Cal Rotaract is excited to present: PURPLE PINKIE WEEK!
This will be a week that is themed just for achieving the goal of our Polio Plus’s Committee: to eradicate Polio!
When Rotary declared their international goal of eliminating Polio completely, they would mark the pinkies of those who have already been vaccinated with Violet Gentian Dye, an anti-fungal dye, so that they would not use multiple vaccines on the same person. We are not vaccinating people from Polio, but marking their pinkies in the same fashion as to raise awareness about Polio. These facts include:
– Polio is only left in four countries: Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nigeria, India
– Polio is incurable and the best treatment is prevention
– vaccines only cost $0.60 and only one vaccine per person is needed to immunize
– it can cause paralysis or other motor problems and has been historically the world’s greatest cause of disability
For more information about Polio Plus and other world efforts to end Polio visit our Polio Plus page at http://calrotaract.org/?page_id=226.
PURPLE PINKIE WEEK INCLUDES:
– Raising Awareness of Polio: All of the club officers as well as the Polio Plus committee members will be on Sproul the WHOLE WEEK to get word about Polio out! Look out for our signs and flyers and us tabling!
– Fundraising for Vaccines: Throughout the week we will be selling awesome lapel pins and baked goods on Upper Sproul in order to raise money to purchase vaccines that will be distributed to save the lives in the few remaining countries that Polio is still endemic. We’re also letting people know that donating can be as easy as texting 90999—which will make a one-time $5 donation to PolioPlus. Come get some tasty snacks or a cool pin and raise awareness all at once!
WHAT YOU CAN DO
– To those interested, we can really use help with any of the following activities:
- – holding signs on Sproul
- – selling pins and baked goods
- – dyeing peoples pinkies
- – tabling
- – passing out flyers
Your help will be great appreciated
– If you can’t volunteer your services, then just come out and buy a pin or baked good to help support the cause!
– Lastly and the easiest of them all: WEAR PURPLE – ALL WEEK – to help raise awareness about Polio and the international effor to end it!
- WHEN: 10-2pm, April 6-10
- WHERE: Upper Sproul
- ATTIRE: Purple!
- CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to see what you can do to end Polio!