wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Can we see our face?????? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 11:01pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Icarus, william wu, Eigenray, towr, SMQ, Grimbal)
   Can we see our face??????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can we see our face??????  (Read 1795 times)
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

Re: Can we see our face??????  
« Reply #25 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 9:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 9th, 2007, 8:43pm, ThudanBlunder wrote:

Or, by reductio ad absurdum, its rest mass is precisely zero.

Fair enough  Tongue

srn347, the ameoba's comment was my twisted sense of humor and irony manifesting itself... but more complicated doesn't necessarily mean better... yes, we are the top of the food chain now (and to be honest I rather like it that way) but life, and all things for that matter, tend to fluctuate with time. We advance for awhile and then we simplify... think of it like a pendulum, we swing one way for awhile until the momentum changes and then we flow in the opposite direction. But anyway, I ask you a question, is complicated always better than simple? Why would you take the long effort-wasting path when there is an equally effective and more efficient means of doing something that has far less complexity?
The same goes for any organism or living thing, each one has a job that fits it into the evolutionary jigsaw puzzle perfectly, and if all that is required to do the work adequately is a single-celled organism, why spend excess effort creating a multi-celled organism that would do the same job. There would be no gain in creating something more complicated. Entropy increases enough as it is... I see no reason to speed it up...  Undecided
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
srn437

the dark lord rises again....

« Reply #26 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 9:16pm »

We are more complex, I'll admit. We are also smarter than other organisms. But telekinesis is our big advantage.
IP Logged
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

« Reply #27 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 9:31pm »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 9:16pm, srn347 wrote:
We are more complex, I'll admit. We are also smarter than other organisms. But telekinesis is our big advantage.

Define "smarter"... we have a higher capacity to reason and self-awareness, but I have to say that humans can be some of the dumbest creatures you will ever meet and often lack even the most basic common sense that lower mammals have mastered.
As for telekinesis... the jury is still out on that one. As I have yet to see a demonstration, I am not convinced it exists... however by the same token science doesn't prove it doesn't, so I will be politely non-commital until I see actual evidence.
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
srn437

« Reply #28 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 9:36pm »

It takes years of practice, and people who don't believe it exists won't be able to do it. But more relevantely, if we are the dumbest creatures on earth, how come we are the ones with weapons used for hunting them? Or what about us being the only one aware of all(or most) of the other species?
IP Logged
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

« Reply #29 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 9:54pm »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 9:36pm, srn347 wrote:
It takes years of practice, and people who don't believe it exists won't be able to do it. But more relevantely, if we are the dumbest creatures on earth, how come we are the ones with weapons used for hunting them? Or what about us being the only one aware of all(or most) of the other species?

I said "can be" for a reason... we have the capability to out smart them... and for the most part we do. Or rather some people do and the rest of the population benefits from the other's technological or intellectual advancement. I am by no means implying that every human is dumb... just that we tend to think of ourselves in such a superior fashion we often overlook great weaknesses and underestimate the abilities of things we don't respect. Case in point read up on the Darwin Awards  Wink
As for telekinesis, I neither believe or disbelieve... I am merely ambivalent. Additionally, your disbelief statement is true of most things... psychologically, if you believe you can't do something, you create a self-fulfilling prophesy by always creating some obstical (or excuse) to impede success. However whether telekinesis falls under the category of mental blockage or doesn't lie in the realm of impossibility, I couldn't tell you. I would have to see solid evidence to make further conclusions.
IP Logged

srn437

« Reply #30 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 9:59pm »

Some humans are dumb. But many are smart. It doesn't matter which one there are more of, since there are billions of both. Many people think 1/0=0, which is dumb. Most(if not all) of the people on these forums are smart.
IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #31 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 10:00pm »

Teleportation IS possible.  But it is not as sexy as you might believe.  It is called a car.
IP Logged
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

« Reply #32 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 10:10pm »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 9:59pm, srn347 wrote:
Some humans are dumb. But many are smart. It doesn't matter which one there are more of, since there are billions of both. Many people think 1/0=0, which is dumb. Most(if not all) of the people on these forums are smart.

Did I ever say otherwise? I am just pointing out that we are not so far different from our fellow organisms... we have higher capabilities in some areas, but we don't always employ them. That was all I meant.

And thank you Grimbal  Roll Eyes but I was refering to the more physically moving things with your mind alone and no usage of mechanical force, etc. or instant transportation of yourself from one place to another without crossing the distance in between (at least not in this dimension... but let's not get into quantum physics and string theory tonight... Tongue )
IP Logged

srn437

« Reply #33 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 10:14pm »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 10:00pm, Grimbal wrote:
Teleportation IS possible.  But it is not as sexy as you might believe.  It is called a car.

