Difference between revisions of "Summer 2014 Final"

From CS 61A Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][unchecked revision]
(Practice Problems)
Line 119: Line 119:
== Practice Problems ==
== Practice Problems ==
Start with the ones from the [[Past exams]]
Start with the ones from from [[Exam 1]] and [[Exam 2]]. We'll add more soon.
== How to study ==
== How to study ==

Revision as of 09:58, 10 August 2014


Changes from Exam 2 are in bold.

2050 VLSB, 5pm - 8pm on Thursday, August, 14 2014. There will be exactly one alternate exam on Friday.


  • pencil and eraser
  • three front and back 8.5x11" cheatsheets (the idea is you bring your old cheatsheets and one new one)
  • a copy of The Rules
    • You can write on your copy of The Rules (8.5x11"), giving you 4 cheatsheets total.

Don't bring

  • Any sort of electronics
    • Cell phones are okay, but must be turned off for the duration of the exam


The Final is cummulative and will test the material from weeks 1-7. We expect about 75% (or 60 points) of the exam to focus on the first 6 weeks of class (exam 1 and 2 material). The remaining 25% (20 points) will focus on the material after Exam 2. This includes:

Final Exam Topics
Tail Recursion
Logic Programming

Topics for Exam 2 (fair game)

Exam 2 Topics
nonlocal and functions using nonlocal
Mutable Python data structures and functions on them (List, Dictionary)
Environment diagrams on the above
Object Oriented Programming
Interfaces and 'Magic' methods
Linked Lists (Known as Rlists in previous semesters)
(Mutable) Trees (the kind with datum and children attributes)
Binary Trees (the kind with entry, left, and right)
Iterators, Iterables and Generators
Generic functions

Topics from Exam 1 (fair game)

Exam 1 Topics
Python Basics
Higher-order functions and Lambda expressions
Linked lists (ignore tuples and OOP); Also known as rlists in other semesters.
Tree Recursion
Environments / Environment diagrams (Note that our Env. Diagrams are compatible with Fall 2012 and onward.)
Abstract data types
Trees (We haven't covered BSTs or Trees in Scheme)
Deep lists
Orders of growth
Newton's method
Halting problem (Extra Credit)

Other skills


  • Draw Box and pointer diagrams for mutable data structures
  • Drawing Environment diagrams with nonlocal
  • Reading the problem critically/figuring out what the problem is asking
  • Understanding doctests
  • Designing classes for Object Oriented Programming problems

All the skills from Exam 1 still apply:

  • Identifying the Operator and Operands
  • Drawing Function Boxes
  • Identifying Domain and Range
  • Drawing Box and Pointers
  • Environment Diagrams
  • Identifying the Theta of a function

Practice Problems

Start with the ones from from Exam 1 and Exam 2. We'll add more soon.

How to study

Here is an old algorithm for studying for tests:
For each topic on the exam, find problems on them and do them.
 If you can solve them on your own, move on.
 Else if you are stuck, look at the solution and figure out if you
 are missing a trick or if you do not understand the concepts.
   If the problem is that you are stuck on some random trick,
     just learn the trick.
       Stare at the solutions, ask Piazza, your TA, etc.
   Questions you should ask at this stage:
     What is the problem asking me to do?
     How was I suppose to follow the instructions
       to solve the problem?
     What part of the problem do I not understand?
     What is the fastest way to clear up that misunderstanding?
  Then if you think you are still stuck conceptually, review
  and learn the concept, however you learn best.

  Suggestions for picking up concepts quickly (~1-2 hours):
    Discussion notes typically have a very concise recap of the
      thing they are going over.
    There are guides for particularly tricky things on the wiki,
      like Hanoi, powerset, etc.
      Find them and go over them.
    Ask a TA: "what is the best way to learn X?"
    If these do not work and you are still shaky after an hour
    or two, it might be worth watching a lecture or reading
    the notes. Be sure to try out some more problems as you're learning!