these on at least a weekly basis.
- These days, I share most of my writing on Medium @thesephist.
- My more high-frequency thoughts are drip-fed to the rest of Internet on Twitter @thesephist.
- I really don't use Instagram (@thesephist) for anything important or notable, but I am there, if you want to connect there.
- I'm also on Facebook (thesephist), for whatever that counts.
- Lastly, if you're looking for my LinkedIn /thesephist, you can connect with me there, though I check it only once in a while.
If you'd like to reach out to me, please feel free to message or mention me on any of these platforms above. I'll try to get back to you in a reasonable timeframe. If you really must use email, you can also reach me at l7 [at] berkeley.edu.
What I've done so far
I don't really have a portfolio handy, but you can check out an informal, comprehensive list of my personal projects going back to 2013 on my archive of projects, with topics ranging from theoretical physics to music and design to writing, linguistics, software, startups, poetry, and teaching.
What I'm doing next
Each year, I set 8-10 concrete goals to work towards. You can find my goals for 2019 here, on my Medium.
You can download a copy of my resume here. You can also check out a Markdown file of past experiences and skills, which contains the same information. My GitHub and Behance may also be useful.
- Linus 🚀