Not transportation, teleportation! And who said it was sexy?!
IP Logged
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

« Reply #34 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 10:55pm »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 10:14pm, srn347 wrote:

Not transportation, teleportation! And who said it was sexy?!

Actually, he isn't wrong... "tele" means distance and portation means to move, so to teleport, means to move over a distance. A car can move you over a distance, therefore you can consider a car a teleportation device in the literal and practical definition, as that is the one most commonly used by people for traveling.
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #35 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 12:33am »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 8:48pm, srn347 wrote:
Ameoba's take over the world?! Humans are at the top of the chain
They only think they are.
There is no top of the chain. Every organism has its niche for which it is most suited. Cockroaches will quite probably outlive us as a species.

Quote:
and we have telekinesis(which hasn't been unlocked yet).
If it isn't unlocked yet, how do they know?
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #36 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 12:40am »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 9:36pm, srn347 wrote:
It takes years of practice, and people who don't believe it exists won't be able to do it.
Well, to be fair, neither will those that do believe. Which is why they consistently failed to ever demonstrate it in the presence of any skeptic.
Believing is seeing.

Quote:
But more relevantely, if we are the dumbest creatures on earth, how come we are the ones with weapons used for hunting them? Or what about us being the only one aware of all(or most) of the other species?

From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
Quote:
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much – the wheel, New York, wars and so on – whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man – for precisely the same reasons.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #37 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 2:26am »

Have you ever seen The Matrix Trilogy? There is a line that people are viruses, they use up all resources, polute the area then move onto the next, killing as they go. Are you trying to say that we are as smart as one-celled organisms here according to that quotation?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #38 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 7:52am »

I think that I possess the powers of telekenesis. Moreover I am a slave to it in my attempts to function. That is, my mind conceives of, say, moving a cup, and irresistible forces manipulate my muscles to perform the incredible feat. Never once have my muscels performed the task independent of my mind first so willing it. Quite literally, mind over matter! Or am I missing something in what telekenesis actually is?
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
srn437

« Reply #39 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 6:57pm »

If you are, here it is http://www.wingmakers.co.nz/Teleportation.html

everything you need to know about it.
IP Logged
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

« Reply #40 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 7:23pm »

on Sep 10th, 2007, 6:57pm, srn347 wrote:
If you are, here it is http://www.wingmakers.co.nz/Teleportation.html

everything you need to know about it.

Sir Col was being facitious...  Roll Eyes Take a look at the discription once again...  Wink
IP Logged

srn437

« Reply #41 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 9:18pm »

The muscles aren't involved in telekinesis.
IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #42 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 12:14am »

Just to clarify, psychokinesis is the process of manipulating matter by the power of the mind; such as, bending spoons, teleportation, and so on. Telekinesis is one aspect of psychokinesis which involves moving matter.  

srn347, I am genuinely interested in hearing a coherent response on this subject, so I would be interested in your thoughts on the following three questions relating to telekinesis...  

1) Think about a game of snooker. The blue ball moved because it was struck by the cue ball. The cue ball moved because it was struck by the cue. And so on. If the result of telekinesis is moving an object, then what is its immediate antecedent?  

2) If we trace back the chain of causes and effects, where did it originate? That is, what was the first occurrence of physical activity?  

3) How does the mind - the thought - span this divide?
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
srn437

« Reply #43 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 8:15pm »

on Sep 11th, 2007, 12:14am, Sir Col wrote:
Just to clarify, psychokinesis is the process of manipulating matter by the power of the mind; such as, bending spoons, teleportation, and so on. Telekinesis is one aspect of psychokinesis which involves moving matter.  

srn347, I am genuinely interested in hearing a coherent response on this subject, so I would be interested in your thoughts on the following three questions relating to telekinesis...  

1) Think about a game of snooker. The blue ball moved because it was struck by the cue ball. The cue ball moved because it was struck by the cue. And so on. If the result of telekinesis is moving an object, then what is its immediate antecedent?  

2) If we trace back the chain of causes and effects, where did it originate? That is, what was the first occurrence of physical activity?  

3) How does the mind - the thought - span this divide?

Antecedent? I think it originated with God, or the 7 meridians or something. The mind is what is used, but not so much thought. Anyway, back to the subject so I can prove that I'm not a spammer. Assuming you(or the mirror) won't break, light would move just as fast as you so no light would enter or exit the mirror. The image would be the same as before you moved at light speed.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »