wu :: forums
wu :: forums - airplane riddle

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 25th, 2018, 7:43am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: towr, Eigenray, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, william wu, SMQ)
   airplane riddle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: airplane riddle  (Read 8607 times)
benmartorano
Newbie
*





   
WWW

Posts: 48
airplane riddle  
« on: Oct 5th, 2012, 3:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

People are waiting in line to board a 100-seat airplane. Steve is the first person in the line. He gets on the plane but suddenly can't remember what his seat number is, so he picks a seat at random. After that, each person who gets on the plane sits in their assigned seat if it's available, otherwise they will choose an open seat at random to sit in.
The flight is full and you are last in line.  
 
What is the probability that you get to sit in your assigned seat?
IP Logged
Altamira_64
Junior Member
**





   


Posts: 116
Re: airplane riddle  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2012, 11:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Let's start by saying that Steve will sit in his own place with probability 1%.
Then the second passenger will sit in his assigned seat with probability 99%.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler
*****



Some people are average, some are just mean.

   


Gender: male
Posts: 13640
Re: airplane riddle  
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10th, 2012, 1:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't think the logic of that is correct; although the conclusion it leads to is.  
There is a 1% probability that Steve will sit in the second passengers seat and therefor the second passenger has a 99% chance of sitting in his assigned seat. (i.e. not because Steve has a 1% chance of sitting in his own seat, but because of the 1% chance of him sitting in the second's seat)
 
Anyway, here's a previous thread for this puzzle.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Altamira_64
Junior Member
**





   


Posts: 116
Re: airplane riddle  
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 8:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I see.
Thanks for posting the link to the other thread.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.4!
Forum software copyright 2000-2004 Yet another Bulletin Board