wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Complex lines in three dimensions »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 4:21am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   complex analysis
(Moderators: SMQ, Icarus, Eigenray, towr, ThudnBlunder, william wu, Grimbal)
   Complex lines in three dimensions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Complex lines in three dimensions  (Read 2500 times)
Benoit_Mandelbrot

Almost doesn't count.

Complex lines in three dimensions  
« on: Jan 15th, 2004, 9:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been anylizing the connection between complex numbers and functions, and I've found a way to plot complex numbers in three dimensions.  This would be a 3d parametric function [t,real(f(t)),imag(f(t))].  The z-axis would introduce the imaginary part of the output number, adding three dimensions to functions.  This would be a curved line, not a surface.

Update:  OOps! my bad!  I ment to put in the functions, but I must have like not somehow.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2004, 8:44am by Benoit_Mandelbrot » IP Logged

Because of modulo, different bases, and significant digits, all numbers equal each other!
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Complex lines in three dimensions  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 1:21pm »

I don't really see much of an advantage over simply plotting the real and imaginary part seperately in a 2D plot. Not in the last place because our screens are still not 3D (unlike what sci-fi has been promissing us for years)

Going into the 3D dimension would be more helpfull for plotting [bbc] to [bbc] functions though, since I'd be hard pressed to put the input on one axis in this case.  
so we'd have [Re(x), Im(x), Re(f(x))] and [Re(x), Im(x), Im(f(x))] in the same plot. This however would give two surfaces.. (But that's to be expected with a two dimensional input)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 4:41pm »

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but I don't see what your point is here. If I understand you correctly (if t has real and imaginary parts, you can't plot it as one of your three coordinates like you show), what you are actually talking about is graphing a function
f : [bbr] [to] [bbc] : t [mapsto] f(t)

as the 3D-curve {(t, re(f(t)), im(f(t))) | t [in] [bbr] }.

Despite towr's doubts, there are times when it is handy to plot curves into [bbc] this way rather than as a parametric curve in the plane. But this is hardly new. People have been doing exactly this practically from the days of DeCartes.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Benoit_Mandelbrot

Almost doesn't count.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16th, 2004, 8:47am »

Yea, I ment to do [t,real(f(t)),imag(f(t))], not to do the silly one I did before.  Shocked

Hey, I'm only 18 and still in high school.  I don't have a phd in mathematics just yet, so I don't know everything about math.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2004, 9:28am by Benoit_Mandelbrot » IP Logged

Because of modulo, different bases, and significant digits, all numbers equal each other!
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16th, 2004, 3:26pm »

Unfortunately it's true that just about every simple good idea someone else has already had some time before. Math grows at the edges. It's extremely rare to come across something undone in the middle.

But I asked because I was unsure that I had interpreted your comments correctly.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »