Hummingbird Duo Classroom Kit is designed to encourage engineering and robotics activities for ages 13 and up via making robots, kinetic sculptures and animatronics built out of a combination of kit parts and crafting materials. The kit is compatible with easy-to-use software environments like Scratch, Snap!, and the CREATE Lab Visual Programmer, and Arbublock. The Hummingbird Duo introduces students to robotics and engineering or it can provide new challenges with programming in the Arduino environment, Python, Java, and Processing, and by supporting Raspberry Pi.
LEVEL: Beginner to Expert
Ages: 13 and up
- CMU CREATE lab: ages 8+
- Scratch 2.0: ages 10+
- Snap: ages 10+
- Arduino: age varies
- The Hummingbird Duo controller supports Arduino mode, allowing tetherless operation.
- Humminbird Duo connectors and parts are color-coded by function.
- All parts have braided wires with tinned, solid ends that do not fray.
- Gear motors, sound sensor, and vibration motors have been redesigned to improve robustness.
- Sound and distance sensors have improved sensitivity.
- Kits include both wheels and adapters for use with Lego gears.
- The screwdriver was replaced by a plastic terminal tool to reduce the risk of damage to the board.