Friendship Prime GeneratorClick on one of the two links below to download a compressed (zipped or gzipped) directory that holds the files necessary to generate web surveys designed to prime one type of friendship versus another. Once you download and uncompress the files, you will find a README.txt file that describes how to use the script.
You will need a Linux or other unix-based computer (e.g., Mac OSX) with a Perl interpreter to run this script. If you would like to to tweak the script or its components, then you will need experience programming in Perl 5.8. Sorry, but there is no available version for Windows, but almost all academic institutions provide access to a unix-based programming environment for their faculty, students, and staff with Perl already installed. Perl comes native on Mac OSX.
Please feel free to email Elizabeth Page-Gould if you have questions about this script. Download one of the following (depending on whether you use Zip to GZip to handle your files). The contents of the two files are identical:
- Uncompress the file
- Go into the new 'generateFriendshipPrimes' directory that appears
- Open the README.txt file to learn how to use the script
- Used to create idiographic stimuli in ...
- Page-Gould, E., Mendoza-Denton, R., Alegre, J. M., Siy, J. O. (under review). Understanding the impact of cross-group friendship on interactions with novel outgroup members.
- Stimuli within the primes drawn from ...
- Primary Friendship Accessibility Question Drawn From: Wright, J. C., &. Mischel, W. (1988). Conditional hedges and the intuitive psychology of traits. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 55, 454 - 469.
- Pictorial IOS Circles Based on: Aron, A., Aron, E. N., & Smollan, D. (1992). Inclusion of other in self scale and the structure of interpersonal closeness. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 63, 596 - 612.